You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat "Thank you, officer."

View Poll Results: Have you thanked a police officer for writing you a ticket... for some reason?
Yes! What the hell, it was like my mouth was moving on its own! 3 50.00%
No way! I work to prevent the perpetuation of that sort of verbal oppression. Or I dislike cops. 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2005, 12:11 PM   #1
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Default "Thank you, officer."

I was thinking today about the last time I was pulled over (I went through a very brief period of extremely fast driving about a year and a half ago that brought me 3 speeding tickets over the course of a month), and I remembered that after being told I was breaking the law, handed a ticket, and told by the officer that he was being nice and could have hit me for a lot more money or other infractions, etc, I very politely thanked him before he left. I did that on two out of the three tickets I got. What the hell is that about? Why did I thank that man for verbally violating me and fining me a ton of money? Was it just because he was "letting me off light?" I wasn't even going that fast. It's like I thanked him for raping me "very gently."*

Anyway, I was wondering: Has anyone else found themselves - out of their mouth being on autopilot, out of fear, way excessive politeness, or some other reason - thanking a police officer for writing you a goddamn ticket?

* only quite different, obviously, since no actual rape was involved.

Last edited by Jake; 06-16-2005 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:32 PM   #2

I don't actually drive, but i have had problems with the police before and i find that the police have two different groups within them.

there are the ones who generally care about your problems and the ones who dont care and just want to get away.

All in all, i think that the police are useless and your better off with out them.

Unless they are the kind type but that is very rare
Old 06-16-2005, 12:35 PM   #3
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuttyGal
All in all, i think that the police are useless and your better off with out them.

Unless they are the kind type but that is very rare
It's easy to have that attitude until something goes wrong. Lets not turn the thread into that discussion though
Old 06-16-2005, 12:35 PM   #4
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

I always thank them because of excessive politeness on my part. Personal feelings aside, they are just doing their jobs, and talking sweetly has gotten several speeding tickets of mine reduced to affordable levels.
What's really annoying is when one of them flirts with you after writing you a ticket. I felt like asking him "Didn't they teach you how this is supposed to work at the academy? First you flirt, and if I don't respond correctly, then you write me a ticket". There's nothing quite like a cop who's all out of sequence.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 06-16-2005, 12:42 PM   #5

So true lol! Cops should relearn that
Old 06-16-2005, 12:46 PM   #6
Banned User

I've been pulled over thrice, not once was I given a ticket.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:46 PM   #7
Epinionated.

I'm waiting for a BF2 buddy. Although the wine's kicked in.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:55 PM   #8
fov
Rattenmonster

I got pulled over in my boss's car once because her license plate sticker was outdated (she kept forgetting to get her smog test). It wasn't my car so the guy didn't write me a ticket. I was still super-apologetic, though... I think the uniform just commands it. I could never be rude to someone who had the power to get me into big trouble.

Anyway, the guy was pretty nice to me, probably since it wasn't my car and since I looked like I was about to cry. The about to cry thing doesn't always work. Or so I hear. That's the only time I've been pulled over, so I haven't had opportunity to try it again.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:56 PM   #9
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I got pulled over in my boss's car once because her license plate sticker was outdated (she kept forgetting to get her smog test). It wasn't my car so the guy didn't write me a ticket. I was super-apologetic, though. They must see through that... I mean, don't they?

Anyway, the guy was pretty nice to me, probably since it wasn't my car and since I looked like I was about to cry. The about to cry thing doesn't always work. Or so I hear. That's the only time I've been pulled over, so I haven't had opportunity to try it again.
Did you give him "favors?"
Old 06-16-2005, 12:56 PM   #10
merely human

tempsie
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-16-2005, 12:57 PM   #11
fov
Rattenmonster

Oops - I edited my post after you responded.

And no, I didn't.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:59 PM   #12
Banned User

Yes you did! I was the cop. I remember!

me
Old 06-16-2005, 03:16 PM   #13

It's just common sense to be on your best behavior when interfacing with LE. They have guns and tasers and clubs (at least in the US) and many, many friends with like equipment. I've never actually thanked a cop for a ticket but I usually say "sorry". We've had three lethal shootings in Portland in the last year when a citizen (all African American btw) got in a cop's face. One when they were only acting slightly erratic. So sit with your hands folded in your lap and smile. You'll live longer. At least in Portland. Unless you're into "suicide by cop".
Old 06-16-2005, 06:44 PM   #14
The Dartmaster

There's a difference between getting in a cops face and saying "thank you" though. I'm not saying "you either say thank you, or you act like a belligerent f*ck" - there's a pretty big unaddressed gap there! I am never rude to a cop who pulls me over... there's no real reason to do that, but it just weirds me out that I thank them as if they've done me some courtesy by chastising and fining me.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 06-16-2005, 08:01 PM   #15
Bad Influence

Pride is functionally worthless, so it doesn't really cost you anything to lose a little bit of it now and again.
If it helps, think of the situation this way: You're not thanking the cop for chastising you and writing you one citation, you're thanking him for not drawing his gun on you, hauling you off to jail, and writing you every possible citation he can think of at the moment.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 06-16-2005, 09:01 PM   #16
The Dartmaster

Is it an issue of pride? It just weirded me out the last time it happened to hear those words coming out of my mouth given the situation.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:37 PM   #17
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
Is it an issue of pride? It just weirded me out the last time it happened to hear those words coming out of my mouth given the situation.
"Thank you sir, may I have another?"

I understand what you're saying. It's like thanking someone for... well, for taking your money. There's something kind of degrading about it.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:49 PM   #18
Bad Influence

It might be an issue of pride, but I don't know you well enough to say for sure.
I do know a lot of cops, and I know what an utterly thankless job they have to do every day for not a lot of money. I know how they see practically everyone they meet when those people are angry, scared, or intoxicated, and how those people almost never say "Thank you" for the cop getting them out of a jam or even saving their lives. I know it doesn't hurt me a bit to say "Thank you" for the job they do in putting their lives on the line to keep me safe and secure.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 06-17-2005, 12:35 AM   #19
Doctor Watson

It is just the way some people are, especially in some professions. Like bouncers. They must have authority. And when you have authority, you can make a person do almost anything at all.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:36 AM   #20
SamNMax

Where's the "I'm a little shit who is not old enough to drive" option?