You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Help Me Catch A Saboteur!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2006, 06:24 PM   #21
Super Moderator

Has anyone reported it to the police?
Old 08-17-2006, 06:32 PM   #22
Live Slow Die Old

Why don't you fill the room outside the furnace room with carbon monoxide, but not enough to kill a person. Since the gas is oderless, they'll never suspect a thing until they open the door and KABOOM!!! Then the next day, dress up as a girl scout or something, go door to door and look for the guy (or girl) with singed eyebrows and hideously disfiguring burns all over his/her face.

And if the explosion kills them, then it's probably the person who's apartment just became available. The perfect plan!!

btw, where in Canada do you live? Just curious (how can you be so vague like that? We're bigger than all of Europe!)
Old 08-17-2006, 06:43 PM   #23
DAVE

Shotgun-on-a-wire works like a charm everytime.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:28 PM   #24
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakSquash
Neither of them die.
Really? I heard that you saw jason at the end holding freddys head.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:50 PM   #25
Super Moderator

Boy, nothing like ruining Jason vs. Freddy for me. I was sooo looking forward to seeing that one.

Old 08-17-2006, 08:36 PM   #26
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

A tripwire across the door and a giant glue trap just inside the door might be a more expedient method of catching the miscreant.

Share the love.

<3
Old 08-17-2006, 09:00 PM   #27
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
Really? I heard that you saw jason at the end holding freddys head.
Yeah, a head that smiles and winks at the camera.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:30 PM   #28
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
Why don't you fill the room outside the furnace room with carbon monoxide, but not enough to kill a person. Since the gas is oderless, they'll never suspect a thing until they open the door and KABOOM!!!
Either I'm missing something in your line of thought or you're confusing carbon monoxide with a gas that is actually volatile.

I think the best way is to catch the perp red-handed by hiding in the boiler room for a very long time. I don't know if it is big enough, but if you can hide out of sight for long enough to observe someone doing something, and then jump out and freak them out, that would be the best thing to do.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:19 AM   #29
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoofa
MY door is right by the furnace room door, and my door opening and closing might blow away the paper. Hmm.
Since your door is right by this room: If you have the time, get a really large, male, brave friend to do a stakeout of this room together with you. Be prepared with a digital camera and take the intrudor redhanded. If he/she turns out to be aggressive, step back and let the big guy do the work. If you don't have anyone like that I'll lend you by brother-in-law. He's big and brave!
Old 08-18-2006, 04:07 AM   #30
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel
Boy, nothing like ruining Jason vs. Freddy for me. I was sooo looking forward to seeing that one.
Oh whoops :Frown:

Quote:
Oh you, well don't read on cause I'm gonna blow the whole thing open!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SakSquash
Yeah, a head that smiles and winks at the camera.
Exactly, he winks cause hes going to hell. Wasn't it agbout them fighting for who rules hell? So whats gonna happen now that hes dead first?
Old 08-18-2006, 06:18 AM   #31
Live Slow Die Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingzjester
Either I'm missing something in your line of thought or you're confusing carbon monoxide with a gas that is actually volatile.
Oops. I'm not sure why I thought it was. How about Hydrogen?
Old 08-18-2006, 06:33 AM   #32
Tactlessly understated

Quote:
Oops. I'm not sure why I thought it was. How about Hydrogen?
He might as well rig a gun with a string to go off and shoot whoever opens the door.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:45 AM   #33
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Another issue with the Carbon monoxide - unless the furnace is electric, which won't do anything bad - the gas or oil furnaces need oxygen to run, so either of them will shut down.

M
Old 08-18-2006, 01:06 PM   #34
DAVE

I'm actually not kidding when I say you should consider the old tar and feathers trap. I mean, if you're at home regularly you should notice it being tripped on and all you have to do is check in the building. Assuming, that is, it's someone who's just doing it cos he/she's insane and doesn't even live there. I don't remember the backstory, only read it yesterday.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:55 AM   #35
Roar?

So this jackass cut the cables AGAIN the day AFTER it was fixed. My landlord and the general contractor working on the building are hopping mad and the GC was just in the furnace room swearing up a blue storm and installing a deadbolt. I'm going to ask my landlord to change the lock leading into this area of the basement, too.

What a creep. It's just me and another girl down here. What if this guy escalates? Our theory (my hallmate and I do a lot of theorising on this) is that the saboteur is probably a construction worker pissed off about something, or someone living in the building with a grudge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwking4
I saw this on CSI... coat the door handle with some paint mixed with motor oil to keep it from drying. When they grab the handle, they'll have wet paint on their hands, and they'll go to wash their hands. Then, in their moment of vulnerability, you murder them in some terrible, fiendish way.

Or use something like this so you can hear next-door to catch them in the act. You could probably find one for a couple dollars at your favorite Wal-Mart type store. The louder, the better.
First I must remember to smash the lightbulb so they can't see to escape!

I like those alarm things, I might get one for my apartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeaf
Why not just put in some sort of cheap voice recorder? If you want to increase your chance of getting them to make a noise, just put something heavy and hard to see on the floor.
I don't think "oof!" would be a great noise to identify someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
Has anyone reported it to the police?
My landlord doesn't want to, she seems to think it's a rival cable company. Even though that theory makes no sense whatsoever. Oh yeah, all those cable companies breaking into apartment buildings and cutting cables and messing with routers.

Quote:
Why don't you fill the room outside the furnace room with carbon monoxide, but not enough to kill a person. Since the gas is oderless, they'll never suspect a thing until they open the door and KABOOM!!! Then the next day, dress up as a girl scout or something, go door to door and look for the guy (or girl) with singed eyebrows and hideously disfiguring burns all over his/her face.

And if the explosion kills them, then it's probably the person who's apartment just became available. The perfect plan!!

btw, where in Canada do you live? Just curious (how can you be so vague like that? We're bigger than all of Europe!)
The room outside the furnace room is the hallway and my apartment. I don't really want to knock myself out. I also don't really want to blow myself up with a combustible gas so someone can have my apartment, go figure!

I'm not in Qwee-beck. Mare-see. Voulez vous un McLobster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage
A tripwire across the door and a giant glue trap just inside the door might be a more expedient method of catching the miscreant.
And totally satisfying! I could have a good kick fest with the bastard trapped in the glue trap. Then I'd pour red ants onto his face and follow that up with hot bacon grease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena
Since your door is right by this room: If you have the time, get a really large, male, brave friend to do a stakeout of this room together with you. Be prepared with a digital camera and take the intrudor redhanded. If he/she turns out to be aggressive, step back and let the big guy do the work. If you don't have anyone like that I'll lend you by brother-in-law. He's big and brave!
My male friends are all of the skinny wimpy variety. Luckily now that there's a deadbolt on the furnace room door I don't have to worry about stakeouts! Even if they would be with a gigantic Swede.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbert
I'm actually not kidding when I say you should consider the old tar and feathers trap. I mean, if you're at home regularly you should notice it being tripped on and all you have to do is check in the building. Assuming, that is, it's someone who's just doing it cos he/she's insane and doesn't even live there. I don't remember the backstory, only read it yesterday.
There isn't really a backstory. There is an insane person living in a building next to mine, but she couldn't get into my building. She'd totally do it, too. Once she frigged with the clothesline so my clothes were stuck flapping 20 ft over the parking lot. I had to get a construction worker to help me pull the line back in. When she isn't being an ass, she sits in her window and spies on everything going on in my building. Her apartment door says "Beware of Dog" but there is no dog there, I think it's referring to her. Hmph

ANYWAY.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll let you know if I need any more mean ideas.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:59 AM   #36
Super Moderator

That's just and

Glad to hear about the lock but if it gets reported I would think she could get some insurance money (I would think they would want a police report, maybe I'm wrong).

Some people are just weird (and psychotic).
Old 08-19-2006, 11:32 AM   #37

If you're just trying to find out if someone entered the room, you could try this if it's possible:

- get a set of dice, or those toy blocks with letters on them, anything similar. More inconspicuous, the better. A set of coins with different years on them maybe.

- stack them up inside the room close to where the door swings so that when the door opens, it'll knock over the blocks or dice or whatever

- be sure to set the blocks or dice so that they spell out something you'll remember, such that when they're knocked over, the person won't know how to set them back up.

- leave the room through the window or something. Or set your blocks up on a piece of paper, and pull that paper under the closed door or something.

I'm assuming there's only one exit/entrance though. And that the door opens into the room, as opposed to outward. If it swings out, you could do something with string on the doorknob attached to a piece of paper on which your blocks are stacked inside the room.

PS. Oh wait, you already know someone's going in there.

Last edited by beat!the!champ!; 08-19-2006 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:38 AM   #38
Tactlessly understated

Either way, you know that someone is coming in there one way or another... it is the matter of catching them red-handed.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:40 AM   #39

Yeah, I just realized and edited my post with the sneaky PS.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:50 PM   #40
Super Moderator

Stoofa, did you ever figure out who was doing this?