You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The new generation of iPods has arrived!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2007, 02:18 AM   #21
In an evening of July...

I am an owner of a four year old iPod (3rd gen). The hard drive does have its quirks, and the battery lasts for about two hours - but that's after listening to it each day, and dropping it every other. By now that thing is so outdated I would be crazy to purchase a new battery and a drive, a new iPod would probably cost less; although, I kind of prefer the old monochrome menu to the new shiny interface of the 5th gen - it is much faster and more responsive.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:07 AM   #22
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeaf View Post
But... does it run rockbox?
I'm sure there will be rockbox for these new models very soon if not already.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:54 PM   #23

Nope, second generation nano does not run rockbox and is not expected to anytime remotely soon.

Apparently, like the nano 2G, the new batch of ipods contain a lot of circuitry made by apple themselves and use a lot of encryption. So there won't be a lot of options for rockbox besides soeme sandisks, but luckily they have a bit of a tendency to use similar technology, so maybe they'll port it to one with better sound quality than the E200 series.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:03 PM   #24
Super Moderator

I've been eyeing these Sansa players as a possible future purchase. They seem pretty inexpensive for the the music storage (and it says the battery is replacable).
Old 09-14-2007, 11:36 AM   #25
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeaf View Post
Nope, second generation nano does not run rockbox and is not expected to anytime remotely soon.

Apparently, like the nano 2G, the new batch of ipods contain a lot of circuitry made by apple themselves and use a lot of encryption. So there won't be a lot of options for rockbox besides soeme sandisks, but luckily they have a bit of a tendency to use similar technology, so maybe they'll port it to one with better sound quality than the E200 series.
I didn't know that. My 1st gen nano runs it.

I imagine it wasn't coincidence that alluvasudden 2nd gen nanos can't run rockbox. Apple must be trying to stop it....for some reason.

The Sansa seems like a good purchase, although I know very little about them. The fact the battery's replaceable alone is pretty cool. But for a hundred more you can get an 80 gig iPod Classic, ten times what the largest Sansa can carry. Granted, flash memory is really nice.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:53 AM   #26
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/...Supported.html

Weeeell... that didn't take long.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.