You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Your biggest childhood misconception

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2006, 09:02 AM   #61
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingzjester
I never understood this whole imaginary friend thing.

Me neither. Until I watched Kubrick's "Shining" that is. Er, I did quite some talking to myself. Does that count as having an imaginary friend? Heh.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:43 AM   #62
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
I still bite my nails to this day, and my nails and surrounding tissue have been in a terrible state for almost my whole life. I learned myself to not bite nails in the presence of others but when I'm working on something and I'm really concentrating, it becomes entirely automatic and unstoppable. These days I am never ever nervous, but I still have that old bad habit.

I tried putting stuff on my nails that gives it a bitter taste but even that did not work.
Don't know if you've tried this, but this is what my hubby did in his early 20 to quit biting his nails.
He decided to just bite one nail. He stuck to it and managed since he still allowed himself to bite this one nail. After a while (we're talking a year) he could quit biting that one too.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:13 AM   #63
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Ouch, sounds like a serious nail-biting problem, there. I bite my nails, but no one can tell, unless I do it really sloppily. I'm "careful" about it.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 09-03-2006, 12:48 PM   #64
Citizen of Bizarro World

My mother used to tell me that I shouldn't bite my nails because there is bacteria that gathers beneath them, and that I would get sick. That's why I always took special care to clean up any visible dirt underneath my fingernails before I bit them off.

This habit persisted until about a year ago, when I got a job painting. Now, painting is messy work, so at the end of the day I would have a bunch of dirt and paint underneath my fingernails, that I wasn't confident I got completely out even after a shower. That's when I started cutting my nails. When I told my mom of my victory over this vile addiction, she dismissed my success and said, "well, you kinda quit for the wrong reason, because the invisible stuff is more harmful than paint..."
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 09-03-2006, 02:45 PM   #65
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzy
When I told my mom of my victory over this vile addiction, she dismissed my success and said, "well, you kinda quit for the wrong reason, because the invisible stuff is more harmful than paint..."
I guess I'm not allowed to hurt your mum for this, am I?

What people like to forget that those lovely bacteria are yummy for your white blood cells, who eagerly chew around on them as you on your fingernails and, thusly, learn how to chew around on them in a better fashion. Or, in short, it helps your immune system.

Harmful indeed.

Um, though, even I wouldn't chew around on paint, heh. I'm having issues imagining bacteria more harmful than paint... I thought paint was toxic?

Edit - btw, I am just nitpicking the reason, here. In no way do I want to condemn people for not biting their nails. *laffo*
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 09-03-2006, 03:49 PM   #66
Super Moderator

We have more bacteria in and on our body than we do of our own cells. The normal flora in our GI system and on our skin act as a barrier to more pathogenic bacteria. It's when we mess with the normal colonies we have that others are allowed to flourish.

Most people with satisfactory immune systems can handle bacteria (unless they are incredibly pathogenic).
Old 09-03-2006, 04:04 PM   #67
Roar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
We have more bacteria in and on our body than we do of our own cells. The normal flora in our GI system and on our skin act as a barrier to more pathogenic bacteria. It's when we mess with the normal colonies we have that others are allowed to flourish.

Most people with satisfactory immune systems can handle bacteria (unless they are incredibly pathogenic).
That's why I am eating a lot of yogurt with active bacterial cultures right now because I'm on an antibiotic and don't want all of my good bacteria in my GI tract to die.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:04 AM   #68
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

In America, I was always told that the musical notes were C, D, E, etc. Then we moved to Israel, and I took a keyboard class in elementary school. When the teacher tried to teach Do, Re, Mi, I went berserk. I insisted (and repeated this to everyone who'd listen) that Do, Re, Mi was just a fictional set of musical notes from the song "Doe, a Deer". Why were they using stuff from The Sound of Music instead of the real notes?
Old 09-04-2006, 11:59 PM   #69
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
Me neither. Until I watched Kubrick's "Shining" that is. Er, I did quite some talking to myself. Does that count as having an imaginary friend? Heh.
To this day, I conduct imaginary conversations in my head, albeit with real people rather than imaginary ones. Maybe it's because I'm too scared to actually talk to people about the things I really want to talk about.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:11 PM   #70
Citizen of Bizarro World

I just thought of another one.

When I was little, everyone used to call me "baby", to the point that I thought that was my actual name. When I was finally old enough for them to start calling me by my real name, I would get offended and say "My name's not Marko, it's Baby!"

Old 06-04-2007, 06:31 PM   #71
merely human

Hey Baby.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-04-2007, 07:01 PM   #72
Citizen of Bizarro World

At a certain point, of course, that reversed, and I would correct the people with the audacity to still call me "baby" by saying, "My name's not Baby, it's Marko!" Some were quite persistent at annoying me that way, however.

Last edited by Maquisard; 06-04-2007 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:05 PM   #73
merely human

Hey Marko.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-04-2007, 07:06 PM   #74

I once thought that by taking Karate I could become a super hero.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:51 PM   #75
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maquisard
I just thought of another one.
Ciao bab... Marko! I just realized that us Germons got a different opening to this, with a song far more uplifting in tone. Weird!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostPirateLeChimp
I once thought that by taking Karate I could become a super hero.

I take it you were a willing victim of fantastic 80s/90s cinema yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinks
To this day, I conduct imaginary conversations in my head, albeit with real people rather than imaginary ones.
Same! Now about childhood misconceptions: I also thought Chuck Norris could divide by zero... Hold on a sec!

Last edited by samIamsad; 06-04-2007 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:33 PM   #76
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

When I was four, I thought that Jesus was a ghostly figure, haunting our town. We lived in a rural area where the names of the towns were things like Bethlehem, Calvary, Canaan, Palmyra, Maranatha etc. Just before Easter vacation, our teacher spent the day telling us all about a man named Jesus, who came from Bethlehem. She went into great detail about how he was nailed to a cross in Calvary and how his flesh was ripped and torn and bleeding. Then she went on to say that he was buried "under a big stone"...but then when his grave was opened....it was EMPTY...so he got out somehow.
I recall being absolutely terrified, thinking this was a local man who had been murdered in a horrible fashion, and who was now walking the streets of Somerset County. I told my mother about this, and she just told me to stop being ridiculous, but didn't offer to explain anything. I had to figure it all out on my own. I guess she thought I was just born knowing about the Resurrection story.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:05 AM   #77
Kung Fu Code Poet

I never thought I'd find myself typing this, but... LOL
Old 06-05-2007, 12:06 AM   #78

Agreed, probably the best thing I've ever read on Adventure Gamers forums.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:14 AM   #79
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic View Post
I can't help but snag this topic out of context.

Anyone else out here that spent so much excessive time with their imaginary friends that they ended up in angry debates with them about philosophic questions? I mean, honestly. I'm heavily Imaginary Friend influenced in my philosophies.

I've quite often found myself in philosophic debates with myself. Or sometimes with some of my potted plants. Or with my pets.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 06-05-2007, 03:18 AM   #80
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
I used to believe the Amber Room was a secret room in our house, after I heard my sisters talking about it, and they didn't want to tell me where it was.

But who knows, maybe it's hidden up in our attic. I've never been there, so why not?

-

I've been in our attic. It was not there.

I can only say I am disappointed.

Well, I guess that's me back to searching for secret doors in our house.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!