You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Concept Art Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2010, 10:46 PM   #1

Default Concept Art Thread

I'm always looking for great game artwork to browse through in my less inspired moments.

The links go to the artists' blog posts that also provide links for wallpaper-sized downloads of the images, where available.

Cityscapes
by Alex Chin Yu Chu

Pics 2-3 were concepts for a cancelled Crystal Dynamics project called Downfall.
More at: Visual Garble (Alex Chu's Blog) | Artist's Portfolio

God of War III character concepts
by Andy Park

The quasi-lion and -panther look so lively and malicious, they practically spring out from the screen.
Artist's blog | Andy Park on conceptartworld.com

Sven Sauer:
Perry Rhodan

The second image (titled "Titan Museum") always reminds me a bit of Sartorius's tower in Zork Nemesis. No ice in this environment, though.

Sven Sauer gallery - itsartmag.com
Old 12-31-2010, 02:50 AM   #2

Hard to come by concept art/fan art for
Shadow of the Colossus

Probably because the game itself looks more lyrical than the drawings?

Cover art from the Death Metal band Shadow of the Colossus, and custom box art by grant from vgboxart.
Strongly inspired by the Criterion Eclipse... er, the Essence Collection Series.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:37 PM   #3

Uru concepts
by Stephan Martinière

Concept paintings for the ages of Kadish Tolesa and Ahnonay (Path of the Shell) that stuck in my mind, but (until now) I couldn't find a high-res source for. More concepts on the artists' website.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:23 AM   #4

Update May 18, 2011: The amazing landscapes of Agnes Staudt.

Click the image for a higher resolution view.

Above the clouds

Glide

Ocean

Artist's blog | Artist's gallery on Deviantart
Old 05-18-2011, 11:01 AM   #5

Sergey Musin, Finding Unknown Kadath

This image is plastered over every wallpaper site in the internet. Turns out it is a "personal" project by Russian artist Sergey Musin, who writes: ...this idea was infused by novel H.P. Lovecraft "The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath" which one of my favourite. This story about the man who moved to Kadath City in the dream.

Since I have no idea of this story, my first thought association wouldn't be Lovecraft, but rather a super-Potala the Dalai Lama could be proud of with a finely tuned atmosphere between romance and foreboding.

There's a widescreen version available on the artist's website (above, the edges have been cut off) and various wallpaper sizes here.

Another great landscape artist - perhaps a bit spookier - is Christer Wilbert ( gallery), whom I also found on cgsociety.org.

Christer Wilbert: Plane of Gathering

Christer Wilbert: We found the gate to hell

Great imaginative landscape art also comes from Dylan Cole ( homepage), who did The Chronicles of Riddick, Tron and Avatar (unfortunately, without posting high res samples of his work) and Yanick Dusseault ( homepage | Star Wars matte paintings), who seems to have been involved in every major SFX project since the early 90's, including the Star Wars prequels and Lord of the Rings.

Dylan Cole, The Chronicles of Riddick

Yanick Dusseault: Star Wars Episode 3

Yanick Dusseault, Personal art

Last edited by Hoipolloi; 05-18-2011 at 11:06 AM.