You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Nearly 120,000 dead and still counting

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2004, 12:03 PM   #1
merely human

Default Nearly 120,000 dead and still counting

In Chennai, India, women mourned the loss of their children.

Most Powerful Quake in 40 Years Triggers Death and Destruction
The New York Times (free regristration required)

Quote:
BANGKOK, Dec. 26 - The most powerful earthquake in 40 years struck south Asia this morning, triggering tsunamis that smashed into villages, resorts and tourist isles, killing thousands and leaving hundreds missing. Sri Lanka and India were hit hardest as the tsunamis, some 30 feet high, washed away fishermen, tourists, cars and beachside stalls.

The earthquake, which generated tidal surges that could be felt as far away as Africa, hit at 6:58 a.m. local time about 100 miles off the northern Indonesian island of Sumatra. It measured 8.9 on the Richter scale, which made it the largest in the world since 1964 and the fifth largest since 1900, according to the National Earthquake Information Center at the United States Geological Survey.

Officials in Sri Lanka said that more than 3,500 people were killed and Indian officials said nearly 3,000 died, according to the Reuters news agency. Indonesian officials said that more than 2,500 died, while the death toll reached 310 in Thailand and 42 in Malaysia.
Please take a moment of silence for those who perished.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 12-26-2004, 12:32 PM   #2
Bearly Here

JUst read about this a little while ago. The magitude and scope of the destruction is horrifying. The wait is on for aftershock activity.

Prayers most definitely in order, supplies and resources following closely it seems. Relief efforts are already underway.

I read the current toll is 0ver 10,000 dead and expected to rise dramatically as areas regain their communications.
Old 12-26-2004, 12:40 PM   #3
merely human

Many who died were young children and the elderly. And this being in third world countries, other dangers such as infections and lack of fresh water ensue.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 12-26-2004, 01:03 PM   #4
Liver of Life

My grandmother lives in Chennai. But she's probably alright as she lives more inland. It is still a sad day when something like this happens. *sigh*
Old 12-26-2004, 01:09 PM   #5
merely human

Were you able to get in touch with her, Kode?
Old 12-26-2004, 03:43 PM   #6
Mostly absent

My brother-in-law's work mate was (possibly) in Phuket when the tsunami hit. He was going to leave with the plane the same day, but my brother-in-law wasn't sure exactly at what time. Hope he got out before and didn't face the same faith as those 11 300 (that's the number right now) who didn't make it...
Old 12-26-2004, 06:23 PM   #7
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsius
11 300 (that's the number right now) who didn't make it...
Oh my god.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:32 AM   #8

There are now over 20 000 confirmed deaths, and the number is expected to continue to rise. The tsunami also killed nearly 20 people as it reached the east coast of Africa.

People getting carried away by the waves in Sri Lanka

Edit: Wikipedia has good coverage of the disaster: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_In...ean_earthquake

Last edited by Kolorabi; 12-27-2004 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:51 AM   #9
Homer of Kittens

Sad moment indeed. Moment of silence to all these poor souls.

Firefox rules
Old 12-27-2004, 03:31 PM   #10
Iconoclast

This is truly terrible. Last I heard, the numbers surpassed 20,000 and are still climbing.

Sadly, by coincidence, I just got a phone call as I was typing this and found out my grandmother died yesterday. I'm being dead serious.

I've been sitting here for several minutes trying to think of something to say, but there are only tears.

I will miss her...
Old 12-27-2004, 06:57 PM   #11
merely human

(((((Bastich)))))

My sympathies to you and your family. I'm here if you need me, always remember that.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:36 PM   #12
Bearly Here

Oh No..

With all this terrible events and then to have such a loss. I know this must be so hard for you. Well, you got people who will listen right here. Families exist in all kinds of forms and places. And there's a lot of that always around here.

*hugs* going out to you.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:50 AM   #13
A Servicable Villain

Terrible... all those deaths, it's so hard to get your head around them, to really come to grips with such a colossal number...
Old 12-28-2004, 09:32 AM   #14
merely human

Reported Deaths in Asia Climb to 44,000
New York Times, 12/28/04

A Third of the Dead in Undersea Quake Are Said to Be Children
New York Times, 12/28/04
Old 12-28-2004, 09:36 AM   #15
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I'm really sad I was watching yesterday the clips of children hanging to their parents who were hanging to a pole for their lives. And the strong current swept them away.

Firefox rules
Old 12-28-2004, 10:37 AM   #16

This is the most depressing christmas I've ever experienced. News reports about the flood is on 24/7, and it just gets worse and worse. 600 people from my country are missing, including many children (Phuket in Thailand is one of the most popular tourist destinations here). The total number of casualties is allready at 56 000, and it's expected to continue to rise, maybe as far as to between 70 000 and 100 000.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:37 PM   #17
merely human

Red Tape Slowed Tsunami Warning from Reaching Asia
NPR audio file

Quote:
Morning Edition, December 28, 2004 · Technicians from the Tsunami Warning Center in Hawaii knew an earthquake struck under the Indian Ocean within minutes. But scientists could only issue a warning to the surrounding countries, because their jurisdiction only covers the Pacific. NPR's Christopher Joyce reports on why the news didn't travel fast enough to save lives.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:45 PM   #18

This is very sad news. I read in a local newspaper that a Sri Lankan here lost his entire family of 43 because of these awful tsunamis. My heart goes out to all those affected by this tragedy. We should all do what we can to help. A lot of embassies here have started accepting donations (things like food and clothes), and I certainly plan on making some donations as soon as I can.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:29 PM   #19
Curiouser and curiouser

First of all, Bastich, I'm so sorry about your grandmother.

I just read the Times' stories today and was horrified by this . . . so, so sad. Condolences to anyone who has a loved one involved. Strangely enough, my mother's former boss may have been in Phuket, and although they were on awful terms I wouldn't obviously want anything to happen to him . . . but at the same time, I find it less upsetting to think of someone near the end of a very full life passing away (he was late-70s/early 80s) than these thousands of children. A good friend's brother also lives in Sri Lanka but as I just talked to her boyfriend today (and stupidly forgot to even ask about it), and he didn't mention anything, I hope the brother is okay . . .
Old 12-28-2004, 04:46 PM   #20
Under pressure.

My heart goes out to all affected by this terrible disaster. --I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother, Bastich.

It's unbelievable how quick these things can happen. I read in the local paper that a Dutch couple lost their baby, and they survived. A few other Dutch tourists are still missing or found dead as well. I can't imagine how many people are being affected by this tragedy. It's unbelievable.

--Erwin