You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2003, 12:07 PM   #1

Default Propaghandi

I'm not entirely sure I like their music - I've not heard enough of it to decide - but they have a most interesting website... particularly the frontpage:
Quote:
If I were the president, I could stop terrorist attacks against the United States in a few days. Permanently. I would first apologize to all the widows and orphans, the tortured and impoverished, and all the many millions of other victims of American imperialism. Then I would announce, in all sincerity, to every corner of the world, that America's global interventions have come to an end, and inform Israel that it is no longer the 51st state of the USA but now -- oddly enough -- a foreign country. I would then reduce the military budget by at least 90% and use the savings to pay reparations to the victims. There would be more than enough money. One year's military budget of 330 billion dollars is equal to more than $18,000 an hour for every hour since Jesus Christ was born. That's what I'd do on my first three days in the White House. On the fourth day, I'd be assassinated."

-William Blum
Sad but true, I think...

Last edited by Ninja Dodo; 10-06-2003 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:30 PM   #2
Liver of Life

I don't think anything except the numbers at the end are interesting about that front page. I doubt William Blum could do what he claims he can by doing what he said he'd do. In other words, I don't think anybody could stop terrorist attacks against the USA in "a few days."

I hate to sound pessimistic, because that's not what I am, but It won't take apologies and words, it'll take actions to accomplish something of that magnitude.

But they have a very interestingly crafted name - Propagandhi.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:22 AM   #3

I think the text is probably exaggerating, but it it hits the nail on the head with what to do...

Action, i.e. "The War on Terror", is only going to make things worse. The problem is not that there are people out there that hate the US. It's that the US has an attitude that inspires hate in so many people. If they get rid of the attitude they get rid of the hate.

The US and particularly George Bush are always on about democracy, freedom and human rights... while the US actually does rather badly in all three.

Bush himself once said, when asked about a site that was parodying him, "Yeah, there oughta be limits to freedom.". The Patriot Act allows police to randomly and without pressing charges arrest and detain foreigners and with some proposed amendments to it it would even become possible to secretly arrest people. And I once read about a standup comedian that got reported as an Al-Qaeda supporter because she made a joke about Bush. Is it just me or is the US turning into Stalin's Russia?

Human rights are all very nice and useful when you're orating about how evil Saddam Hussein is but when asked about what the US is doing to prisoners in Guantanamo Bay, it's okay because it's not on American soil. And no Americans can never be tried in an international court, because that's just not fair to Americans. 'Sue Milosovic, fine, but we are untouchable...'

And the list goes on and on and on...
Old 10-07-2003, 08:56 AM   #4
Umbilicus Mundi

I'm somewhat scared (in a healthy amount).

Today it seems terrorism is an excuse to take any action. And you don't have to *prove* that something has got to do with terrorism to take action. You simply need to make the accusation (and have certain amount of power).
I'm not certain Russia won't decide some day that Estonia supports terrorism and make a "preemptive strike" here.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:14 AM   #5
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Bush is an idiot and I don't support his policies, but to think that any amount of apology or financial compensation could stop terrorism is utterly absurd. These problems are much deeper rooted than that. Not to mention, to actually expect or even hope for any presidential administration to do any of those things is just a waste of time.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright