You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2004, 11:33 AM   #1
Part time writer for hire

Send a message via AIM to redhotray Send a message via MSN to redhotray Send a message via Yahoo to redhotray
Default Wimbledon

So yeah, does anybody follow this tournament, and did they manage to catch any of the action today?

Navratilova went through to the next round, soundly defeating her opposition. As did Hewitt, Federer and Ivonivich (sp?).

Tim Henman plays tomorrow (our great British hopeful!! HEHE), should be interesting to see how well he fares this year.

I'm dead gutted Andre Agassi is out of the tournament through injury. That could have been his last shot at claiming Wimbledon again.

Anyone have any thoughts they'd like to share? Or do you guys not really care about Tennis?

My (not so well designed) bowling website, complete with pictures from our golden pin victory!

C'MON!!!!!!
Old 06-21-2004, 12:07 PM   #2

To be honest, here in Belgium we don't care that much about this edition of Wimbledon... Both Henin and Clijsters don't take part, so the men have to do it. While they're quite good (Xavier Malisse a.k.a. X-man reached the semi-finals once and he won the men's doubles in Roland Garros with the youngest Rochus brother) they're definitely not as popular as Henin or Clijsters. In the past everybody went nuts when a Belgian tennis player (of the previous generation) reached the 4th round of a grand slam, but nowadays people think it's +/-normal if Clijsters and Henin reach the finals.
The first time was different; I remember last year's final in Paris, the whole country went nuts, the press encouraged this of course. The fun part is that Clijsters is from the northern, dutch-speaking part of our country (so am I), while Henin is from the south (french-speaking). I was so annoyed with all the fuss about Clijsters here, that I really hoped Henin would win. Luckily she did, she plays the most beatiful tennis.

Anyway, we Belgians will probably skip this Wimbledon, unless we have someone who reaches the quarter finals; it was the same in Paris; nobody cared about the men's doubles until they were in the semi-finals.
Malisse has the greatest chance, he's our best player, but in the past he lacked a bit of mental strength. Now he does better, but I heard he has some problem with his back...

If there are no Belgians left, I'll start watching from the semi-finals...