You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Your main browser -poll

View Poll Results: What is the main web browser you use?
Internet Explorer 17 37.78%
Mozilla 5 11.11%
Firefox 16 35.56%
Opera 6 13.33%
-Other- 1 2.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2004, 09:46 AM   #21
pain is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
Tabbed browsing. Once you get used to it, you don't want to go back.

And that's just one of many user-friendly features IE doesn't have.
Of course, you can always use shells for IE...

As far as I know both are of mozilla fame, but mozilla is complete (with outlook and stuff). Here:
http://forums.mozillanews.org/index....y;threadid=413

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 09-22-2004, 11:14 AM   #22
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Oh by the way, does anyone know the history of Mozilla vs. Firefox and the actual differences? Was Firefox an effort to 'start all over and do it better this time'? If so, why are there still two different products being actively developed?
As far as I remember, Mozilla reached 1.0 and the team decided that the reason why the thing hadn't been widely adopted was because it was bloated - who wanted an email client AND a chat client AND a browser AND an editor all combined into one big mass anyway, they asked. The idea of splitting Mozilla off into Firefox (the browser, then called Phoenix) and Thunderbird (the email side, which came a bit later) was to slim things down a bit. That's why Firefox and Thunderbird both have less functionality than Mozilla did by default - you're supposed to download extensions to add the features you want. The original Phoenix was VERY basic and not terribly good - luckily it's matured into a product that's better than Mozilla was.

As for why Mozilla is still being developed when Firefox was supposed to supercede it, I don't know! I think there was talk of finally stopping now that Firefox and Thunderbird have come of age, but I'll believe that when I see it... having Firefox and Thunderbird both installed, but independent of each other, seems like needless duplication, especially when they presumably share so much code.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:45 AM   #23
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
Someone give me the skinny here. I use IE, and never really had any problems whatsoever. Am I just lucky? What's the benefit of the other browsers, aside from anti-Microsoft chic?
If you like browsing with a non-standards-compliant browser that gives you load of popups, security holes and which gives you an inferior browsing experience, then that's up to you. I, however, go with other alternatives. Unfortunately there isn't a *really* good browser that sweeps all opposition, but Opera and Mozilla/Firefox is at least much less bad than IE.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 09-23-2004, 12:48 AM   #24
Knowledgeable

Quote:
Oh by the way, does anyone know the history of Mozilla vs. Firefox and the actual differences? Was Firefox an effort to 'start all over and do it better this time'? If so, why are there still two different products being actively developed?
Firefox is an attempt to rebuild the user interface for the browser part, so that it would be faster, more intuitive and generally a lot better. It still uses the same engine, gecko, to render pages. Similarily there are a project for redoing the mail part (Thunderbird). Eventually Firefox/Thunderbird will be shipped as the browser/mail of the main mozilla package.

Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 09-23-2004, 03:01 AM   #25
23 Railway Cuttings

I got sick of all the spyware/adware that kept appearing on my PC so about 6 months ago, I downloaded Firefox. I have always used the traditional combination of Adaware and Spybot to catch this type of malware and they seem to work really well. Ever since I installed Firefox, I still run my weekly checks with Adaware and Spybot and the only problems they find now are cookies (which don't pose any threat). I have not found a single piece of malware on my computer in the last 6 months - now find me an IE user who can honestly say that

Also as Marek rightly says, tabbed browsing is SO much easier. Once you start using it you HATE using IE. Unfortunately, I have to use IE to run WindowsUpdate as Firefox won't load the WU website - Firefox's fault ? Not a bit of it - the WU website is coded using non-compliant HTML (conspiracy theories anyone) so that Firefox (a totally HTML-compliant browser) can't run WU!!!

For more info on Firefox's features etc. click this link

For more info on IE click this link

Last edited by timcclayton; 09-23-2004 at 03:09 AM.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:15 AM   #26
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Tabs are practically essential but they have spoiled me. I now leave about 20 tabs open all the time and sometimes it borders on the absurd. It's very difficult for me to close my tabs because what if I need that one tab tomorrow and I can't find the URL elsewhere?

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 09-23-2004, 03:57 AM   #27
Doctor Watson

It's not uncommon for me to have 40 tabs open. No wonder my PC gets slow...
Old 09-23-2004, 11:40 AM   #28
Knowledgeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
Tabs are practically essential but they have spoiled me. I now leave about 20 tabs open all the time and sometimes it borders on the absurd. It's very difficult for me to close my tabs because what if I need that one tab tomorrow and I can't find the URL elsewhere?
I also tend to keep lots of tabs (among other things I open many AG threads at the same time), but a little question: Have you completely abandoned bookmarking in favor of tabs?

Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 09-23-2004, 02:57 PM   #29
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

I've actually never used bookmarks or favorites, so tabs haven't really had an effect in that respect.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 09-24-2004, 02:32 AM   #30
pain is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnar
Have you completely abandoned bookmarking in favor of tabs?
A bit too much... That's why they're practically useless now!

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 09-24-2004, 04:25 AM   #31
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcclayton
I have not found a single piece of malware on my computer in the last 6 months - now find me an IE user who can honestly say that
I know one, me! 8-)

I use favorites a lot. Too often it seems. I have a hard time finding the one I want when I have some 400-500 favorites.

I will probably start using Firefox when I get a new computer, this one is slow enough as it is.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:00 AM   #32
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

With Opera it's so damn easy to use bookmarks and tabs combined.
That's why I like using Opera so much, it's so versatile and light to use.

I also have Firefox on my computer but there's just something about it that I don't like.
Although the rss feed thing is done better in Firefox than Opera.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:30 AM   #33
23 Railway Cuttings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsius
I know one, me! 8-)
Then you must have a very good firewall in place...
Now imagine that IE is the yellow smilie and it is trying to bust through your firewall...

Smack it with the pan, man !!!!
Smash it's bloody face in !!!!
Hurt it !!!!
Kill, kill, kill !!!!

Now you see what using IE does to a totally normal, rational individual like myself...?

Get out before it's too late (and take your pan with you, just in case)
Old 09-24-2004, 06:51 AM   #34
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcclayton
Then you must have a very good firewall in place...
The Best. 8-)
Old 09-24-2004, 12:46 PM   #35

In the past (my previous job), I used opera, mozilla, phoenix and konqueror on linux, but I have to say I didn't like a single one of them... Probably because they were old versions (sys admin didn' t upgrade all the time). Mozilla took ages to start, phoenix and konqueror were quite crappy, Opera had problems with some sites, + I don't like the ad banners... Back then, I went with mozilla...
In windows, I used IE, and still do at home.

But on my laptop (winxp) for work (on which I'm typing right now) I installed firefox (don't know why, guess I wanted everything my own way, since it was a fresh windows install; e.g. I 've never used wmp 9 on this machine; if it wants to open something, I still get this license agreement popup).
I never use IE anymore, unless there are problems with some sites (rarely the case). Firefox looks good, is fast, has tabbed browsing, the download manager is better than in IE, and I especially like the fact that you can clear all information stored when browsing (cache, cookies, passwords, etc) with one click.
I'll definitely install it on my other pc's too, when I have some time.
Old 09-25-2004, 07:48 AM   #36
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I must be strange. I use Firefox, but I don't use tabs. But then, I'm strange enough to type in the domain name every time I visit a site...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 09-25-2004, 07:51 AM   #37
Master of Time and Space

Well, I use Opera and it's great. I would never even THINK about turning back to the godawful Internet Exploder.
What about Opera vs. Firefox ? Is Firefox better? I never tried it, but since I love Opera, I'm inclined not to bother.
Trust me, you IE users, just TRY Opera. You won't regret it.
Playing: Omikron: The Nomad Soul Next: Sanitarium Replaying: QFG IV: Shadows of Darkness, Grim Fandango, Syberia Waiting for: Max Payne 3, Deus Ex 3, American McGee's OZ, The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, Fahrenheit, Anachronox 2 (if they ever make it)
Old 09-25-2004, 08:03 AM   #38
fov
Rattenmonster

Jack, IE also sucks on platforms other than Windows (go figure).

I picked other because I use IE at home (PC) and Safari at work (Mac). The Mac version of IE is utter crap.

-emily
Old 09-25-2004, 03:55 PM   #39
rare groove

Send a message via ICQ to Pappapisshu

I don't get it. Why do you use IE at home even though you obviously know that it sucks no matter what?
Old 09-26-2004, 08:59 PM   #40
comfortably numb

Exclusively Firefox at home, IE at the office (because it's the only browser they have installed to our computers) and Mozilla at university.

And why Firefox?

Tabbed browsing

(Plus pop-up blocking, better security, speed and other things that favor Firefox.)