You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Need Help Regarding Website Designing Tools

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2006, 08:53 PM   #1
Schoolgirl From Hell

Default Need Help Regarding Website Designing Tools

Hey guys. I need to update my old class website, but I have a problem. I just discovered that my Microsoft Office no longer has Frontpage but they have this really confusing thing called Miscrosoft Publisher. I don't like it because it's really confusing and I really don't know how to work using it. I thought Frontpage is a lot easier for me.

Do you guys know any freeware that could help me with this? Anyone?

"Or is it I who has penetrated you?"
Old 10-27-2006, 10:27 PM   #2
SSH
Super Scottish Hero

Get a decent CMS, like Joomla, then downloa one of the many templates. Awesome websites for little effort.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:39 AM   #3
Schoolgirl From Hell

It looks confusing! How do I use it? I just downloaded it and there's like a bunch of .zip files.

"Or is it I who has penetrated you?"
Old 10-28-2006, 06:43 AM   #4
SSH
Super Scottish Hero

Backup your website first, obviously, then unzip the joomla file, then upload ths whole lot to your website. Then just visit your website. Or follow the great install guide on their website...
Old 10-28-2006, 10:52 AM   #5
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucyminx
I just discovered that my Microsoft Office no longer has Frontpage but they have this really confusing thing called Miscrosoft Publisher.
I assume you have two versions of Office, I haven't tried it on any later versions of Office but I remember that I would install earlier versions of software not included the Office package that I bought later. Publisher from '97 with Office XP installed (without Publisher).

Publisher is not a HTML editor, although a lot of Office programmes can generate HTML. Frontpage won't be in the next version of Office, it's being replaced by something called the "Expression Web Designer".
Quote:
Do you guys know any freeware that could help me with this? Anyone?
There are no good free WYSIWYG HTML editors. I don't recommend using one to create websites anyway, html and css are really easy, and there are plenty of template sites so you don't even have to do much of the work. I use Notepad++ for editing HTML.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:50 AM   #6

DEFINITELY buy Serif WebPlus. The new version (WebPlus 10) has just come out and it is amazing. Complete WYSIWYG design, and very powerful, with the ability to make very professional sites. It has the option of going into the HTML and editing it by hand, but you don't have to if you don't want to.

If you don't need something quite that powerful, I have my old copy of WebPlus 9 that I'm about to sell off. It's essentially a WYSIWYG desktop publishing program dedicated to making websites, without the ability to make professional business sites. It also offers the option of editing the HTML directly if you want to.

Basically, in WebPlus 9 you can have text, pictures, and hyperlinks. If you're going to be making personal and small club sites, and don't need to have forms and shopping carts and Flash presentations, it's enough.

If you're interested in taking the WebPlus 9 off my hands, let me know.