You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Bone writer Jeff Smith interviews (Norwegian newspaper Dagbladet)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2006, 09:37 AM   #1
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera
Default Bone writer Jeff Smith interviews (Norwegian newspaper Dagbladet)

Today the Norwegian newspaper "Dagbladet" arranged a net meeting with Jeff Smith, author of the Bone series. Poeple could send in their questions, and hope for an answer. Most of the questions are understandably about the comic, therefore I'm posting it in chit chat. A little comment on Telltale in there though..
There arn't that many interesting questions, but I thought you'd like to read it anyway..

Original article in Dagbladet is in Norgwegian, but the questions and answers are, udnerstandably, in English.

Quote:
Thank you

for opening the world of comics. When I started reading Bone I realized you can draw a whole book, not just 40 pages for fun. Thank you!
Innsendt av: Hanna

You are welcome! It looks like I have to run, now, but thank you all for your questions. I hope to see you at the bok i sentrum tomorrow!

Jeff

hello

hi what is your favorite movie
Innsendt av: Toa

Casablanca

Jeff

Norwegian tranzlations

Hi, I simply love your cartoon Bone!!! My all time favorite! For me it has been a slight frustration though that so little of it has been translated into Norwegian. Will this ever happen?

Ruth
Innsendt av: Ruth Karin Steen

Good news! Egmont has just released a magnificent Norwegian edition that is bigger, better than anything I've seen. And in full color! Come tomorrow at 3 to the bok i sentrum, and we will premiere it!

Jeff

Smiley

First of all I want to say that Bone is some of the best comics I've ever read, I've read through it almost ten times.

Second after reading through it I've been really facinated with the Smiley Bone character, I just can't decide. Is he really smart, really stupid or both?

Innsendt av: Peder

What a really good question!

Jeff

Marvelous

Hi, I really enjoy your work Mr. Smith; the ingenious way you bring life into your toons and the humor they radiate. Is there any chance you'll ever do something together with Gaiman, who is another fairytale hero of mine. He is perhaps a tad more gloomy than you, but in my fantasy the couple of you could work out marvels.
Innsendt av: Frank M

I would love to. Never even occurred to me before.

Jeff

More Bone?

Thanks for a great adventure story in Bone!!
Do you plan on making any more Bone stories? Either additional prequels or further adventures with "the Bones"?

Thanks.
Innsendt av: Christian

Oh. yes.

Jeff

Movie

I love Bone very much. It's literrally changed my life during the years, and still keeps on surprising me when it comes to both the fantastic story and the beautiful artwork. Anyway, my question is this: Is there a Bone movie in the making? And if there is, who will star in it, and when will we be able to see it?
Innsendt av: Marius Jacobsen

No movie in the immediate future. Sorry!

Jeff

the best comic book
which comic book is in yout opinion the best ever made?

Keep up the good work!

- Thomas Batman
Innsendt av: Thomas Batman

TinTin or Uncle Scrooge

Jeff

Bonegame

Hi!

Are you satisfied with how the game turned out? I haven´t played it, but I hope the great story and characters from the books are kept in focus. Too many computer games care only about fighting and action, instead of good storytelling.
Innsendt av: Mathias

Telltale Games is founded on the idea that people will like story based games.

Jeff

Jeez

Hi Jeff.
I miss the little green bug. any plans for him? and what about your homepageshop and other Bonestuff besides comics? I so much want the cap with my little green friend.

Thumbs up, Kalle
Innsendt av: Kalle

Keep your eyes open for new things at the Boneville.com shop page...

Jeff

Dc and the future

Hi. I read the whole Bone series a few years ago, and I was amazed! It really hit me as a comical adventure, but with an incredible suspense (the hooded one creeped the s**t out of me!!). You could really watch the characters grow as the story progressed, and I was blown away! And now you're workin at DC? What are your current/future projects? Writing, drawing, both?
Innsendt av: Big T

My Shazam!mini-series will come out this year and my creator owned series will start some time in early 2008

Jeff

Bone the Movie

whos gonna play the bones in the motion picture? i suggest Ashton Kutcher, Peter Crouch and Robert Iler
Innsendt av: Uncle Tom

Not bad...

Jeff

Hello

I love Bone. Will you keep making small stories from the universe like the one with the uncle?
Innsendt av: Dragee

I hope so!

Jeff

The Most Beautiful Animal in the World

I've never quite liked Bone. But I like Giraffes. Could you create a new Bone comic with some Giraffes in it?
Innsendt av: Bolleh

I'm not a big fan of people named Bolleh. But I also like giraffes. Maybe you could change your name to Giraffe and we would both be happy.

Jeff

Literacy

How important do you think graphic novels like Bone ais when it comes to encouraging children to develop their reading skills in general?

And who's your favourite character?

Innsendt av: Britt Elin

A teacher could probably answer your question better, but I can tell you that I and many people I know learned to read because of comics. And we all went on to read books like Moby Dick.

Jeff

Hi

Will you ever make a comic based on characters you have created yourself again?
Innsendt av: Troll

I have started to work on a new story about a man who is on the run. It will be a science fiction story about characters I create.

Jeff

More Bone?

First of all, thank you so much for the most wonderful cartoonbooks ever made. I've read them all several times, and I discover new funny details every time.

And so the question; are you ever going to write more about "the bones"? I really wish there were more books to read about them. And about the dragons as well. The "Rose" book was brilliant, but what about the dragons? I really want to know more about them!!

And again, I love your work!
Innsendt av: Bonelover

Charles Vess, who painted the ROSE book has told me he would like to do a sequel to ROSE. If we do, you will learn more about the dragons!

Jeff

boner

is bone named after your dick?
Innsendt av: julia

Yes.

Jeff

Cannot find book number 9

Hello.

I have been collecting the graphic novels version of bone. I got book 1-8, but I just cannot find the last book anywhere. Where can I get it?
Innsendt av: Stig

You can try Amazon.com or e-bay. Many comic shops stil have them. Good luck!

Jeff

inspiration.

Lord of the Rings meets Don Rosa's Donald Duck, would you agreee with that assesment?

Other then that, thanks for a great story, and for printing the whole story in one volume.
Innsendt av: Tore Slinning

I would agree! I recently described BONE to a French journalist as Asterix meets Heavy Metal. What do you think of that ?

Jeff
Tomorrow Jeff Smith is attending a "Book in Sentrum" meeting together with Lise Myhre (author of norwegian comic, Nemi) witch I'm planning to attend..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery

Last edited by Panthera; 10-28-2006 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:56 AM   #2
Creepy Father Figure

Jeff Smith is a real nice guy. I liked him even when he and Dave Sim got into it (I enjoyed both there work so I couldn't bring myself to take sides.). He is the most prolific signer I had ever met, he was also doing pics for everyone. I had a good spot since I provided the board stock he was using (I was a programmable paper cutter operator at the time) and he made a wonderful pic for me and Mrs R. Here I'll scan it and put it up.

Old 10-28-2006, 09:21 AM   #3
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

So.. Today I went to the "Book in Sentrum" meeting and watched the interview with Jeff Smith and Lise Myhre. It was very interesting. Apparently Jeff had insisted on being interviewed together with Lise, because he's a big fan of her, and she has also just released a new book. Much of the interview was about the newly published collection of the frist three Bone books, inn colour, and translated to Norwegian.

He said that he in 1990 scetched the last comic in the story, the final scene, and he had worked towards that ever since. 12 years later, after almost nine books, he picked the first scetch out of the drawer and inked it, and put it into his last story. That's kinda cool!

He's apparently going to release all the bone books again, in colour, in America too. After the interview there was a booksigning, so I rushed over the street to Outland (comic book/board games/fantasy &sci fi store, usually called geek store) and bought the full collection of Bone stories (in black and white) in English, I'm not especially fond of norwegian translations, and make a point of buying the original language, if I understand it, and rushed back again to stand in line for a autograph. I also bought the new Nemi book, and got it signed by Lise.

Extract from Bone series

Pic from Nemi book

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery

Last edited by Panthera; 10-28-2006 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Added Pictures
Old 10-28-2006, 02:58 PM   #4
Under pressure.

I bought the Volume One edition at Borders, when I was in the US. I don't think they sell Bone here, I've even checked some small specialized comic stores!

--Erwin