You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent shows, gigs etc. you've seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2009, 01:44 AM   #1
Life and times of...

Default Recent shows, gigs etc. you've seen

(I couldn't find a thread like this, although I was sure I had seen one. Oh well, here goes!)

As the title might explain, tell us about recent shows, gigs, concerts, whatever (aside from films, as they have their own thread) you've been to recently. And mybe the rest of us will learn in the process, and perhaps if the same thing comes near us, we'll know to go!

Alright, I'll begin. I saw the London-based gypsy-tango-jazz-folk-whatever band ZUM last night, and let me tell you, it was incredible. They combine (Eastern European) gypsy music, argentinian tango, jazz and anything into this incredible mix of sounds, often (but not always) in a virtuoso-like frantic tempo. And the melodies are beautiful. As the bassist was Finnish, they also did their arrangements of two Finnish (more or less) traditional songs, especially the first one simply beautiful, and a great change from the usual high-tempo tracks.

Here's an example (because in this case a video is worth than thousands of words):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJrGleBuZaw
(this also shows the instruments - a piano, cello, violin, bass and accordion)

I really urge you to go see them if you catch a chance and it interests you at all. And they seemed like really great people too (had quite humorous introductions and such, for example)
http://www.zum.org.uk/
Old 07-08-2009, 02:04 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to MikeLXXXVIII

I was at tradgard yesterday in Gothenburg. Really fancy venue, liked the sophisticated style. Even the bathroom facilities were over the top. Like a lot was made out of metal, you had the toilet hoeses that you could pull (old school), the sink had a 30 degree downwards shape, and the usual place were men pee was mainly a wall. It all looked pretty good, wish I took some pictures of it :p.

Anyways to the concert! this you could call a mini festival with local bands. A lot of bands played that night, I left after the band I wanted to see were done. Took them freaking 3 hours for that to happen. At first I thought not bad, but a lot of average music. Then it just got worse and dragging while waiting for bands I had checked that are good. So might have missed them after I left. There was a tendency for bands to make the same sounding and structured songs, and a lot of shout singing. It would have felt better if they had less filler up bands, even if each band played 4-5 songs it gets tiring when its just a borefest. Finally the band Bye Bye Bicycle played, they had addition Cello/Violin/Saxofon on stage supporting them (their recent single uses those instruments). They even sung and played better than most bands. Very good at picking the 80s style, with some Joy Division/Smith inspired hooks/rhytm. I knew that from before though thats why I went to this place. They didn't play my favourite song which is such an amazing song.

http://www.swedesplease.net/2008/07/...ur-recordings/

Check out Eastside!
I did hear some new songs, one wasnt all that good while the other was okay. They haven't released an album so they are pretty new as band. Did like the song 500 miles or something.

So in Conclusion I really liked the venue, but the music not so great. Then it just costed me 80 sek (for 10 - 15 bands or something) so nothing to complain about as I got to see Bye Bye Bicycle (80 sek is like 7,5 british pounds/11 dollars so very cheap!). It was a bit fun too since convinced my Australian hostel room mate to join me. There was this attention seeking Finnish girl (I think she said?) who picked him up randomly to dance with. Glad it wasn't me :p

Last edited by MikeLXXXVIII; 07-08-2009 at 02:19 AM.