You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Latest Bushism...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2004, 08:51 AM   #1
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger
Default Latest Bushism...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC News
In his latest gaffe, President George W Bush has appeared to suggest that his administration is forever thinking up ways of harming the US and its people.

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful - and so are we," the US president told a high-level meeting of Pentagon officials.

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people - and neither do we."

His comments came during a signing ceremony for a $417bn defence bill.
Full Story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3541706.stm

Hehe
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 08-06-2004, 09:00 AM   #2
comfortably numb

This has been widely covered in at least Finnish media - I've heard about it from three different sources already. Somehow I'm not even surprised.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:37 AM   #3
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

http://smax.shackspace.com/bush_gaffe.mov
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:53 AM   #4
Mostly absent

Priceless.

EDIT: Speaking of Priceless.

Last edited by Mattsius; 08-06-2004 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:15 AM   #5
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

That is not even a Bushism, that is an all-out Freudian slip.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:13 PM   #6
merely human

If Freud were alive he'd kick Bush in the balls.

Twice.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-06-2004, 04:01 PM   #7
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Here's what I don't get about this. Usually when Bush says something stupid like this it's because he's giving an impromptu response. But if you look at the context of the speech, it looks like it was actually written that way. And none of Bush's speech writers and campaign managers caught it?

mag
Old 08-06-2004, 04:15 PM   #8
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
Here's what I don't get about this. Usually when Bush says something stupid like this it's because he's giving an impromptu response. But if you look at the context of the speech, it looks like it was actually written that way. And none of Bush's speech writers and campaign managers caught it?

mag
That's something I've always wondered about. Every important politician has a phalanx of speechwriters refining (or completely creating) their speeches. It really says a lot about Bush that he still says crap like this when I would assume that as President he's got the biggest speechwriting team of them all.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 08-06-2004, 07:32 PM   #9

While Bush is obviously the champ of misspeak, Kerry was in step with him yesterday during a Washington speech during which he said he could fight a 'more sensitive war on terror'. Perhaps another Freudian slip.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:38 PM   #10
merely human

A 'more sensitive war'?

WTF.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-06-2004, 08:05 PM   #11

Too bad no reporter had the guts to ask him how exactly he was going to harm the country.

Not that any reporter in this country has any guts anymore.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:54 AM   #12

Kerry obviously meant to say 'a more sensible war'.
Old 08-07-2004, 02:28 PM   #13
Mermaid Jane

The eternal idiot
Old 08-08-2004, 01:51 AM   #14
soffistical

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag

mag
Does anybody know what the speech was about? Or is everybody focusing on this sentence? Could be an interesting tool, using Bush's reputation for dyslexia, when delivering messages that might be controversial or embarrassing. Just a thought.
Old 08-08-2004, 07:13 AM   #15
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma
Does anybody know what the speech was about? Or is everybody focusing on this sentence? Could be an interesting tool, using Bush's reputation for dyslexia, when delivering messages that might be controversial or embarrassing. Just a thought.
Indeed. Or in a campaign where Bush is behind by a few points it may be useful to remind people he's just "a normal guy". Of course if I were Kerry i'd say it shows hes just "an incompetent guy"
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 08-08-2004, 11:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma
The speech was about the war on terror. What was meant to be said was something like Al-Quada never stops thinking up ways to harm our country and we never stop thinking up ways to stop them from achieving that end.

Good point you make ... that one can use the indisputable history of misspeaking as a defense against impolitic speech being intentional, after the fact. It is hard to imagine that this is a designed contrivance however, since that would require both a nuance of language planning and a precisenesss of language implementation, neither of which are Bush strenghts.