You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Your biggest childhood misconception

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2006, 11:07 AM   #21
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

For some reason, I used to believe we were somehow related to Steffi Graf (you know, the professional Tennis player). I have no idea where I got that idea from, or why I would benefit from that. I don't think I ever tried to boast about it, maybe because even back then I wasn't entirely sure if it was right.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 08-13-2006, 12:55 PM   #22
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Sorry, but that's just weird.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-13-2006, 01:37 PM   #23
Roar?

HA. I used to think that we were related to Canadian figure skater Tracey Wainman. My mother used to go on about her so much, she even had pictures of her on the fridge, that I just assumed she was a cousin. I was highly annoyed when we went to the Ice Capades featuring Tracey and my mum said we couldn't meet her. Shortly after that I discovered that she was not a cousin and I was the laughing stock of the family for a few days, but can you really blame me?

I just remembered another one. My grandmother always told me that when the small bell rings during a certain point in Mass, it's God making that sound. That's the only reason I was willing to go to Mass, I wanted to hear God ring the bell because it made me feel really happy. Then we went to a different church and I observed an altar boy ringing the bell. I was crushed.

It's just occured to me that my grandmother is a big fat liar.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:53 PM   #24
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

My grandparents used to tell me that a mouse lived under their carpet, which I simply accepted unquestioningly as a fact, to the point that I couldn't believe it when my parents told me it wasn't true.

I used to think that plane journeys served no practical purpose - you just took off, flew around for a bit and then landed at the same airport, as part of your holiday. The fact that everything was different at the destination, and nobody made sense any more, clearly escaped me...

And the 'black market' bit has reminded me of a misconception my friend held until his early 20s - he thought a 'black comedy' was a sitcom with black people in it, like The Fresh Prince of Bel Air. It confused him when I described Catch-22 as one.

Last edited by Huz; 08-13-2006 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Sorry, but that's just weird.

Considering who you are talking to, is it any surprise?

-

Old 08-13-2006, 03:02 PM   #26
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Looney One
Considering who you are talking to, is it any surprise?
Well... no. I sometimes just feel the need to comment on the weirdness, though .

Sorry about that.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-13-2006, 05:52 PM   #27
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider Crusoe
I thought the black market was a literal market you could walk around in and by illegal things.
Hey, I forgot about that one. Same here!
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™
Old 08-31-2006, 05:16 PM   #28
Lovable rogue

I used to think that if you had, say a finger, cut off, that it would grow back again.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 08-31-2006, 06:09 PM   #29
Citizen of Bizarro World

Whenever we visited our family in Germany, I wanted to take their dog back to Serbia with us. I seemed to think that "exhaust pipe" was the name for the car trunk, so I always said, "let's stuff the dog down the exhaust pipe!" Everyone thought it was funny, but never told me why.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 09-01-2006, 03:55 AM   #30

We have these pretty, old reading glasses, that have a very nice handle:

I always thought they must have belonged to some distant relative, maybe my great-grandmother (whom I didn't know. I don't know if I have ever seen a picture of her. I know I saw a picture of my great-grandfather once). Now I learn that my mother found them in a writing desk or lectern she once bought.

There goes another childhood belief.

Still, they're very pretty.

-

Old 09-01-2006, 12:51 PM   #31
Puts the 'e' in Mark

When I was very little I always thought there was a direct causal relationship between people kissing each other and getting dandruff. It was all due to a Head & Shoulders commercial in which a girl touched a guy's hair after he'd washed it.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:59 PM   #32
fov
Rattenmonster

These are awesome stories. I wish I could think of some misconceptions as cool as these.

When I was little I had two imaginary friends who lived in our living room. I only saw them in there and I was acutely aware of the fact that they lived in that room and couldn't come out into other parts of the house. I found out years later that one of the previous owners had died of a heart attack in that room.

That has nothing to do with the topic, but I can't think of anything else right now.

EDIT: Oh! Just remembered one. First baseball game I ever went to, I was probably about five years old, the Red Sox were playing the Blue Jays and in the first inning someone hit a home run out of the park. I turned to my mother and said, "Oh well, the game's over. They lost the ball."
Old 09-01-2006, 08:58 PM   #33
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
EDIT: Oh! Just remembered one. First baseball game I ever went to, I was probably about five years old, the Red Sox were playing the Blue Jays and in the first inning someone hit a home run out of the park. I turned to my mother and said, "Oh well, the game's over. They lost the ball."
LOL!! What a great story. Five year olds say the cutest stuff.

Your imaginary friend story would be good for this thread.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:09 PM   #34
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob
I used to think that if you had, say a finger, cut off, that it would grow back again.
So, how do you manage to type all these posts, then?

*ahem*

When I was a kid my very superstitious Nanay told me that if I went to sleep with my hair still wet while the fan was blowing on me I'd wake up the next morning blind. I was scared shitless and never showered at night, only during the day.

Then she told me that if I slept with my feet sticking out from under the blanket (as I was sometimes prone to do) demons would come from the dark, grab my feet, and thrash me around the room. Considering how the wet hair thing freaked me out, imagine what this one did to me.

When I was FOB at age 7 and trying to deal with my new life in America, I watched television all day. There was this Imperial Margarine commercial that came on, the one where the wife serves her husband toast with the margarine spread over it, he takes a bite, and suddenly a beautiful crown appears on his head while trumpets sound. I begged Nanay to buy me Imperial Margarine and, though she thought I was crazy or something for wanting that particular brand, she acquiesced and got it for me. I grabbed it from her hands, opened the plastic container and spread the margarine on bread and ate it. It took me several minutes of staring at the top of my head in the mirror to realize it wasn't gonna happen. I was seriously depressed for the rest of the day.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 09-01-2006 at 09:26 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:21 PM   #35
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Those stories made me larf.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:24 PM   #36
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I begged Nanay to buy me Imperial Margarine and, though she thought I was crazy or something for wanting that particular brand, she aquiesced and got it for me. I grabbed it from her hands, opened the plastic container and spread the margarine on bread and ate it. It took me several minutes of staring at the top of my head in the mirror to realize it wasn't gonna happen. I was seriously depressed for the rest of the day.
LOL! Yeah, capitalism is a nasty bitch.

And now for something completely different... Try to imagine the look on my face when I turned my (er,.. a friend's) Barbie puppet upside down. Is there anything more creepy and surreal than realizing there isn't anything to be found beneath a skirt at all? Nightmares. Nightmares!
Old 09-01-2006, 09:31 PM   #37
merely human

That's so very similar to my Stretch Armstrong incident.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-01-2006, 09:36 PM   #38
capsized.

Indeed. I say it's time to sue toy makers for not meeting their customer's very demanding expectations (and/or even probably inflicting serious psychological harm). That I say!

Such a nightmare..*mutters* a nightmare..
Old 09-01-2006, 10:28 PM   #39
Super Moderator

When I was a kid, I remember checking Ken out....

.... and not seeing much.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:44 PM   #40
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Yeah, he either had smoothness between his legs or underwear permanently fused to that area.