You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Let's start a flame war: Does this world exst?

View Poll Results: Does this world exist?
Of course it exists! 16 44.44%
Nah, it doesn't exist. 1 2.78%
It's impossible to know. 13 36.11%
*Other* 6 16.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2004, 11:11 AM   #41
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
Now you suddenly accept other universes are adjacent instead of parallel? Wouldn't that mean that our universe will at some point collide with another universe?
Depends on the pattern of universal expansion that our universe follows. If it follows either the "Big Crunch" theory or the theory that eventually our universe will stop expanding, no, this doesn't necessarily mean that our universe will collide with another. It's true though, that our universe's expansion is ACCELERATING, which right now scientists explain by the existence of "dark energy." It's an interesting speculation, and the theories that I'm drawing from here have described the collision of two "adjacent" universes as being like bubbles in a bathtub hitting each other. They don't move into each other, but get squashed.

Quote:
The whole notion of "finding" another universe is bullshit (light does not even escape our -expanding- universe).
Obviously, we won't "find" another universe unless we find some way of creating faster-than-light travel. If light cannot escape our universe, then we would need something faster. Fat chance, right? So we likely will NOT ever see another universe.

Quote:
Most likely each universe carries its own set of physics, as any slight elemental difference in the first particle boom would result in a major difference in how that universe develops. Light could never escape or travel between universes. It's more likely that other universes are fundamentally so different from ours, that we would in any case never be able to exist there.
Right. The random motion of atoms in any one universe determines the physics for that universe. Our physics might exist simply because atoms happen to move that way. (Motion affects physics, other than vice versa.)

Quote:
So by your logic, 50 percent of our universe contains/is atoms? Then you have no idea how empty our universe is. In fact, it is believed that actual matter only makes up for a small amount of the weight of the universe.
I know that matter makes up a very small amount of the weight of the universe. If you flipped a coin 4000 times, would it come out EXACTLY to 2000 heads and 2000 tails? Actually, you don't have to use 50-50. You could use 30-70 or something and get the same result, because in a multiverse of infinite universes, even if the percentage of an atom appearing in one spot is 99.9999999999%, you're still going to get a universe that's almost completely empty. (I say almost because if it was completely empty it wouldn't be a universe.)

Quote:
I'll admit there are equal chances of finding these universes, because, again, the whole notion of finding another universe is bullshit. Just accept that they're out of our reach, forever, no matter how fast we can travel.
I say "find" mainly because they could exist, not that we can necessarily go there ourselves. As I said, the theory states that adjacent universes would press up against each other like bubbles, perhaps because of dark energy, dark matter, or simply gravitational pull. Maybe it's like trying to push the positive ends of two magnets together. If other universes can't go against these forces, we certainly can't. That doesn't mean that they don't occupy the same spacial plane.

Quote:
From Einstein to Plato, doesn't really matter what you put in your cocktail, eh?
What's wrong with drawing on the ideas of those before us? I should note that I'm not simply pulling these ideas out of my ass. These are accepted theories that have been created in the scientific community. By accepted I mean that they're theories that have been discussed seriously, and not rejected outright as sheer lunacy. The entire subject of other universes, whether adjacent, parallel, or what have you is purely speculative anyway, so there are a LOT of different theories. This is one that I happen to like.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:12 AM   #42
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222
Spoiler:
Unfunny fact: I wrote "I was awake for a week" first.
Well, that WOULD explain the misspelling.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:09 AM   #43
Doctor Watson

As I have said before, I'll wait for the background noise map. So until 2007!

As far as I remember it has been confirmed that the universe will keep on expanding, and there will be no big crunch. The end result is a very very empty place.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:38 AM   #44
Sky is not the limit

Send a message via ICQ to Zanthia Send a message via Yahoo to Zanthia

Yes, but sun will expand much befor that daTE
Old 06-29-2004, 04:30 PM   #45

Quote:
As I have said before, I'll wait for the background noise map. So until 2007!

As far as I remember it has been confirmed that the universe will keep on expanding, and there will be no big crunch. The end result is a very very empty place.
That's going to be awesome, seriously. We'll have a frickin map of our fricking universe and we'll know where every frickin bit of frickin dark matter and whathaveyounot is! Weird I haven't seen it on tv yet, it's going to expand our horizon _____________________________________________ this much!
Old 06-29-2004, 10:57 PM   #46
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Weird I haven't seen it on tv yet, it's going to expand our horizon _____________________________________________ this much!
TV? TV!? Do you think I have no idea of what I'm talking about? *goes off searching for a link*
Old 06-30-2004, 12:45 PM   #47
Sky is not the limit

Even if you know everything that is possible about the world, its not a prove that it exists.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:43 PM   #48
Doctor Watson

Voilá. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a5/WMAP.jpg
Old 12-05-2004, 01:48 PM   #49
Mostly absent

Quote:
You should have a competition with Moos.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:57 PM   #50
Doctor Watson

About what?
Old 12-06-2004, 04:20 AM   #51
DAVE

Everyone's connected to a computer in an abandoned nuclear wasteland world. The computer has a battery for as long as the universe lasts, as the dominant race abandoned the planet.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:45 AM   #52
Sky is not the limit

World does not exist, but this rhread sure does
Old 12-06-2004, 11:53 AM   #53
Mostly absent

Quote:
About what?
About who's the faster poster.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:21 PM   #54
Doctor Watson

rioftlfotlfolrofltolfor!
Old 12-08-2004, 04:32 AM   #55
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Other: The worlds are made up of cheese doodles.

Or was it Hiffemark (a kind of marmalade)?

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 12-08-2004, 08:31 AM   #56
long live the dragons

Send a message via MSN to pointandcliklover

i would ike to say 1 thing

What world

Marise-Chiko