You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Idols in Holland? This is strange stuff...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2004, 06:23 AM   #1
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig
Default Idols in Holland? This is strange stuff...

http://www.samu.us/idols.wmv

I really don't know what to say about this?
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-25-2004, 06:46 AM   #2
Headbanger

Amazing. When are their record released?
Old 01-25-2004, 06:55 AM   #3
Under pressure.

That's indeed from the Dutch Idols. The second (and current) season to be precise.

These folks in the video clip are some the worst candidates of the auditions from a few weeks back and their performance at a football stadium was some kind of joke

Where did you get that clip from, btw? And what did you think it was, our selection of best candidates?

--Erwin
Old 01-25-2004, 07:36 AM   #4

A friend of mine said she knew someone who auditioned for the program. It's completely rigged. They flat out ask you to sing as bad as you can and put that on the show as "one of the worst auditions".

But even ignoring that, I can't even begin to describe how sad this program is...
Old 01-25-2004, 09:06 AM   #5
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
Where did you get that clip from, btw? And what did you think it was, our selection of best candidates?

--Erwin
My friend found it from the web somewhere.

I really have began to hate programs such as Idols, Popstars, Millionaire Joe etc...

"Reality" tv shows
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:37 AM   #6

Ah, but you ain't seen nothing yet...

On English TV, they now have a show where - get this - you watch a group of people, for a whole week, trying not to fall asleep!

And I thought existing reality shows were boring!!!
Old 01-25-2004, 11:34 AM   #7

See, this is what's good about never watching TV. I can thankfully say that I've never watched a reality TV show in my life (apart from about 20 seconds of the UK Big Brother before I flipped over)
Old 01-25-2004, 01:01 PM   #8
jaf
big, hairy and blue

What's Idols? an american football team?
Old 01-25-2004, 01:17 PM   #9
Under pressure.

It's not a reality show as some people seem to be suggesting here. It's some kind of talent scouting program in which a few judges are seeking "the ultimate pop idol". In the first few weeks people can do auditions, and later on the group of people that made it through these auditions are taking part in an elimination race. Eventually only one person will win a contract in the music business.

American Pop Idol winner Kelly Clarkson seems to be do pretty good in charts all around the world.

--Erwin
Old 01-25-2004, 01:46 PM   #10
Puts the 'e' in Mark

The funny thing about all the early rounds of Idols is that you rarely ever see the jury and the contestants in a single shot. The jury is in fact edited in later. All the rumors of a "contract of death" are true, by the way. You have to sell your soul to win the contest. The same was true for the series Starmaker. (At least so I've heard indirectly from three Idols and Starmaker contestants.)
Old 01-25-2004, 01:50 PM   #11

And, of course, the idols themselves are just hired in actors and can't really sing. That's why sometimes, if you look hard, you can see that they are just lipping the whole thing.
Spoiler:
Kurt Nilsen won World Idol, by the way. Woohooo! (As a norwegian, I'm obligated to say this whenever Idol is brought up.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:32 PM   #12
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
The funny thing about all the early rounds of Idols is that you rarely ever see the jury and the contestants in a single shot. The jury is in fact edited in later. All the rumors of a "contract of death" are true, by the way. You have to sell your soul to win the contest. The same was true for the series Starmaker. (At least so I've heard indirectly from three Idols and Starmaker contestants.)
Hehe, yeah, but isn't that the case with almost everything they show on TV?

And these contracts are indeed EVIL! I'd rather work for the Devil himself!

--Erwin
Old 01-25-2004, 05:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara
See, this is what's good about never watching TV. I can thankfully say that I've never watched a reality TV show in my life (apart from about 20 seconds of the UK Big Brother before I flipped over)
Yeah, I watched Big Brother for one minute and was paralyzed with boredom such that I had to force myself to stay awake so that I could change the channel.

... and worst of all, Holland started all this. Oh the shame, the shame....

Erwin... Idols/Starmaker/*insert other lame program here* ARE just reality shows with a different angle. All they do is put some boring people in your face for ages and make them do boring stuff. It is *not* a talent scouting program. You really can't have the word talent and the name of any of those programs in the same sentence without causing a time paradox resulting in the disruption of the space time continuum that could destroy the entire universe!

You're just not thinking fourth-dimensionally.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:03 PM   #14
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

As an American its pleasing to me that most of the crappy television created in the past 5 years originated in Europe.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 01-25-2004, 10:51 PM   #15
comfortably numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
As an American its pleasing to me that most of the crappy television created in the past 5 years originated in Europe.
Yes, we are finally catching up with you! The joys of evolution.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:54 PM   #16
comfortably numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
The funny thing about all the early rounds of Idols is that you rarely ever see the jury and the contestants in a single shot. The jury is in fact edited in later.
This was interesting, we wondered about it while watching the Finnish Idols last Fall. Having that in mind, they could've scripted it a bit better.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
Are you kidding me? If so, that is a sick joke! First of all, Idol originated in the US before it came to Europe. Second of all: The Bachelor, The Bachelorette, The Millionaire, Extreme Make-Over, Meet My Folks, Temptation Island, Who Wants to Date a Millionaire, Jackass, The Osbournes, The Simple Life, Rich Girls, Meet My Dad, Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire, For Love or Money, Who Wants to Divorce a Millionaire and Meet Me...
And this is only some of the reality shows origianted from the US. Don't get me started on the daily soaps...
Old 01-25-2004, 11:26 PM   #18
comfortably numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordic_guy
The Bachelor, The Bachelorette, The Millionaire, Extreme Make-Over, Meet My Folks, Temptation Island, Who Wants to Date a Millionaire, Jackass, The Osbournes, The Simple Life, Rich Girls, Meet My Dad, Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire, For Love or Money, Who Wants to Divorce a Millionaire and Meet Me...
Robinson came from Sweden!
Old 01-26-2004, 02:27 AM   #19
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo
... and worst of all, Holland started all this. Oh the shame, the shame....
True, but I'm only ashamed I didn't buy any Endemol (the company that designed the format) stocks just before they started the very first Bigh Brother here in Holland.

Quote:
Erwin... Idols/Starmaker/*insert other lame program here* ARE just reality shows with a different angle. All they do is put some boring people in your face for ages and make them do boring stuff. It is *not* a talent scouting program. You really can't have the word talent and the name of any of those programs in the same sentence without causing a time paradox resulting in the disruption of the space time continuum that could destroy the entire universe!

You're just not thinking fourth-dimensionally.
I can see Starmaker as a reality show, but not Idols. Even though the word 'talent' is misplaced According to your definition of boring people and boring stuff, I'd have to call a lot of Discovery/National Geographic docu's reality shows. Idols isn't a reality show because it doesn't show the usual days of these people. Reality shows are for example that Airport program, where they follow several Airport employees during their work.

Oh damn, I'm rambling again.

--Erwin

Last edited by Erwin_Br; 01-26-2004 at 02:33 AM.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:30 AM   #20
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordic_guy
Are you kidding me? If so, that is a sick joke! First of all, Idol originated in the US before it came to Europe. Second of all: The Bachelor, The Bachelorette, The Millionaire, Extreme Make-Over, Meet My Folks, Temptation Island, Who Wants to Date a Millionaire, Jackass, The Osbournes, The Simple Life, Rich Girls, Meet My Dad, Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire, For Love or Money, Who Wants to Divorce a Millionaire and Meet Me...
And this is only some of the reality shows origianted from the US. Don't get me started on the daily soaps...
Oh my, Extreme Makeover was made by Endemol USA , a division of uh. Endemol. So I guess that's another program from Holland

--Erwin