You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Your Christmas Avatar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2004, 01:16 PM   #61
Resident AG Ninja

Send a message via ICQ to TigerShard Send a message via AIM to TigerShard

Hey, don't forget Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

"Intution tells me how to live my day. Intuition tells me when to walk away. Could have turned left, could have turned right, but I ended up here, bang, in the middle of a real life" - Natalie Imbruglia 'Intuition'
Old 12-05-2004, 01:18 PM   #62
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyConfused
OMG, is that TRUE???????? And do you remember those little Fisher-Price people with the round heads (?) that you have when you're a toddler? My aunt (who is a grandmother) says that now they have something like this that's almost the same but not quite, so you buy a barn and a house and a car and a plane and everything for the new people all over again.
I've seen these. I think they're bigger now than they used to be. Probably so they can't be swallowed and choked on...

Are there simply no new ideas anymore?
Old 12-05-2004, 01:28 PM   #63
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyConfused
OMG, is that TRUE???????? And do you remember those little Fisher-Price people with the round heads (?) that you have when you're a toddler? My aunt (who is a grandmother) says that now they have something like this that's almost the same but not quite, so you buy a barn and a house and a car and a plane and everything for the new people all over again.
I've seen these. I think they're bigger now than they used to be. Probably so they can't be swallowed and choked on...

Are there simply no new ideas anymore?

stepurhan the blatant plagiarist (Guess there really AREN'T any new ideas anymore)
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 12-05-2004, 01:49 PM   #64
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan
stepurhan the blatant plagiarist (Guess there really AREN'T any new ideas anymore)

Are you sure you're 33?
Old 12-05-2004, 02:04 PM   #65
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov

Are you sure you're 33?
33 going on 6. I blame television. I get up early on Saturdays to watch some cartoons and then switch over to this.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 12-05-2004, 03:00 PM   #66

Well here's mine, took it off a blackadder christmas carol cover and edited it some, with Atkinson there's not a facial expression that doesn't speak a thousand words
Old 12-05-2004, 03:38 PM   #67
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan
I find it a little creepy that you had Cabbage Patch Kids, My Little Pony and Care Bears on your Christmas list. What sort of depraved people do we have on this forum anyway?

Transformers were/are cool though.

No. Micronauts were teh g0d.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 12-05-2004, 03:47 PM   #68
Doctor Watson

I got a my Little Pony as a Christmas present when I was five years old (or something). I wondered... WHY? And who?

Oh god, I did a Google search on my Little Pony and upon seeing those images, I remembered the the perfumic smell of those pieces of shitty plastic. Euuughywwwaaaa! Oh, how it makes me feel ill...

That tiny blue-haired one was cute, though.

Wait... blue....

Last edited by deadworm222; 12-05-2004 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-05-2004, 04:12 PM   #69
merely human

yes, blue. You WHORE!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 12-05-2004, 04:36 PM   #70
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerShard
Hey, don't forget Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
That's a few years after the Cabbage Patch craze, although My Little Pony was still around. (I remember watching the My Little Pony Movie with my little sisters. That's one bit of nostalgia I can do without.) I have to say I'm a bit surprised, and a little disappointed that they're trotting out TMNT again so early. (10 years later instead of 20.)

Because I'd LOVE to buy all that shit again, but this time, I a) am too old to have Mommy and Daddy buy it for me, and b) don't yet have the economic stability to justify doing it myself. I would have given a KIDNEY AND A HALF for this new TMNT video game when I was 8. Instead I'm forced to sit on the sidelines watching all this kickass Ninja Turtles swag parading past me, and I can't buy it. Especially because the new figures are FAR cooler than the old ones were. I know, I still have a ton of old ones for comparison. Oh well, at least I can rest content in knowing that none of these new TMNT whippersnapper fans will ever own Rocksteady or Bebop. (Although they do have access to Leatherhead, a figure that I was never able to get before. GRRRRR....)

Then again, I'm a bit amazed that we're already having such a strong general-90's nostalgia already. (Look at VH1 for example.) For the love of god, they ended only four years ago!
Old 12-05-2004, 05:25 PM   #71
Doctor Watson

I hated Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. In Finnish the name is even funnier. "Teini-ikäiset Mutanttininjakilpikonnat".
Old 12-05-2004, 05:29 PM   #72
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222
I hated Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. In Finnish the name is even funnier. "Teini-ikäiset Mutanttininjakilpikonnat".
Don't make me send the mousers after you.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:23 PM   #73
Resident AG Ninja

Actually, this year is the 20th anniversary of the original TMNT. The series began as a comic book in 1984. The animated series started in 1987, and the new show started in 2003, so it has been 16 years since the cartoon originally started. TMNT stopped airing after 192 episodes and 10 seasons in 1997.

"Intution tells me how to live my day. Intuition tells me when to walk away. Could have turned left, could have turned right, but I ended up here, bang, in the middle of a real life" - Natalie Imbruglia 'Intuition'
Old 12-05-2004, 06:25 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222
The only person I could imagine saying that title out loud is definately a small japanese guy, it just sounds.. so.. ninja
Old 12-05-2004, 06:47 PM   #75
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Actually, this year is the 20th anniversary of the original TMNT. The series began as a comic book in 1984. The animated series started in 1987, and the new show started in 2003, so it has been 16 years since the cartoon originally started. TMNT stopped airing after 192 episodes and 10 seasons in 1997.
You're right, of course. Weird that the show had been around since I was two, but I didn't know about it until I was four. Funny how I remember the original, good episodes in the first and second seasons, but they'd already given way to the later half-hour toy commercials by the time I'd gotten into it.

But most people aren't going to look at 1984 as the beginning. I'd say for most people, TMNT began with the TV show. I know it did for me for several years. I was one of those kids who was disappointed that the movies didn't stick to the show. *Shame.* Now I know better, of course.

And although it's been 16 years since the show started, it's been only 7 since it ended. Not quite long enough for those like me, who were 12 at the time and definitely on the older end of the TV show's target audience, to grow up and start buying nostalgia. From a marketing perspective, it doesn't make quite as much sense.

Last edited by ConcreteRancor; 12-05-2004 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:59 PM   #76
Iconoclast

I'm jealous of all your toys. When I was a kid, if I didn't wake up on Christmas day with a hard-on, I had nothing to play with...
Old 12-05-2004, 07:22 PM   #77
Resident AG Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
You're right, of course. Weird that the show had been around since I was two, but I didn't know about it until I was four. Funny how I remember the original, good episodes in the first and second seasons, but they'd already given way to the later half-hour toy commercials by the time I'd gotten into it.

But most people aren't going to look at 1984 as the beginning. I'd say for most people, TMNT began with the TV show. I know it did for me for several years. I was one of those kids who was disappointed that the movies didn't stick to the show. *Shame.* Now I know better, of course.

And although it's been 16 years since the show started, it's been only 7 since it ended. Not quite long enough for those like me, who were 12 at the time and definitely on the older end of the TV show's target audience, to grow up and start buying nostalgia. From a marketing perspective, it doesn't make quite as much sense.

TMNT is not coming back to capitalize on nostolgia. The original creators of the show, Peter Laird and Kevin Eastman sold the rights to Fredwolf studios which did the original cartoon. The new cartoon is adapting the original comic books and is actualy being written/supervised by Peter Laird. There is much argument amongst the fandom about which show is actually better. Some TMNT fans hate the comics and only like the original show, while others hate the original show and only like the comics and new show, etc.

Sorry, I didn't mean to take over the thread. This is the last thing I will say about this. You can hit me with a if I ever start rambling about TMNT again

Old 12-05-2004, 07:45 PM   #78
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't mean to take over the thread. This is the last thing I will say about this. You can hit me with a if I ever start rambling about TMNT again
Me too, actually. I love 'em as well, and talk about them too much. I'll shut up now.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:55 PM   #79

Just to add one more thing about TMNT:

Normally the words "fan art" and "TMNT" don't get me hot, but a guy on an art board I visit posted some that are great. I couldn't pass up the chance to pimp them.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:08 PM   #80
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtw
Just to add one more thing about TMNT:

Normally the words "fan art" and "TMNT" don't get me hot, but a guy on an art board I visit posted some that are great. I couldn't pass up the chance to pimp them.
Takin' the Turtles to the streets, yo. Is that Howard Stern as Casey Jones?