You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2004, 06:44 AM   #1

Default Backup software

I probably had some backup software with my win98. But moving to xp I lost a load of software in the changeover and 3 hurricanes with 1 home demolished.

I'm just now restoring and I have csi miami, nancy drew blackmoor manor, and L&O justice is served.

I haven't backed up a CD in ages so can't even remember what the name of the software I might have used is anymore..

I'd like to make backups of these before they get ruined. Ever stepped on a Win98 OS original disk ? I'd already backed it up when that happened. Fell to the floor and reaching for it, fell on it. Indestructible NOT!...

Yeah I know these are most likely copy protected. But IIRC the law allows you to make backups.

There was some black graphics semi free [12 days usage] software that came with the Liteon DVD drive. It wouldn't even install correctly. It expired on it's 1st run thru.

Is there a recommendation for software that will backup those 3 game programs ?
Old 12-19-2004, 07:40 AM   #2

Nero Burning Rom is good.

Looks like there's a trial version or something here:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cd...tions/nero.cfm
Old 12-19-2004, 07:47 AM   #3
Mostly absent

I also highly recommend Nero. It's the best choice out there.
Old 12-19-2004, 03:09 PM   #4

I'll try it, but it choked when I tried to copy one of my DVD's from amazon. So I'm guessing if the cd's have copyprotect, it'll choke on that also..

That's why I was hoping for something that's been known to copy those three programs.
Old 12-19-2004, 03:22 PM   #5
Under pressure.

You can't copy DVD's. Not only because they're protected; also because a DVD Rewritable/Recordable can only store 4 to 8 Gigabytes, and normal DVD's can hold up to 14 Gigabytes (or more, I'm not sure).

So if you want to copy a DVD, you'll have to use a ripping program such as DVD Shrink. (Which works very well in combination with Nero, by the way.) The program compresses the content on the DVD so it will fit on a DVD Rewritable/Recordable.

--Erwin
Old 12-19-2004, 06:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
You can't copy DVD's. Not only because they're protected; also because a DVD Rewritable/Recordable can only store 4 to 8 Gigabytes, and normal DVD's can hold up to 14 Gigabytes (or more, I'm not sure).

So if you want to copy a DVD, you'll have to use a ripping program such as DVD Shrink. (Which works very well in combination with Nero, by the way.) The program compresses the content on the DVD so it will fit on a DVD Rewritable/Recordable.

--Erwin
Ok so nero is for cd's and shrink is for dvd. I have shrink, and dvd decrypter. But I'm pretty sure these games are on cd.