You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat matrix revolutions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2003, 06:22 AM   #1
bad

Send a message via AIM to bad
Default matrix revolutions

omg..i cant believe at the end of the movie neo wakes up and realizes the whole thing was one big dream....lol....jp/jp..that would've really pissed me off. Some friends and i were discussing possible endings and thats one that came up. Revolutions was a very good movie and I would recomend it to anyone who saw the original as well as Reloaded.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:11 AM   #2
Umbilicus Mundi

Damn. I almost read that. You should have put a spoiler warning somewhere.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:38 AM   #3
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

It's not a spoiler... But you scared me for a second there!

Bad bad!
Old 11-06-2003, 08:44 AM   #4
Under pressure.

Heeeheee! That really cracked me up!

--Erwin
Old 11-06-2003, 10:48 PM   #5
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

hehe that came up here too.

I had a great idea for an ending, better than the real one. My idea was...

Spoiler:
...that it turns out it's a matrix within a matrix...

...but instead...

Spoiler:
crappy happy ending.
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 11-07-2003, 10:13 AM   #6
A Servicable Villain

You're mistaken, Dom, for it was a
Spoiler:
crappy happy ending that made me come out of the cinema feeling totally unfulfilled and thinking this was a crap-ending for a trilogy that got weaker and weaker when progressing. Not to say it wasn't a nice flick to watch, it was just so much weaker than Reloaded that it made me reconsider my view on that movie up to point where I actually think it's pretty good now.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:17 AM   #7

Actually, you're ALL mistaken. By the way, I was initially disappointed with Revolutions, but then I actually thought about it, and the more I think about it, the more I love it. It's great, IMHO.

Spoilers ahead:
>
>
>
>
>

First off, the ending is NOT happy. It's ambiguous, uncertain of the future, yet hopeful. When Sati raises the sun, it symbolizes a new era or epoch. That's what Hinduism is divided into, epochs. The cycle is broken, but a new epoch exists. One in which man and machine are at peace. However, when Sati asks the Oracle if we'll see Neo again, she says "Maybe". You know why? Because Neo is DEAD. His code/spirit along with Smith's reloads the Matrix at the end. But he can be reincarnated if he is needed. Revolutions is about hindu philosophy. Reloaded was buddhist. By the way, while it isn't a matrix within a matrix, the IDEA of it is the same. In this one the idea is blink of vishnu, which is pretty much what matrix within a matrix is. However, it's not so blatant. Remember, Neo's powers EXTEND BEYOND the Matrix. Why is that? It's logically explained in the movie, but think of this: if we define reality by what we can and cannot do, and suddenly the powers that Neo has in the Matrix (due to it not being real) have transcended the Matrix, what does that imply about the real world? What does that imply about the very nature of reality?

Answer: Reality is a matter of perception. the Matrix can be just as real as the real world. The real world may not even be that real anyway. In the Blink of Vishnu, Lord Vishnu dreams of a thousand universes that are created and destroyed within the blink of an eye. He wants to be close to man, but man rejects him and chooses suffering instead. But he comes down to earth in various incarnations to teach man how to become closer to God.

Well, Neo meets one of those incarnations right at the beginning. Rama is an incarnation of Vishnu. He is the first program to exhibit a "human" emotion: love. He will lead the way for programs to become closer to humans. In the Matrix trilogy there is no real divine intervention (at least not blatant). Humans are considered as gods to the machines and programs, while programs and machines are equated to what we are right now.

By the way, Neo is also representative of Vishnu. And Smith is representative of Shiva. Especially in the Superbrawl. It's a battle between Hindu gods, that's why the song is in Sanskrit (taken directly from the Upanishads, hindu texts). Vishnu is the protector of the world (like Neo is the protector of the Matrix), while Shiva is the destroyer of the world (like Smith is the destroyer of the Matrix).

Many complain about the lack of ideas in Revolutions, but that's not true at all. remember, Reloaded and Revolutions were filmed at the same time. For a reason: they were meant to be a dialogue between Buddhism and Hinduism. In Buddhism, there is no end. It's all about cycles. That's the ultimate destiny of the One, which is proposed in Reloaded. No free will, you can't exert any change. You just follow the cycle of life. Neo rejects this destiny. In Revolutions, it's Hinduism, where he exerts his free will, there is nobody controlling his actions. Everything that has a beginning has an end. Even Neo, because he is an incarnation of Vishnu as well. And he accepts this (his own mortality) to destroy Smith. By the way, another reason to believe Neo is Vishnu and Smith is Shiva especially in the Superbrawl is because shiva is a part of Vishnu, just like Smith is a part of Neo.

By the way, it's not that Neo is only Vishnu. He's also Buddha and Christ that's why you see him form a cross at the end. But he's nowhere near only Christ. IMHO, the Matrix trilogy owes more to eastern philosophy than Western.

>
>
>
>
>
>

End spoilers

IMHO, the ideas are incorporated in Revolutions better than in Reloaded.

For one thing though, many of the ideas in Reloaded are simply continued in Revolutions (similar ideology in both religions, different conclusions). It's the conclusions that both come to which really matter, IMHO.

Last edited by neovsmatrix; 11-07-2003 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:36 PM   #8
Kosmonaut

Send a message via AIM to Phil25 Send a message via MSN to Phil25

Spoiler:
Overall I liked Revolutions, but not in the way I'm sure the brother's probably intended me too. First of all the dialouge made me laugh more then it should've {some of the lines really didn't hit me the way they probably should've and sounded silly to me}. Also new ideas or "high brow" philos talk wasn't raised as much as it was in the other two {at all, actually}, which is a mixed bag. In the original it was great, cause these were new ideas, potentially scary ideas, but in the second they were too heavy handed. Course nothing was as heavy handed as the Christ references towards the end. And you know why the Oracle said maybe at the end? To leave room for a sequel. I don't really mind that much, history has taught us that two factions vying for the same land can't live in peaceful coexistance. As for the Buddha/Hindu contrast, I'll have to look into that and give it some though. I'm not well versed enough in the respective texts or in the movies for that fact, to challenge your claims.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:13 PM   #9
A Servicable Villain

Spoiler:
Hmm, I never heard about the buddhist/hindoist story up to now, and all of a sudden the movies seem to expand beyond their boundaries. I find it a pity though that it's not THAT clear in the movies, and that you are forced to delve deeper into obscure internet sources before the movies actually make sense. I understand this was the premise, but I don't think especially Revolutions invited the viewer to dive deeper into the material. I really REALLY like th religion-theories though (are they mere theories or have they been 'approved' by the makers yet?

I still stand by my complaints about the movie not being a good movie at all. Mediocre, at best, if you look at it from an abstract point of view. I reject the overdose of hairraising patriottism (they should've scrapped all the scenes with that pathetic 16-year old Zion 'soldier', the scenes with the two women with the rocketlauncher... it may be because of the times we live in, but I didn't like that whole "band of brothers"-feeling of the whole Zion-battle), I still dislike the fact that all subtle kungfu made way for brute, blunt, dumb Dragonball-bashing in the final battle between Smith & Neo. It was fun, but not Matrix. Though wonderful setting in the rain
Old 11-07-2003, 11:52 PM   #10
Prove it all night

Send a message via MSN to James

On the subject of continuing the license:

Spoiler:
The Matrix Online is the place to be. Apparently the Brothers Wackoski will be writing episodes of narrative for the game, which will function as the official continuation of the story.
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." - Thomas Edward Lawrence
Old 11-08-2003, 01:18 AM   #11
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by neovsmatrix
Actually, you're ALL mistaken. By the way, I was initially disappointed with Revolutions, but then I actually thought about it, and the more I think about it, the more I love it. It's great, IMHO.
Come on now and admit it. Stop making up things. It sucked!!!