View Single Post
Old 04-29-2005, 01:06 PM   #29
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
I know, I know. You have other reasons for not loving me.
Such as.....?

Quote:
What can I say? It's hard to get over yourself when you're this damn sexy.
Admit it, you love making out with yourself.

Too bad you only like girls. Ah well....

Quote:
I don't think it's sour grapes at all. One could argue that subtlety in conversation, which is the kind of subtlety we're talking about, is little better than lying because it is merely an attempt to hide what you really mean by making it sound pretty. I don't necessarily agree with that assessment totally of course, but I think there is something to be said for the general idea.

Anyway, the main point I was trying to make was simply that I think it's funny to talk about subtlety in a way that is so lacking in...well, subtlety.

It's ironic, you see.
You make it sound like you're mistaking euphemism with subtlety. Subtlety isn't lying at all, nor is it hiding anything. In fact it's more akin to being a decidedly sexy, nuanced way of conveying one's self. Sometimes it sneaks into you through a side door, other times it's a little time bomb, it explodes in you a little after.

Subtlety isn't necessarily the best tactic for all situations, but you already know that.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien