You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Happy Birthday, Mag!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2005, 06:48 AM   #21
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
It's almost as though there's a sort of shared communal opinion that members are expected to have, and threads like that one had become more about maintaining the status quo than about having an actual debate.
Even more so without you around.

In any case, nice to see you here, and happy birthday. I hope you went out and drank yourself silly last night (although I expect you probably went out, got into a bar, and realized how not exciting it was and went home disappointed. That seems to be the trend.)
Old 04-26-2005, 01:07 PM   #22
OUATIJ Creator

Subtlety has never been one of my strong suits.

Ragnar Tornquist and I would get along great...
Old 04-27-2005, 10:56 AM   #23
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I hope you went out and drank yourself silly last night (although I expect you probably went out, got into a bar, and realized how not exciting it was and went home disappointed. That seems to be the trend.)
Nah. I was never really tempted to start drinking to begin with. So I was spared the disappointment. No, I celebrated my birthday with the three best things in the world--chicken wings, Mountain Dew, and Sin City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
Subtlety has never been one of my strong suits.

Ragnar Tornquist and I would get along great...
Eh, don't sweat it. Subtlety is for pussies.

mag
Old 04-27-2005, 11:32 AM   #24
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
I celebrated my birthday with the three best things in the world--chicken wings, Mountain Dew, and Sin City.
What did you buy?

Spoiler:
Sin City is a sex shop in Finland.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:16 PM   #25
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
Eh, don't sweat it. Subtlety is for pussies.
Wow. Nicely said. In my view, there are times when subtlety is welcome, but just not very often in the real world. Heh.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:20 PM   #26
merely human

Excuse me? Subtlety is only seen as being for pussies by those who don't possess the skills to master subtlety. Sour grapes, baby. Sour grapes.

And mag, you need to hang out here again. Just because we don't agree with you all the time does not mean we don't love you, okay? Get over yourself, we do love you and we missed your ass.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-27-2005, 05:08 PM   #27
OUATIJ Creator

Trep, heh...allow me to clarify... I think subtlety has a place in say, art of all kinds. But in real life, I just find less of a use for it. I can't speak for mag, but I'm sure he could explain himself why he feels the way he feels.

And I stand by my rip at Ragnar, lol.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:12 PM   #28
mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Just because we don't agree with you all the time does not mean we don't love you, okay?
I know, I know. You have other reasons for not loving me.

Quote:
Get over yourself, we do love you and we missed your ass.
What can I say? It's hard to get over yourself when you're this damn sexy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
Trep, heh...allow me to clarify... I think subtlety has a place in say, art of all kinds. But in real life, I just find less of a use for it. I can't speak for mag, but I'm sure he could explain himself why he feels the way he feels.
I don't think it's sour grapes at all. One could argue that subtlety in conversation, which is the kind of subtlety we're talking about, is little better than lying because it is merely an attempt to hide what you really mean by making it sound pretty. I don't necessarily agree with that assessment totally of course, but I think there is something to be said for the general idea.

Anyway, the main point I was trying to make was simply that I think it's funny to talk about subtlety in a way that is so lacking in...well, subtlety.

It's ironic, you see.

mag
Old 04-29-2005, 01:06 PM   #29
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
I know, I know. You have other reasons for not loving me.
Such as.....?

Quote:
What can I say? It's hard to get over yourself when you're this damn sexy.
Admit it, you love making out with yourself.

Too bad you only like girls. Ah well....

Quote:
I don't think it's sour grapes at all. One could argue that subtlety in conversation, which is the kind of subtlety we're talking about, is little better than lying because it is merely an attempt to hide what you really mean by making it sound pretty. I don't necessarily agree with that assessment totally of course, but I think there is something to be said for the general idea.

Anyway, the main point I was trying to make was simply that I think it's funny to talk about subtlety in a way that is so lacking in...well, subtlety.

It's ironic, you see.
You make it sound like you're mistaking euphemism with subtlety. Subtlety isn't lying at all, nor is it hiding anything. In fact it's more akin to being a decidedly sexy, nuanced way of conveying one's self. Sometimes it sneaks into you through a side door, other times it's a little time bomb, it explodes in you a little after.

Subtlety isn't necessarily the best tactic for all situations, but you already know that.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-29-2005, 02:30 PM   #30
Mostly absent

Happy Belated Birthday, Mag! I miss you.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:27 PM   #31
mag

Quote:
Such as.....?
Such as making mommy leave us. You always said that was my fault.

Quote:
Admit it, you love making out with yourself.
Who wouldn't love making out with me?

Quote:
Too bad you only like girls. Ah well....
Damn! You've found my secret!

Quote:
You make it sound like you're mistaking euphemism with subtlety. Subtlety isn't lying at all, nor is it hiding anything. In fact it's more akin to being a decidedly sexy, nuanced way of conveying one's self. Sometimes it sneaks into you through a side door, other times it's a little time bomb, it explodes in you a little after.

Subtlety isn't necessarily the best tactic for all situations, but you already know that.
A euphemism is just one way of being subtle, isn't it? And the way society practically forces people to use a "decidedly sexy, nuanced way of conveying one's self" has led to more miscommunications and hurt feelings than just about anything else you could think of.

I'm not saying subtlety is always bad, of course. As with everything else, it's all about context. But I would say that in general, it tends to be overused and misused quite often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsius
Happy Belated Birthday, Mag! I miss you.
How do you like this? He's the one who's been in the military, and he misses me.

Thanks, Mattsius. Nice hearin' from you.

mag
Old 05-01-2005, 02:19 AM   #32
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag

How do you like this? He's the one who's been in the military, and he misses me.

mag

I miss you too!

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 05-01-2005, 09:44 AM   #33
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag

I'm missing everyone a hell of a lot. It sucks being away like this. 68 days to go...

...but 112 behind me, wohoo!
Old 05-02-2005, 06:07 PM   #34
mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
I miss you too!

-
Hey, I just noticed that while I've been gone your post count has almost caught up to mine. I may have to do something about that.

mag
Old 05-02-2005, 11:15 PM   #35
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
Hey, I just noticed that while I've been gone your post count has almost caught up to mine. I may have to do something about that.

mag

Mwuahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

It's all part of the Evil Kittys plan!

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!