You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2004, 02:32 AM   #1
Movie Buff & Gamer

Send a message via AIM to Sanjuro2
Default Wong Kar-Wai

Thought I'd start a thread on this guy since there seem to be some fans here. I'd also like to say that something occurred to me as I was watching 2046 for a second time. I think Wong Kar-Wai (along with Christopher Doyle, his cinematographer) may very well be the best director working today at capturing the female form. Heh. Thinking about several of his films (2046, In the Mood For Love, Chungking Express, Days of Being Wild, etc.) I'm reminded of this. At the age of 24, I must admit that given a choice between seeing a woman clothed or nude, I would have to choose nude. I mean...come on...wouldn't most guys? But Kar-Wai captures fully clothed women in such a way that my jaw hits the floor, and I realize that my own imagination is then doing the work. Women in a Kar-Wai film seem almost unattainable, with more curves than a difficult race track (minus the rednecks). You can tell that he adores them and, in a way, fears them...possibly their power over him.

Maggie Cheung in In the Mood For Love...wow. Those dresses she wore were amazing. And Zhang Ziyi (who I never found very attractive prior) knocked my socks off in 2046. She looked good enough to eat. And the woman in the "plane" sequence in Chungking Express. Hot damn. I haven't seen that film in two years, but I still remember that scene.

Anyway, LOL... Why don't you fans throw in your two cents about this and add some things that you've noticed in his style that appeals to you.
Töre: You see it, God, you see it. The innocent child's death and my revenge. You allowed it. I don't understand you. Yet now I beg your forgiveness. I know no other way to be reconciled with my own hands. I know no other way to live.

-Ingmar Bergman's The Virgin Spring (1960)

Last edited by Sanjuro2; 11-06-2004 at 02:40 AM.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:12 PM   #2
rare groove

Send a message via ICQ to Pappapisshu

Well, most of the women he uses in his movies look pretty good regardless - Maggie Cheung, Zhang Ziyi, Gong Li...

Anyway, yeah I agree with you. Besides picturing women, I think his whole style (which Chris Doyle probably contribute a lot to) is impressive and amazing. So far, every Wong Kar-Wai movie I've seen has blown me away. Chungking Express ('endlessly rewatchable') and In the Mood for Love is some of my favourite movies, and I really, really like Fallen Angels. That's probably why I've got so high expectations for 2046. Combining Wong Kar-Wai and Chris Doyle with Maggie Cheung, Tony Leung, Gong Li, Zhang Ziyi and Faye Wong is bound to be extremely good. What do you think about it? Which film by Wong Kar-Wai do you prefer? Everything in his movies appeal to me - the visual style, the theme, the acting... So, yeah, he's one of my favourite directors working today, or ever.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:23 PM   #3
Movie Buff & Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappapisshu
Well, most of the women he uses in his movies look pretty good regardless - Maggie Cheung, Zhang Ziyi, Gong Li...

Anyway, yeah I agree with you. Besides picturing women, I think his whole style (which Chris Doyle probably contribute a lot to) is impressive and amazing. So far, every Wong Kar-Wai movie I've seen has blown me away. Chungking Express ('endlessly rewatchable') and In the Mood for Love is some of my favourite movies, and I really, really like Fallen Angels. That's probably why I've got so high expectations for 2046. Combining Wong Kar-Wai and Chris Doyle with Maggie Cheung, Tony Leung, Gong Li, Zhang Ziyi and Faye Wong is bound to be extremely good. What do you think about it? Which film by Wong Kar-Wai do you prefer? Everything in his movies appeal to me - the visual style, the theme, the acting... So, yeah, he's one of my favourite directors working today, or ever.
I really enjoyed 2046. It will surely make my Top 10 for the year (every year I make a list, heh). I love the way it ties into In the Mood For Love, which is probably my favorite Kar-Wai film (though many are great). The themes and ideas in 2046 are effectively explored...it's basically the story of a man who can't really "love" anymore. The visual style that you say appeals to you, is again just as good as his past films. The acting is very nicely done. It's one of those films that requires at least two viewings to get the most out of it, but it's well worth the time. You won't be disappointed.
Töre: You see it, God, you see it. The innocent child's death and my revenge. You allowed it. I don't understand you. Yet now I beg your forgiveness. I know no other way to be reconciled with my own hands. I know no other way to live.

Old 11-07-2004, 05:31 PM   #4
Kosmonaut

Send a message via AIM to Phil25 Send a message via MSN to Phil25

I watched Chungking Express last Monday for my film class. I thought it was visually intoxicating. I don't believe I've heard of 2046, whatzit?
Old 11-07-2004, 08:38 PM   #5
Movie Buff & Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil25
I watched Chungking Express last Monday for my film class. I thought it was visually intoxicating. I don't believe I've heard of 2046, whatzit?
2046 is Wong Kar-Wai's latest film. It's linked to In the Mood For Love, one could call it a sequel I suppose. It's basically about a guy who retreats into fantasies (through writing) and short relationships that he puts an end to as soon as "love" comes up. And, of course, it's a lot more interesting than I have just made it sound. lol.

Old 11-08-2004, 04:06 AM   #6

I dunno about your initial post, Sanjuro... 2046 is incredibly beautiful, as all WKW's movies are, but to me, the women are part of this overall beauty, rather than standing out as individual beautiful figures.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:09 PM   #7
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

I've wanted to see some Wong Kar-wai, but haven't gotten around to searching for it. Are his movies easily found in the US? Could I go to a Blockbuster or local movie rental place and find some? Does he have a big following in the U.S.?
Old 11-08-2004, 02:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terabin
I've wanted to see some Wong Kar-wai, but haven't gotten around to searching for it. Are his movies easily found in the US? Could I go to a Blockbuster or local movie rental place and find some? Does he have a big following in the U.S.?
Other than maybe Chinking Express, you might have a hard time locating his movie at a local rental shop. Your best bet is some thing like Netflix. Here's the list of Wong Kar-Wai's movie that's avaialable from Netflix:

http://www.netflix.com/RoleDisplay?personid=20001855.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:06 PM   #9
Movie Buff & Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
I dunno about your initial post, Sanjuro... 2046 is incredibly beautiful, as all WKW's movies are, but to me, the women are part of this overall beauty, rather than standing out as individual beautiful figures.
Well, of course they are part of the overall beauty. But I mean, they aren't SCENERY. lol. They stand out in my view, simply as an admirer of women.