You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2005, 10:33 PM   #61
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Will you take Geoff with you?

He gets all bummed out that I'd rather play adventure games and build dollhouses than go hiking.
I'm already going with my cousin. You should go... it's an awesome hike.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:34 PM   #62
fov
Rattenmonster

But it involves sleeping outdoors, right?

*shudder* That squicks me out.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:35 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
Also, I just re-read that post and noticed that I missed the "not" in "not into hiking". Sorry about that. Half Dome probably isn't your thing, then
I'm not sure whether you're talking to me or fov (I've been sleeping late ), but assuming you're talking to me, I'm into hiking, as long as it doesn't involve sleeping outdoors. ie: 1 day maximum.
But if anyone has any nice 1 day hikes to recommend, it'd be cool.

EDIT: Half Dome looks like it could be done in 1 (tough) day though... unless it's too steep or dangerous?
Old 06-01-2005, 02:01 AM   #64
Epinionated.

Yosemite? Apparently it can be done, but it is VERY tough.

Stay at the Yosemite Bug hostel (closest and best cheap accomodation - book in advance tho') then check the weather for your planned visit and try. At least go up to the waterfall, a good few hours hike up and down to the top and back. That's a great hike with brilliant views.

http://www.yosemitebug.com/

edit - can't tell you how useful the California rough guide was btw.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:23 AM   #65
Friendly Server Admin

Half Dome can be done in one day, absolutely. That's how I've always done it. We usually leave at about 6am so as to get up the steepest bit before it heats up too much. Then the rest is a pretty casual hike, with lots of rest stops and such. Then we usually spend about an hour at the top, and head back down. I think it usually works out that we get back to the trailhead at 6pm or so.

And Emily, there are places that do not require sleeping outside
Old 06-01-2005, 07:45 AM   #66

Quote:
Half Dome can be done in one day, absolutely. That's how I've always done it. We usually leave at about 6am so as to get up the steepest bit before it heats up too much. Then the rest is a pretty casual hike, with lots of rest stops and such. Then we usually spend about an hour at the top, and head back down. I think it usually works out that we get back to the trailhead at 6pm or so.

And Emily, there are places that do not require sleeping outside
Sounds tempting .
Old 06-01-2005, 08:24 AM   #67
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Sounds tempting .
Well, you can look at my photos when I do it in three weeks and see how it looks to you

...and Emily, for the outdoors-challenged:
http://www.yosemitepark.com/content2...D=24&PageID=46
Old 06-01-2005, 09:13 AM   #68
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
...and Emily, for the outdoors-challenged:
http://www.yosemitepark.com/content2...D=24&PageID=46
Ooh... that actually looks kinda nice.

(I'm such a wimp.)
Old 06-01-2005, 09:31 AM   #69
Epinionated.

Yosemite Bug's cooler!

Plus it's actually got some of the best food I tasted on my trip around Cali. Which is saying something as I stayed at one of the posher Kings Canyon lodges too! It was off-season...

http://www.yosemite.org/vryos/TurtlebackCam.htm

Weathers good too right now.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:38 PM   #70

Hey, fov, or others, do you know of any nice cocktail bars in SF (or maybe Palo Alto)?
No trip is complete without the customarity cocktail bar testing.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:14 PM   #71
Friendly Server Admin

I know nothing of SF Bars... sorry

Restaurantwise, I can recommend Lulu if you're not on a super tight budget:
http://www.restaurantlulu.com/restaurants.html

Make reservations if you go for dinner.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:57 PM   #72

Quote:
I know nothing of SF Bars... sorry

Restaurantwise, I can recommend Lulu if you're not on a super tight budget:
http://www.restaurantlulu.com/restaurants.html

Make reservations if you go for dinner.
Funny, I'm pretty sure that I've heard about this restaurant, but I can't for the life of me remember where, and the screenshots don't ring a bell...
Old 06-06-2005, 12:12 AM   #73
Epinionated.

You only have to walk around a corner in San Fran to find a good resteraunt. The Castro has tons of great café-bars. I did go to a great cocktail bar on Mission but can't remember the name.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:53 AM   #74
fov
Rattenmonster

Of course I know good bars in San Francisco. But it would help to know what neighborhood you're going to be in. There are just too many to rattle off names.

One of my favorites in the Mission is Blondie's. It's right around the corner from a good crepe place called Ti Couz, if you want to give Americanized crepes a try. Also nearby is a yummy hole in the wall Indian place called Pakwan (not fancy at all though), and Good Vibrations, SF's famous sex shop.

If you are going to be in the Marina at all and like steak, go to Izzy's. They have really yummy sides (and, I'm told, really yummy steak). There are tons of bars and little clubs in that neighborhood but the one we always wind up at is a dive bar called the Comet Club - mostly because we know everyone who works there. There are also plenty of little glitzy clubs and wine bars and stuff in that neighborhood. There's also a really good Italian place in the Marina but I forget the name. Can find out if you're interested. If you want Italian, though, go to North Beach - have a drink at Vesuvio where Jack Kerouac used to hang out and eat in any number of awesome restaurants (I have one to suggest but again, forget the name - it'll come to me) - this is also where the Stinking Rose is, I think someone already mentioned it.

In the Presidio area - the G Bar and Frankie's Bohemian Cafe are good places to drink and eat (respectively).

Downtown - the Starlight Room (top floor of the Francis Drake hotel) is apparently really exciting to tourists. There are pictures of celebrities that have been in there all over the walls. We go there because we know the maitre d'.

And about a zillion other places. But these are some of the ones my BF and I frequent (when we manage to drag ourselves out of the house).

As for Palo Alto, it's been a long time since I lived there (and I wasn't legal yet!) so I'm not sure. But there are probably some cool places on University.

Last edited by fov; 06-06-2005 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:21 AM   #75
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
... and Good Vibrations, SF's famous sex shop.
Pff... yeah, but they can't make a margarita worth crap
Old 06-06-2005, 10:12 AM   #76
merely human

Perhaps, but they can certainly help the fun after you've had a few margaritias.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-06-2005, 11:54 AM   #77
fov
Rattenmonster

Tommy's Mexican is the place for margaritas, but I hesitated to mention it because it's way out in the boonies.

(Not really. Geary and 25th. Not exactly a hotbed of activity... but 20 blocks closer to civilization than my house!)

I can actually recommend about a dozen places in that neighborhood (Richmond District), if you're planning to be there. It's a good area to visit after spending time in Golden Gate park, Ocean Beach, or the Legion of Honor. Plenty of good restaurants (many Asian, but I also have a favorite Italian place on Clement street) and the bars are mostly Irish pubs.

I also thought of a restaurant on the Peninsula you might want to try - Shiok in Menlo Park. I used to eat there like once a week when I worked in the area. Very yummy food, with flavors unlike any I've tasted elsewhere (even at other Singaporian restaurants).

Last edited by fov; 06-06-2005 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:58 AM   #78
fov
Rattenmonster

The yummy Italian place in North Beach that I mentioned is called Sodini's and their food is heavenly. We ate there last night. There was a long wait for a table (always is) but we sat down at the bar and were going to order there and then the hostess slipped us in to an empty table, which was really cool of her. And the food is just really good. They are on Green street at Grant.

Last edited by fov; 06-11-2005 at 09:51 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-05-2005, 02:05 AM   #79

*BUMP*

So I'm taking off next monday.
Any last time recommendations?

Also, do any of the locals know about game stores where I could find some cheap (or not so cheap) old adventure games?
Old 08-05-2005, 02:11 AM   #80
merely human

Best martini can be found at the Persian Aub Zam Zam Room in the Haight-Ashbury district (that is, if Bruno the old crabby bartender is still alive). Best seafood for cheap is at Swan Oyster Depot over in Pacific Heights (stay away from the eateries on the pier, too expensive).

platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 08-05-2005 at 02:18 AM.