You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Daily Show interview with Wolf Blitzer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2004, 04:46 AM   #1
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Default Daily Show interview with Wolf Blitzer

I know there's a few Daily Show fans out there. Have you seen the interview with Wolf Blitzer? This interview is great. Tough questions are in fact asked and Wolf Blitzer is clearly in a tight spot through most of the interview. However, it's still very funny and in good spirit.

http://www.comedycentral.com/tv_shows/thedailyshowwithjonstewart/videos_celeb.jhtml

Some of the recent Daily Show has been a bit "", especially with the addition of Ed "I'm not funny" Helms and Jon's really annoying "I'll adjust my tie" move, but it's stuff like this that I like a lot.
Old 07-25-2004, 06:09 AM   #2
Joop Sloop

Not being from america makes me not an 'expert' on these matters, but is the daily show the only tv-show that comments on the political matters that are at hand now in a more or less unbiased way?
Old 07-25-2004, 06:32 AM   #3
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Well, I'd say the Daily Show is pretty damn biased.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:45 AM   #4
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbreker
Not being from america makes me not an 'expert' on these matters, but is the daily show the only tv-show that comments on the political matters that are at hand now in a more or less unbiased way?
It's the only one which you can't argue as being liberal or conservative, yes. It tends to bash the status quo in general, whether it's Republican or Democrat.

It also has a very low tolerance for bullshit, which is refreshing, and gives the show a good reputation in the news. That's why appearing on the Daily Show has started to be seen as a good campaign move for presidential candidates.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:34 AM   #5
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
It's the only one which you can't argue as being liberal or conservative, yes.
You're kidding, right? The Daily Show is very liberal. Of course, I don't have much of a problem with that since most of the rest of American media is conservative.

And if you thought Stewart's interview with Blitzer was tough, you should see his interview with Stephen Hayes of The Weekly Standard. He tore that guy apart. I was surprised because I usually find Stewart to be rather weak as an interviewer. But he's really been doing good recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
Some of the recent Daily Show has been a bit "", especially with the addition of Ed "I'm not funny" Helms and Jon's really annoying "I'll adjust my tie" move, but it's stuff like this that I like a lot.
Helms is alright. He's certainly no Stephen Colbert, but he's good enough. I especially liked his analysis of this year's campaign ads.

mag
Old 07-26-2004, 09:46 AM   #6
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

Too bad I live in Texas and will not see any of the campaign ads...
Old 07-26-2004, 10:03 AM   #7
Puts the 'e' in Mark

I sadly haven't seen the Stephen Hayes interview. I rely on the Comedy Central website and occasional showings on CNN International for my Daily Show fix, so I guess I only get to see half of the material.

The Daily Show is very liberal, though they aren't unreasonable on any level. They have often ridiculed or criticized people or institutions from their end of the political spectrum. Whoever has it coming ... (usually Bush & Co )
Old 07-26-2004, 10:27 AM   #8
Banned User

I was quite upset when Cartoon Network switched its schedule and started running its Futurama reruns opposite The Daily Show. Along with Jeopardy!, they are the shows I try to watch on a daily basis. I even posted a comically scathing commentary about it on the Adult Swim bulletin board. Thankfully, they switched it back after a few weeks and I can once again enjoy both shows every night.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:26 PM   #9
mag

Quote:
I sadly haven't seen the Stephen Hayes interview. I rely on the Comedy Central website and occasional showings on CNN International for my Daily Show fix, so I guess I only get to see half of the material.
On Lisa Rein's Radar also has a lot of Daily Show clips. Unfortunately, I think you have to download them instead of streaming them. Anyway, they have the Hayes interview available for download in two parts.

The Daily Show Experience also used to have a lot of clips, but all I see there now is the message boards. They do have a clip request forum, though.

Quote:
The Daily Show is very liberal, though they aren't unreasonable on any level. They have often ridiculed or criticized people or institutions from their end of the political spectrum. Whoever has it coming ...
Yeah, I don't think they're way over the edge with their liberalism. But it's definitely a show that favors the left. And they do make fun of people on the left too. After all, they don't want to be too blatant about it. It's the same way that FOX News disguises its rhetoric as a news channel. Not that The Daily Show is as biased as FOX, but it's the same basic idea.

Despite their liberal bias, though, it really is a good source of news. I know Jon Stewart likes to play it down as "fake" news, but they do cover a lot of stories you won't see and ask a lot of questions you won't hear in the mainstream media. I've heard many people (including well respected professionals) say that it's a better source of news than some of the serious news networks. In fact, The Daily Show recently won the 20th annual Television Critics Association award for outstanding news and information programming.

mag
Old 07-26-2004, 01:01 PM   #10
Puts the 'e' in Mark

I don't think The Daily Show Experience has been updated for over half a year, but I'll check out the other address. Thanks!

I think you're quite right about The Daily Show actually doing a rather good job with the news and I'm not surprised that professionals are saying that. Underneath all the parody and jokes and Photoshop fun is actually a pretty good distillation of the news. They're clever about juxtaposing different bits of information and calling up stuff from the past and comparing it with current events. I like it a lot. You get the sense that if they weren't doing a comedy show, they would actually be capable of some fairly respectable journalism.

I didn't know they won that award. How ironic.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:23 PM   #11
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Just saw the Hayes interview and I'm impressed once again. The issue is being discussed in no uncertain terms, but it stays in good spirit all the way through. Very, very good.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:30 PM   #12
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacardiJim
I was quite upset when Cartoon Network switched its schedule and started running its Futurama reruns opposite The Daily Show. Along with Jeopardy!, they are the shows I try to watch on a daily basis. I even posted a comically scathing commentary about it on the Adult Swim bulletin board. Thankfully, they switched it back after a few weeks and I can once again enjoy both shows every night.
You could always pick up Futurama on DVD, too. The final season comes out towards the end of August here in Region 1. That way you can actually hear it uncensored when the professor says "Sweet zombie jesus!"

(For those who don't know, Cartoon Network censors "jesus" but not anything else)

Also, for Daily Show fans in search of clips, I highly recommend:
http://www.comedycentral.com/timewas....jhtml?show=ds

More clips than you can shake a sizeable stick at. It's usually updated every few days with the more recent clips.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:33 AM   #13
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
You could always pick up Futurama on DVD, too. The final season comes out towards the end of August here in Region 1. That way you can actually hear it uncensored when the professor says "Sweet zombie jesus!"

(For those who don't know, Cartoon Network censors "jesus" but not anything else)
The censoring has gone way too far in the US. Good thing I don't live there. If I would I would probably go crazy sooner or later due to overcensoring.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:05 AM   #14
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
You're kidding, right? The Daily Show is very liberal. Of course, I don't have much of a problem with that since most of the rest of American media is conservative.
As I said, The Daily Show bashes the status quo, whether it's left or right. When Clinton was president, they definitely let him have it good. Anyone remember the updates on the "Perversion Diversion" after Clinton led NATO in bombing Yugoslavia? Right now, the Republican party is in power, so the Daily Show seems a bit more liberal. If Kerry wins the election in November, I bet we'll see the Daily Show swing back towards the right. When you average it out, the show is pretty moderate.

I think that's intentional for more reasons than just criticizing the status quo, though. Whether conservative or liberal, mainstream news networks will tend to politically angle their broadcasts a bit more in favor of the current government, (which is why FOX's conservatives are raging unchecked right now,) so the Daily Show tries to always provide the counterpoint to that.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:35 AM   #15
mag

Quote:
As I said, The Daily Show bashes the status quo, whether it's left or right. When Clinton was president, they definitely let him have it good. Anyone remember the updates on the "Perversion Diversion" after Clinton led NATO in bombing Yugoslavia? Right now, the Republican party is in power, so the Daily Show seems a bit more liberal. If Kerry wins the election in November, I bet we'll see the Daily Show swing back towards the right. When you average it out, the show is pretty moderate.
But that's my point. The Daily Show has always been liberal. Of course the party in power is going to be made fun of the most. So right now the liberal bias of The Daily Show is more obvious. But they were noticably liberal back when Clinton was in office too. Sure, they made fun of him. But that didn't mean they weren't on his side.

mag
Old 07-27-2004, 11:00 AM   #16
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

Quote:
Right now, the Republican party is in power, so the Daily Show seems a bit more liberal. If Kerry wins the election in November, I bet we'll see the Daily Show swing back towards the right. When you average it out, the show is pretty moderate.
Nah. I venture to guess it will move ever so slightly to the left of Kerry. By all standards Kerry is pretty centrist and the Daily Show cannot possibly position itself on the right of the center.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:39 PM   #17
mag

Of course, The Daily Show does provide a good liberal counterbalance to Tough Crowd, which is like watching a Klan meeting.

mag
Old 07-28-2004, 06:03 AM   #18
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
Of course, The Daily Show does provide a good liberal counterbalance to Tough Crowd, which is like watching a Klan meeting.
Patrice might want to watch out, then.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:53 AM   #19
mag

Quote:
Patrice might want to watch out, then.
Patrice is just as racist and annoying. He just goes the other way with it.

mag