You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2003, 07:58 AM   #1
Umbilicus Mundi

Default Bittorrent sucks

I hate it. It *ucks up my browser and when some bad shit happens it leaves the files 'open' so they can't be deleted (except in dos mode).
Old 11-08-2003, 08:48 AM   #2
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

The official bittorrent client isn't the best to use for windows. Try Burst!

http://krypt.dyndns.org:81/torrent/

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 11-08-2003, 09:01 AM   #3
Cognitive Dissonant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnar
The official bittorrent client isn't the best to use for windows. Try Burst!

http://krypt.dyndns.org:81/torrent/
What would be the benefit of using something like this as opposed to KaZaa?
Old 11-08-2003, 09:07 AM   #4
Knowledgeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_K
What would be the benefit of using something like this as opposed to KaZaa?
This isn't a shared network for piracy.

This is a way for people to greatly lower the bandwidth they need for spreading files (of course this means it can be used for piracy, just like the normal web can be used for that). It works that you put out a file (called something.torrent) with pointers to a bittorrent server, then people can download the file using a bittorrent client. If there are several clients connected to the server, only one of them need to get their data from the original source, the other getting them from other people that has already downloaded some part of it already. Thus the bandwidth for the original source is greatly reduced (as opposed to if everyone would download directly from the original source).

I.e. it is a great way to distribute files without the need for lots of bandwidth.

Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 11-08-2003, 09:14 AM   #5
Cognitive Dissonant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnar
This isn't a shared network for piracy.

This is a way for people to greatly lower the bandwidth they need for spreading files (of course this means it can be used for piracy, just like the normal web can be used for that). It works that you put out a file (called something.torrent) with pointers to a bittorrent server, then people can download the file using a bittorrent client. If there are several clients connected to the server, only one of them need to get their data from the original source, the other getting them from other people that has already downloaded some part of it already. Thus the bandwidth for the original source is greatly reduced (as opposed to if everyone would download directly from the original source).

I.e. it is a great way to distribute files without the need for lots of bandwidth.
Piracy issue notwithstanding; I use KaZaa to download public domain (i.e. Samaurai Jack, Simpsons, etc) - and it seems to work okay. I'm always in search of something better though, and I tried Bit Torrent and jeez...one show was going to take like 25 hours or more - and I have DSL. Just curious.
Old 11-08-2003, 10:11 AM   #6
Knowledgeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_K
Piracy issue notwithstanding; I use KaZaa to download public domain (i.e. Samaurai Jack, Simpsons, etc) - and it seems to work okay. I'm always in search of something better though, and I tried Bit Torrent and jeez...one show was going to take like 25 hours or more - and I have DSL. Just curious.
If there is noone else downloading you will probably have to be content with the speed of the original source. The more people downloading (and thus uploading to other people), the better speed for download.

It functions almost exactly like downloading a normal file via http, except that you also share downloaded parts with other people, making you get a speedup.

you can also note that if you don't share the file you are downloading with others, you might be slowed down (people who do share goes first).

Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 11-08-2003, 10:57 PM   #7
Joop Sloop

(how are simpsons public domain?)

If only fileplanet would use bittorrent :/

or any other big download site...
Old 11-08-2003, 11:19 PM   #8
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

I've actually seen a few big download sites with the option to download using bittorrent. I've only used it a few times myself, and I don't currently have a client installed.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 11-09-2003, 12:23 AM   #9
Knowledgeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbreker

I prefer downloading via ftp or http as long as the server has good bandwitdh. Bittorrent makes much more sense for the server side than the client side, imo.

Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 11-09-2003, 02:06 AM   #10
soffistical

Some basics about bittorrent, in order to get the optimal speeds. Make sure that your hardware firewall have the ports 6881-6889 opened. If you are using software firewalls, most of them work simply by accepting the bnbt-header that the firewall will ask you about, although zonealarm requires a lot of fiddling with apparantly, should try another firewall just to see if there's any difference in case you are unsure.

Other is depending on which bittorrent client you're using, you can set the max upload speed. Usually around 80-90 percent of your total upping capability makes for the best balance, and will improve your speeds.

Best client to use out there IMO, is burst http://krypt.dyndns.org:81/torrent/ always a good idea too keep in touch with this place, since the guy that makes this client is updating it frequently. There are other good ones too, all a matter of personal taste of course.

Another useful proggie, http://torrentspy.sourceforge.net/ TorrentSpy, where you drag the torrent file to (sometimes it takes several tries) to see if a torrent is still active. Thing with torrenting is that as long as people keep their windows open, or re-open them after a while, the torrent is active. However, many simply quits after the torrent is finished which gives the torrent a pretty short lifespan many times. In those cases Kazaa rules, the files are there as long as people keep them on their disks. However, concerning speed and quality nothing touches bittorrent. And you certainly don't have to worry about fake files.

General advice, always right-click and save the torrent to your harddisk, so you have easy access to it in case you need to stop the process temporarily. You simply open it up again, whenever you want to, point it to the file it's torrenting for you, and off you go again.

The way torrenting is working, is that the file is chopped up in chunks, that are randomly sent to all leechers (downloaders) and they in turn send them randomly to eachother. Seeder is what you are when you have a complete file and just upload. Keep it open for as long as possible, AT LEAST upload as much as you've downloaded.

http://www.novasearch.net/ <--- for searching this site: ----> http://www.suprnova.org/ which is by far the largest depository of torrents around atm. There are other torrent-sites out there, but most of them end up on suprnova. However, suprnova is often having problems with their mirrors, so if you find that the torrent wont dl to your harddisk when you right-click the links, it usually means you have to refresh to reach a working mirror, and try again. Sometimes you even have to wait a few hours for the mirrors to kick back in.

*phew* Basic advices, hope it helped!
Old 11-09-2003, 07:57 AM   #11
Friendly Server Admin

Actually, recent clients use 6889-6999. If you have multiple NAT'd computers, it can be a pain. I had to modify a client to use a different port range
Old 11-09-2003, 08:20 AM   #12
soffistical

I believe that some have extended from 6889 to 6999, but it's still from 6881! However, it's highly unlikely at this point that that many ports are necessary! LMAO! I can imagine the pain!
Old 11-09-2003, 08:54 AM   #13
Umbilicus Mundi

Thanx for all the info, Emma!
Old 11-10-2003, 05:32 AM   #14
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma
I believe that some have extended from 6889 to 6999, but it's still from 6881! However, it's highly unlikely at this point that that many ports are necessary! LMAO! I can imagine the pain!
Er... yeah. Too many '9's confuse me
Old 11-10-2003, 09:50 AM   #15
:P ^^^ at tamz

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbreker

3dgamers.com does

And yeah, S. Jack and Simpsons are NOT public domain, and it is illegal to download/share eps. Welcome home.

through a broadband ISP | i am back to steal your bandwidth

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 11-10-2003, 01:03 PM   #16
Friendly Server Admin

Yeah... "public domain" isn't the same as "easy to find on Kazaa"
Old 11-10-2003, 01:28 PM   #17
:P ^^^ at tamz

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
Yeah... "public domain" isn't the same as "easy to find on Kazaa"
I remember reading a story about a 12 year old girl who found that out the hard way, courtesy of the RIAA.

through a broadband ISP | i am back to steal your bandwidth

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 11-10-2003, 02:37 PM   #18
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by twifkak
I remember reading a story about a 12 year old girl who found that out the hard way, courtesy of the RIAA.
Actually, a 12 year old girl and her single mother.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:52 PM   #19
Kosmonaut

Send a message via AIM to Phil25 Send a message via MSN to Phil25

Actually, a 12 year old girl, her single mother, her diabetic, bed-ridden, grandmother, and her puppy...with three legs.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:54 PM   #20
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

...and cancer.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright