You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat SpamSpamSpam! (& other national food obsessions)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2004, 11:20 AM   #1
merely human

Default SpamSpamSpam! (& other national food obsessions)

Spam Heaven

Quote:
Filipinos, who eat 2.75 million pounds of Spam each year, have helped make Spam Jam one of Manila's most popular restaurants. The menu includes Spam burgers, Spam nuggets, Spam Spaghetti, Caesar salad with Spam and, of course, Spam and Eggs.
National Public Radio, 3/19/04

Egads! I'm Filipino myself, but I rarely ever eat Spam. Actually, my whole immediate family doesn't really eat it much, either. I guess you'd really have to be there in Manila. Spam nuggets? Eiw . So, what idiosyncratic food brand do you guys in your respective countries 'spam' on? What do you consume 2.75 million pounds of annually (or roundabouts)?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-20-2004, 11:54 AM   #2
Joop Sloop

We don't have an actual liquorice restaurant yet, but we sure do eat a lot of the stuff here

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.hollandsedrop.com
Crazy for Drop: Licorice candy is a national obsession in the Netherlands
It is found from row houses in Amsterdam to cottages in the Dutch countryside. Sometimes it's tucked away in cupboards, though often it's kept in plain sight on the coffee table. It is sold everywhere from pharmacies to corner stores and shipped by mail everywhere else. Most Dutch like to sneak a little after dinner, and when they travel outside the country, they're always sure to bring enough to last the entire trip.
Drop, the Dutch licorice candy, is the Netherlands' national addiction. Coming in more than 100 different shapes, tastes and textures, and made by at least 10 different companies, it is the one thing Dutch expatriates seem to miss most from their homeland. In Holland, Drop (rhymes with rope) is eaten by about 80 percent of the country's 16 million residents, who consume about 31 million kilograms, or 68 million pounds, every year. Drop does not at all resemble or taste like American red or black licorice and the repertoire of unusual flavors, such as honey, menthol and even salt, make Dutch Drop a somewhat acquired taste.
Old 03-20-2004, 11:59 AM   #3
merely human

Quote:
Drop (rhymes with rope) is eaten by about 80 percent of the country's 16 million residents, who consume about 31 million kilograms, or 68 million pounds, every year.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-20-2004, 12:08 PM   #4
Joop Sloop

At least it's not meat
Old 03-20-2004, 12:16 PM   #5
merely human

I hate licorice, but according to that article it's not the type I hate. Maybe I'd like it. Send me some, will you, ol' boy ? You ever had Turkish delights? My brother-in-law's originally from Istanbul, and he usually brings some back after their annual visit to his family. I like the flavour somewhat, but I hate it combined with the texture. Doesn't gel with me.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:21 PM   #6
Joop Sloop

If I was a little richer (Out of a job atm :/) I might have ordered some for you at www.hollandsedrop.com for you
Old 03-20-2004, 02:41 PM   #7
rare groove

Send a message via ICQ to Pappapisshu

Ahh, licorice.
Old 03-20-2004, 04:06 PM   #8
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
You ever had Turkish delights?
Real Turkish Delight is lovely. There's a horrible chocolate bar available here in the UK called Turkish Delight too, but the only way it resembles the real stuff is the gelatineyness. Interestingly enough, in Cypress (which is split between the Turks and Cypriots), you can buy both Turkish Delight and Cypress Delight, and it's exactly the same thing...
Old 03-20-2004, 04:18 PM   #9

hmmm.... zoute drop (salted licorice).

And here I am in the UK with the North sea between me and it.

Damn you, ysbreker! Damn you for posting that!

I could order some off that site, but ordering candy over the internet seems a bit silly... I don't think I'll start now.
Old 03-21-2004, 03:51 AM   #10
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappapisshu
Ahh, licorice.
exactly

Coffee is without a doubt one of the things that Finnish people consume the most
Quote:
Coffee comes statistically second in the World trade immediately after oil. It is also important in Finland: though the quantity of inhabitants is only one per mil of the population of the world, the consumption of coffee is almost two percent which as a matter of fact is a world record!
I don't drink coffee btw. Tastes like shit!

Oh, and I just wanted to add this
Quote:
Today, tea is the world’s most consumed beverage after water. It is estimated that somewhere between 18 and 20 billion 6 oz. cups of tea are drunk daily on our planet. There are around 3,000 types and 8,000 flavours, but only one single bush, namely Camellia Sinensis.
Talk about drinking habits
Old 03-21-2004, 03:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Today, tea is the world’s most consumed beverage after water. It is estimated that somewhere between 18 and 20 billion 6 oz. cups of tea are drunk daily on our planet. There are around 3,000 types and 8,000 flavours, but only one single bush, namely Camellia Sinensis.
I think I probably account for about half of that. :eek:
Old 03-21-2004, 05:31 AM   #12
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsius
I don't drink coffee btw. Tastes like shit!
I agree. I have once tasted coffee, and never will again.

Tea is not bad, but I don't drink that also.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:10 AM   #13
Sky is not the limit

Send a message via ICQ to Zanthia Send a message via Yahoo to Zanthia

What do you drink then?
Old 03-21-2004, 06:36 AM   #14
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Water and milk.

And gin sometimes.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:59 AM   #15
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
Water and milk.
Same here, and alcohol sometimes, but that's another story.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:41 AM   #16
Prove it all night

Send a message via MSN to James

wanted to link to guiness but was lazy, and decided not to perpetuate stereotypes.
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." - Thomas Edward Lawrence