You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2004, 03:12 AM   #1
Headbanger

Default Troy

I saw this movie yesterday and it's a great adaption of the Iliad. I really recommend everyone to go see it.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:29 AM   #2

Really? The gist of reviews seems to be that it delivers in spectacle but falls short in character development... and the fact that the gods have been written out of the story entirely doesn't really help adaptation-wise.

Still going to see it though...
Old 05-17-2004, 03:43 AM   #3
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo
Really? The gist of reviews seems to be that it delivers in spectacle but falls short in character development... and the fact that the gods have been written out of the story entirely doesn't really help adaptation-wise.

Still going to see it though...
The gods are always there and many characters in the story are basing their decision on what they think are the gods will (and the fact that others doesn't are one of the movies themes). But you don't get to see them or anything like that (because then it is a big chance of making the movie look ridiculous).

Not many of the characters develop through out the movie and the little you get see of that could have been done much better, but all the characters in the movie are still potraited really well (I was actually suprised about that). It works much better here then in Gladiator (which really failed at presenting the characters IMO.)
Old 05-17-2004, 04:47 AM   #4

I can see how involving the gods more directly could potentiallly have been very cheesy but I don't think it would've been impossible to do tastefully.

Oh well, I liked Gladiator anyway, so I'll probably like this.

btw Anyone else ever see that mini-series based on The Odyssee, with Armand Assante? That was great and they did a pretty good job of involving the gods there convincingly.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:29 AM   #5
Liver of Life

Ebert didn't like it. This movie can't be good.

I've yet to see it, though. I look forward to it.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:49 AM   #6
Joop Sloop

There was no acting (except for eric bana playing hektor) in this movie.
The dialogues (if you can call it that) were big fat pompous lines no in his right mind would have ever said.

The only good thing about he movie was the quality of computer generated images. The thousands of soldiers and boats seen in the movie. Oh and the fighting sequences were good aswell.

It is basically a lord of the rings rehash done in acient greece style...
Old 05-17-2004, 07:53 AM   #7
pain is love

It really ain't a bad movie, but it surely ain't great either. It still kinda looks like a greek tragedy, but it's quite loosely based on the book. I agree that Bana is great, but others are also pretty good. But Pitt is the one who ruined it for me. He really ain't much of an actor.
In my opinion, people who were working on Troy wanted to make it look more like a movie of ancient Rome, than a greek tragedy. There is no Gods-people interaction, and they tried to make it more like a historical movie. Which is akward, because Iliada isn't actually recognized as a historical text, more like a novel, not based on actual facts.

To sum up, I don't think anyone will regret having seen it, but it surely won't be the one you'll remember after a while.

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 05-17-2004, 02:44 PM   #8
Liver of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbreker
The dialogues (if you can call it that) were big fat pompous lines no in his right mind would have ever said.
I think one of the points is that ancient greek heroes aren't in what you would call "their right minds."

They're larger than life, they're proud, they're heroes.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:45 PM   #9
merely human

How short is Brad Pitt's skirt?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-17-2004, 03:08 PM   #10

He goes naked in the film at one point apparently...

I find it really annoying how every single interview seems to focus on this instead of the actual film and how it relates to the original story.

* hands Trep a bucket before he starts drooling *
Old 05-17-2004, 03:10 PM   #11
merely human

Thank you.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-18-2004, 03:42 AM   #12
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbreker

The only good thing about he movie was the quality of computer generated images. The thousands of soldiers and boats seen in the movie. Oh and the fighting sequences were good aswell.

It is basically a lord of the rings rehash done in acient greece style...
This movie is mostly based on a story written about 2800 years ago. Do you really expect people to talk like you and me? I didn't find anything wrong with the acting at all. The movie could have shown more about the misery the war caused the main characters but that is the movies only flaw as far as I can see.

What connections you see between the Illiad and Lord of the rings is beyond me. Although Tolkien was inspired by almost all mythology so he had probably read the Illiad more then once. But he took the main influence from celtic and german/nordic stories.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:33 PM   #13
merely human

Yes, thank you but, how short is Brad Pitt's skirt?
Old 05-19-2004, 09:52 AM   #14
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Yes, thank you but, how short is Brad Pitt's skirt?
You get to see his firm and well tanned butt more then once.