You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat What to do in Helsinki?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
Lazy Bee

Default What to do in Helsinki?

So, I finally arranged for me and my family to go a cruise to Helsinki next week. Something I've been longing for for quite some time.
We're getting seven hours in Helsinki before the boat returns to Stockholm and we want to see some sights, perhaps do some shopping or at least window shopping and have lunch at some nice place, not too expensive.

So, my Finnish friends, I rely on you for some advice on what to do.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:29 PM   #2
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Good question! Is there, for example, a Finnish history museum or other "must-see" touristy type attractions?

Share the love.

<3
Old 03-31-2009, 03:58 AM   #3
Life and times of...

Well, there's the Finnish National Museum
http://www.nba.fi/sv/ (in swedish, though you can change the language)
http://www.nba.fi/sv/nationalmuseum
(I think it said that the tickets are free tuesday evenings (from about 17.30 or something forward)

And quite close to it right by the train station, pretty much in the centrum, the Kiasma museum of modern art
http://www.kiasma.fi/index.php?id=11&L=2 (again, you can change the language, I just thought that Swedish would be appropriate this time)

There's Sveaborg or Suomenlinna
http://www.suomenlinna.fi/index.php?lang=swe (the island(s) and ex-castle just outside Helsinki) (you might also want to check it out in Wikipedia for more info (I didn't actually check any of these sites, just that they are the correct ones))

That's at leat museum-wise. The most obvious things to come to mind, I'll see about more later...

(Edit): How could I forget the Ateneum... http://www.ateneum.fi/default.asp?docId=11874

I think that at least Kiasma and Ateneum are "must-see" as you said, Suomenlinna too (at least in the summer). I haven't actually been to the Finnish National Museum, that I remember at least, so I can't really say how must-see it is. But I guess if you want to know about Finland...

But wait, you only have seven hours... Not enough time to see them all. I'd not go to Suomenlinna then, as it takes quite a lot of time to properly explore (and there's a ferry ride too, although not a long one). All the others are really close (I'm not sure where the cruise ships come, but I'm pretty sure it's at least very close, if not pretty much in the centrum (or whatever it's called)). I guess it depends on the exhibits that you want to see. Pretty much all the main attractions (not all but most) are really close to each other, including much of the shopping places, so you shouldn't have much of a problem checking them out.

As I said, I can get back to you with a bit more (I'll ask around) a bit later. When are you coming?

Last edited by UPtimist; 03-31-2009 at 06:35 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:41 AM   #4
Lazy Bee

Thanks for the links Uptimist. I'll check them out.

I've been to Helsinki before and I remember a church which was integrated with the surrounding rocks, or how to put it.
It was very beautiful. I can't remember the name of it though.

I'm also interested in Finnish design: (Marimekko, Alvar Aalto, iitala, you name it.)
Do you know if there's a design museum or anything similar in Helsinki?
Old 03-31-2009, 08:59 AM   #5
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Jelena, it sounds like you (and I... eventually) might need more than one afternoon to do justice to all the sights of Helsinki.

Share the love.

<3
Old 03-31-2009, 10:38 AM   #6
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Jelena, it sounds like you (and I... eventually) might need more than one afternoon to do justice to all the sights of Helsinki.
I'm sure that's true. Now I'll have to do the best of the hours we've got and make sure that the entire family is happy with what we choose to do.
I promise to post pictures.

Sage, check your PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:07 AM   #7
Life and times of...

I can't post any links now (I don't have the time), but I'm sure you can find out about them yourself too (or I can come back later. I will, but I'm not sure when)

Anyways, for shopping, there's pretty much two centres you could/should visit: Stockmann and Kamppi. Stockmann is of course (I believe) the biggest department store in the Nordic countries (as I said, I could be wrong). Too bad (or good if you don't like crowds ) you're coming next week, you just missed the Galna Dagar. Kamppi on the other hand is a mall, you know, with all kinds of different shops .

Then of course there's quite a few boutiques along the Esplanadi (the North and South), and around that area. Marimekko, Iittala and the likes (were you here a little longer, you could take the train about a 130 or so km north and visit the actual Iittala factory and museums there).

The church you mentioned might be the orthodox church. That's definitely a must-see (by Finnish standards at least ). Aside from that there's the obvious cathedral (or whatever) by the senate market (or wathever the word is I'm on fire right now. I mean that there's no market there, but it's the kind of open space ). Inside it's the usual boring protestant simplism, but it's more grand outside. And actually sort of "behind" it is the house of castes (my own translation), quite an interesting building (on the outside at least, I have no idea if you can even go inside. the architecture sort of catches you by surprise, because there's nothing too specuial around it).

BTW, there's currently a Kalevala exhibit in Ateneum if you're into that (I guess if you want Finnish culture, there's nothing quite as Finnish...) Also there is some design museum here. I haven't yet taken a look, so I have no idea what's in there (I know the street, it's also pretty close, but I don't know exactly where it is), but here's the link:
http://www.designmuseum.fi/

And I still haven't had the chance to ask around so you'll have to wait for better help (like, more "expert" advice). What day are you coming?
Old 04-01-2009, 08:11 AM   #8
Lazy Bee

Uptimist
You've been most helpful! Kiitos paljon!
I'm sure I find the links I need and to be honest I feel most interested in the design museum and I know for sure my children will want to visit Stockmann's.
I also think we'll take a walk to that orthodox church and then we play it by ear.

Oh, and we arrive on Wednesday morning.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:29 AM   #9
Life and times of...

I found out the "church integrated with the surrounding rocks". Funny thing is that I don't know if I had even heard of it... Which is rather shocking considering how much I've been in Helsinki (even though I haven't actually lived there very long (and even now just part-time))

Here it is in Swedish Wiki:
http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempelplatsens_kyrka

Directly translated as the Temple Square Church (Temppelinaukion kirkko or in Swedish Tempelplatsens kyrka). It's close-ish, I think. I should probably go see it myself, too

Anyways... I'd say something funny about me being a sight, but I won't be in Helsinki then, so I'll just pass (on making myself look silly).

BTW, I asked and heard that the design museum indeed is indeed not too bad at all (and how could it, to be honest?), so do go there. Need any, like, directions or more help or anything?
Old 04-04-2009, 07:42 AM   #10
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
Here it is in Swedish Wiki:
http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempelplatsens_kyrka

Directly translated as the Temple Square Church (Temppelinaukion kirkko or in Swedish Tempelplatsens kyrka). It's close-ish, I think. I should probably go see it myself, too
That's indeed the one.

Quote:
BTW, I asked and heard that the design museum indeed is indeed not too bad at all (and how could it, to be honest?), so do go there. Need any, like, directions or more help or anything?
Great, then we'll definitely go there.

I think we're all set. We buy a map on the boat, put on comfortable shoes and we'll be ready for Helsinki in spring.
Ooh, I can't wait!
Old 04-04-2009, 01:38 PM   #11
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Make sure you're up on deck just after the boat leaves Helsinki to get a good look at the Suomenlinna fortress, even if you don't have time to visit it yourself:

They come very close! You can watch a stream of them pass the islands at around 17:15, but since you're only there for a day, I guess you'll have to make do with being on one of them!
Old 04-09-2009, 05:07 AM   #12
Life and times of...

So, how was it? Eh?

It was a pretty nice day, at least...
Old 04-09-2009, 09:07 AM   #13
Lazy Bee

It was a great trip!
The cruise ship had lots of restaurants and shopping opportunities which made us both full up and broke.

Helsinki offered a beautiful, sunny but a bit cold day. I had never thought about it before, but Helsinki is situated further up north compared to Stockholm and is thus a couple or three weeks behind when it comes to spring. It was still ice in the harbour for instance.

After having indulged in a huge dinner buffé the evening before and also a huge breakfast buffét we realized that we needed to see Helsinki by foot. So we did lots and lots of walking, visiting both the Temple church and the big white cathedral which both offered peace and serenity. There were easter preparations on top of the stairs by the Cathedral. Those are steep stairs btw!
A woman explaied to us that each Easter there's an outdoor theater (about the last days of Jesus) taking place on several places like parks and squares of Helsinki (correct me if I'm wrong Uptimist) And outside the cathedral the crusifiction was to take place. It all takes place on Saturday and the audience watching can be up to ten thousand people.
We also walked through Stockmann's and of course visited the Marimekko and Fazer shops in central Helsinki.

After four hours of walking we decided to return to the ship for some sauna and jacuzzi. We actually sat by the relax area's panorama windows watching the ship leave Helsinki. Huz was right about the ship being really close to the Suomelinna fortress as well as some other small islands. The captain was obvioulsy talented in maneuvering that huge ship.

There will be pictures I promise. If not today, I'll post them tomorrow.

Last edited by Jelena; 04-09-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #14
Life and times of...

Did you visit the Uspensk cathedral (the orthodox church, visible in the harbor, you know, the red one)? One of the only churches in Finland that's actually as beautiful on the inside as it is from the outside. Of course, I hear it's closed sometimes (or so I've heard, I've never been there at sucha time)...

And what you said about the "re-enactment" (I presume I'm using it rather broadly) of the Easter is... Well, pretty much what you said, though I've never seen it in person, just a couple flashes in the news.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:02 PM   #15
Lazy Bee

Some pictures:

Chatting about whether to enter the church or not. We did and it was very nice. Those steps in front of the church/cathedral were really steep.

The Temple church is situated a bit outside the center of Helsinki. The roof is made of copper and the upper walls are concrete beams with glass in between.

The ceiling is made of copper.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:06 PM   #16
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
Did you visit the Uspensk cathedral (the orthodox church, visible in the harbor, you know, the red one)?
This one:

No we didn't. But it was spectacular. The onion shaped domes were obviously covered in gold. And it looked like someone recently had been polishing it.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:29 PM   #17
tsa
Playing character

Those are very interesting buildings Jelena! And it's nice to see your family again. Pity that Mr. J. is not on the pictures.