You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat American electronics store shipping to Europe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2008, 10:46 AM   #1
tsa
Playing character

Default American electronics store shipping to Europe

I'd love to give my mother an Asus Eee PC (link to ArsTechnica because the Asus website is surprisingly abysmal) to get her on the Internet. Because electronics are rather expensive in Europe compared to the US (especially with the dollar being so low), I was looking for the machine on American shopping websites. All the stores I visited only ship to addresses inside the US, however. Does any one of you know if there are US shops that ship to Europe?
Old 01-02-2008, 01:25 PM   #2
Psychonaut

When you factor in the import tax would it still be cheaper to buy it from the USA.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:48 AM   #3
tsa
Playing character

I think so, yes. For games I calculated it the last time I bought some, and even with all the taxes and transport costs I still saved money. Luckily I didn't have to pay taxes because they don't check every packet at the border, so I got the games very cheap. I guess with electronics they will check more thoroughly though.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:54 AM   #4
Under pressure.

Hmm. I remember ordering Psychonauts from a US store just after it was out. I don't remember how much it cost, but I do remember shipping was 20 bucks and I had to pay another (unexpected) 20 bucks to the UPS guy at my door for the added tax(es). Anyway, it was the most expensive game I bought to date.

--Erwin
Old 01-03-2008, 11:47 PM   #5
tsa
Playing character

YMMV then

My brother once bought a lens for his camera from a US-based Internet shop, and he also ended up paying so much tax that he could just as well have bought it in the Netherlands. But still it's an experiment I'm willing to try.

However, it seems nobody can help me finding a shop to buy the Eee PC from!