You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Do you spend your weekends at dance clubs?

View Poll Results: Do you spend your weekends at dance clubs?
Yes, and I'm male (at least biologically). 14 17.95%
Yes, and I'm female (at least biologically). 1 1.28%
No, and I'm male (at least biologically). 46 58.97%
No, and I'm female (at least biologically). 10 12.82%
-Other- 7 8.97%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2005, 10:52 AM   #201
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Normally I don't go into clubs (not to mention that I am only 17), because I dislike smoke, loud music, and too many people. (And I feel I have a kind of trauma from that one time on the Ski-trip of our Ski Club. The Hotel we were staying at had a disco room, all with music and disco-ball. I was also allowed in there (I was really young. 7 or 8 at most), and there was that picture of a skeleton - I believe the Grim Reaper, or something else - and I ran like hell, because I was scared. Today I would not be scared, what with my favourite characters in Discworld being Death, Susan, Death of Rats, Binky, etc.)

But in Shanghai a friend of my parents, his colleague, my parents, and I went into a club. The "Black Dragon Club/Bar", which was all styled in black and orange. We first went into the bottom room. Later they asked us to go into the room on the first floor - because we were too old (except for me). I was quite happy about that.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 01-14-2005, 10:56 AM   #202
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Good lord, BoyToy, you have too much time on your hands... o_o

BTW, whilst your maths may be correct, your assumptions don't have to be. Maybe a guy over 146 IQ points will marry. You're right, the probability can't be higher than 100%, but you can always segment the function so it is correct [0,146[ ...? Sure, it means 146+ aren't defined, but another study can be made about that, no?

...just nitpicking.

Last edited by pinkgothic; 01-14-2005 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Merry nitpicking.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:25 AM   #203
Doctor Watson

I'm so bloody tired of people not getting my bad jokes. The last time this happened I decided to stop talking... I might try that again. Suicide would be another option, but I'm too selfish for that.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:26 AM   #204
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordmaster
Where might one find these people? Hypothetically speaking, of course.
I can give you names and other personal data about straight guys who will sleep with WOMEN and then pretend they don't exist. Sorry, no data on straight guys who will sleep with MEN and then pretend they don't exist . . .

BoyToy, I agree with pinkgothic. Somethin's wrong . . . I think what happened is that the writer described the study's conclusions so loosely that when we (um, you) converted it to math, it didn't work.

Writer

Also, can p(m) ever EQUAL zero, as long as you are still alive? An assumption worth investigating.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:34 AM   #205
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyConfused
Sorry, no data on straight guys who will sleep with MEN and then pretend they don't exist . . .
Spoiler:
Most of those straight guys are known as gay. I presume. Even to themselves.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:49 AM   #206
furryyellowthing

Send a message via Yahoo to BoyToy

Quote:
BoyToy, I agree with pinkgothic. Somethin's wrong . . .
. . . with me? Yeah, I know.

Quote:
I think what happened is that the writer described the study's conclusions so loosely that when we (um, you) converted it to math, it didn't work.
Yeah, absolutely.
Although it might not appear like that, I did the whole maths thing only for shits and giggles. Cause I haven't done any maths like that for years. Maybe I was a bit formula deprived... (Yet I tried to make it correct.)
Old 01-14-2005, 11:58 AM   #207
Doctor Watson

"Shits and giggles" is an amazing expression.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:53 PM   #208
furryyellowthing

Pinksie taught me that!

EDIT: Your avatar looks beautiful tonight!
Old 01-14-2005, 03:05 PM   #209
Doctor Watson

It's from the cover of my friend's old band (Blodøks) album "Kaputt".
Old 01-14-2005, 06:45 PM   #210
furryyellowthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222
It's from the cover of my friend's old band (Blodøks) album "Kaputt".
Oh, neat! Is "Kaputt" a word in Finnish too?
(It means 'out of order' in German.)
Psst!
Old 01-14-2005, 07:54 PM   #211
Doctor Watson

The guy's Norwegian. Kaputt isn't a Finnish word, but we do know what it means and sometimes use it jokingly: "It went kaputt."

Also, the same guy is a musician for our game The Curves of Danger. Brilliant stuff!
Old 01-14-2005, 07:57 PM   #212
Doctor Watson

Cool photos! Are they by you? If so, who is this? Or anybody else for that matter...
Old 01-15-2005, 05:20 AM   #213
furryyellowthing

Quote:
[...] sometimes use it jokingly: "It went kaputt."

Quote:
Also, the same guy is a musician for our game The Curves of Danger. Brilliant stuff!
Oh! *wondering whether that would be a sex-thriller or a race-car-hero-epos*

No... just looked at it! Very nice!!! 8-)
I like that it's black & white, that's great! Did I get it right, it's going to have a kind of film-noir/Raymond-Chandler feeling?

BTW: While I think the images look great, I think they appear a bit too clean and sharp-edged. They don't appear organic - you know what I mean?
Well, I know you didn't ask for my opinion...

Quote:
Cool photos! Are they by you? If so, who is this? Or anybody else for that matter...
Yeah! Those are all done by me - apart from the 'Flat Eric' and the 'Ernie and Bert' ones. And that one guy is me.
But if you go "Back to My Photos" from the photo album, you'll find another photo album, with better pictures of me... and Pinksie!
Old 01-15-2005, 05:57 AM   #214
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyToy
No... just looked at it! Very nice!!! 8-)
I like that it's black & white, that's great! Did I get it right, it's going to have a kind of film-noir/Raymond-Chandler feeling?
Thank you! Noir it is.

Quote:
Yeah! Those are all done by me - apart from the 'Flat Eric' and the 'Ernie and Bert' ones. And that one guy is me.

Quote:
But if you go "Back to My Photos" from the photo album, you'll find another photo album, with better pictures of me... and Pinksie!
She looks exactly like I imagined her.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:41 AM   #215
furryyellowthing

Quote:
She looks exactly like I imagined her.
^_^ *cuddles Neike*
Old 01-15-2005, 08:46 AM   #216
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Cool photos, esp. of neon and of Manhattan. But my gosh, you need to write larger. I'm the same age as you (I think) but I can barely read this small font!!
Old 01-15-2005, 09:17 AM   #217
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

I got imagined? Is that a good or a bad thing?
Old 01-15-2005, 09:24 AM   #218
furryyellowthing

Default Evolutionary Psychology / Civilizational Evolution

Quote:
The article I mentioned will be on the New York Times website 6 more days, but if you're interested in the topic, you might want to read the Amazon entry for [URL=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0679763996//ref=nosim/adventuregame-20 book[/URL], by Robert Wright. And I always get the name of the idea wrong--it's evolutionary psychology, not evolutionary biology--Darwin thought of that.
Thanks for the link!

Here's my revenge:

Having read that first long reader's review (by Dennis Littrell) of the book on Amazon, which I am basing my understanding of the subject on, I'd effectively agree to the central statement of 'evolutionary psychology'. It also explains the marriage-IQ mismatch the study pointed out, in my opinion.

However, I'd call the whole thing an effect of 'civilizational evolution', and - most importantly - I think this mismatch is prone to become balanced in the long run, due to an increasingly economical independence of women.

Quote:
Many things, but it basically all comes down to the idea that men have an evolutionary incentive to have many reproductive partners and women don't.
Well, the way I understood it, both have an evolutionary incentive for many reproductive partners. Only their techniques are differing. (?)
Old 01-15-2005, 09:53 AM   #219
furryyellowthing

Quote:
Cool photos, esp. of neon and of Manhattan. But my gosh, you need to write larger. I'm the same age as you (I think) but I can barely read this small font!!
a) That's why I am wearing glasses.
b) You weren't supposed to read it anyway!

No, of course, I'm fine with that, EC! *hugs*

c) Thanks, to the both of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
I got imagined? Is that a good or a bad thing?
Well, remember Wormsie's notoriously dirty mind... so it's got to be a good thing!
Old 01-15-2005, 11:18 AM   #220
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyToy
Having read that first long reader's review (by Dennis Littrell) of the book on Amazon, which I am basing my understanding of the subject on, I'd effectively agree to the central statement of 'evolutionary psychology'. It also explains the marriage-IQ mismatch the study pointed out, in my opinion.

However, I'd call the whole thing an effect of 'civilizational evolution', and - most importantly - I think this mismatch is prone to become balanced in the long run, due to an increasingly economical independence of women.
I'm not sure I understand, although I think the problem may be the language barrier. The two general positions on gender difference are that it's primarily based on biology or that it's primarily based on culture; your explanation here seems to mix the two.

Glad to know you are also going blind . . . I think.