You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat PC for AG's recommendation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2006, 05:46 AM   #1
Pure AGer

Default PC for AG's recommendation

I'm ready to ditch my outdated PC and swing for something a little more modern since most new games are requiring higher end systems. Can anyone recommend what I should look for in a PC which will be used mainly for gaming. In other words; processor, sound card, graphics card, memory, etc? I can't afford to go all out and am looking to keep the expense about mid range. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking about only purchasing the tower since all my external components (monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc) are fine. Currently I'm using Win98 2nd edition, Intel Pentium lll 800MHz processor, 128mb RAM, basic SoundMAX audio card and NVIDIA Geforce 2 graphics card.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:48 PM   #2
Bad command or file name

CPU - AMD's have been the best choice for years but Intel just released it's Core 2 Duo's and they are head and shoulders above AMD's best. The only problem is that they won't be available to consumers for a few more weeks. Also, go dual core (amd or intel) if you can afford it.

Motherboard - Make sure it supports dual channel memory. Having 2 PCIe slots will give the ability double up on your video power later. SATA ports should be standard but it always a good idea to check anyways. Also, I prefer passive chipset coolers as chipset fans spin at 4000+ RPMs and tend to omit a annoying whine.

Memory - I recommend getting a 2 gig dual channel kit. You can get by with a 1 gig kit for now and upgrade later but at a performance cost on certain games. What speed memory will depend on the processor you choose. As long as you get the latest socket type no matter if you by intel or AMD, you will need DDR2 memory. If you want to get more into it, get a nice kit from Gskill, OCZ, or Patriot for the tighest timings and best overclock results.

Video Card - This is the single most deciding factor on gaming performance in your computer. The more money you throw at it, the better games will look and run. I'll have to dig out the bang for the buck list I posted in a dif thread. Don't be fooled by how much video memory is on a card, it has very little impact on performance. The most important thing is to get the fastest GPU you can afford. At $150, the 7600gt is the minimum I recommend. If you can pony up the extra $100 for a 7900gt, you will be sitting pretty for at least a year or two to come.

Hard Drive - 250 gig drives can be had for under $100 easy now-a-days. No need to get anything smaller than that. Seagate is my HD manufacturer of choice. You'll see two different types of interfaces out there, IDE (pata) and Sata. Sata is newer, has nicer smaller cables, more future proof, and is theoretically faster. Reality is that you won't notice much speed difference.

Sound Card
- On board sound has come a long way to pretty much catch up with mid to low range sound cards. That being said, you will still get much better sound out of an Audigy 2zs or an X-fi card.

Optical Drive - Dual layer DVD burners can be found for $40. End of story.

Power Supply - The wattage is not as important as the brand. Never get a cheap no name brand. Stick with Antec, Enermax, or Seasonic if you have a choice. A trusted brand wil offer more stable voltages, will be quieter, and will save $ on the electric bill. Also, they are less likely to blow up and fry half of your computer.

Case
- This one is entirly subjective. Spending a little bit more to get a higher quality case will pay off in the end. Cheap cases are a nightmare to work in. Anything by Silverstone, Lan-Li, or Cooler Master will be well built, easy to work in, and down right sexy.

Specific recommendations coming in a few mins.

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!

Last edited by bysmitty; 07-22-2006 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:55 PM   #3
Bad command or file name

Found the vid card list. Here is the bang for the buck breakdown as I see it.

integrated = ati express x200
$150+ = nvidia 7600gt
$250+ = nvidia 7900gt (current sweetspot)
$350+ = ati x1900xt
$450+ = ati x1900xtx
$500+ = nvidia 7900gt SLI
$900+ = nvidia 7900gtx SLI

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!
Old 07-22-2006, 08:14 PM   #4
Bad command or file name

My specific hardware recommendations.

CPU - AMD 3500+ AM2 - $110
Motherboard - Biostar TForce4 AM2 - $75
Memory - GSkill F2 DDR2 pc4200 (2x1gig) dual channel - $140
Video Card - EVGA 7600gt 256mb PCIe - $160
Power Supply - (see 'case' below) - $0
Optical Drive - BenQ Dual Layer DVD Burner - $35
Soundcard - (on board) - $0
Hard Drive - 250gig Seagate Barracude 7200.10 - $95
Case - Antec Sonata II Piano Black + 450w Antec PSU - $100
OS - Windows XP home - $90
Total - $805

I'm happy to answer any more questions that you might have. Just post away.

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!

Last edited by bysmitty; 07-22-2006 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:38 AM   #5
is not wierd

Goddamn bysmitty. Just build me a computer please.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:04 AM   #6
Banned User

I disagree with the case and the video card, but other than that it looks like a good setup.

Though I would say it's a bit much to be playing adventure games on.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:29 PM   #7
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

And there I was expecting someone to have cracked a "Just get a 486; all the good games will run on that" joke...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 07-23-2006, 02:19 PM   #8
Pure AGer

Thanks Mr. Smitty.....that was more information than I could have hoped for and well appreciated. Sounds like a scream machine and at a reasonable price (so my wife says). Can a person with above average computer knowledge piece together a tower instead of ordering one already built? By the way, what's your web site address?

and......SakSquash, what would be your recommendation for a case and video card.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:30 PM   #9
Bad command or file name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak
Goddamn bysmitty. Just build me a computer please.
he he... Gladly. I do build computer for people at no charge. I just love assembling them and getting them running at top speed. I can build a computer for anyone that wants one but the problem is that there is double shipping involved. You have to order the parts and pay to have them shipped to me. After the build is done and tested, you have to pay shipping again for me to send you the finished computer. I don't know any other way around it unless someone wants to drive to Ohio to pick it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakSquash
I disagree with the case and the video card, but other than that it looks like a good setup.

Though I would say it's a bit much to be playing adventure games on.
LOL, I already know what you have against the video card Mr. ATI lover but what don't you like about the case? It is on the plain side but it is elegant, the black finish is gorgeous, quiet, good enough airflow, and a pleasure to work in. I built a server for work using that case and PSU and it has been a dream. Anyways, cases are always very subjective so the builder is free to get whatever case is desired with very little impact to performance.

Yeah, I would also agree that it would be a heavy handed compy for adventure games but it on the lower end of the spectrum for other genres. Plus, if Draino got X number of years out of a Pentium 3, chances are this rig will be in use well into the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draino1
Thanks Mr. Smitty.....that was more information than I could have hoped for and well appreciated. Sounds like a scream machine and at a reasonable price (so my wife says). Can a person with above average computer knowledge piece together a tower instead of ordering one already built? By the way, what's your web site address?
If you consider yourself having 'above average computer knowledge' then you should be good to go. Basically, the computer build is very simple. You just plug everything together. I replaced the motherboard and case for one of my computers today. It involved taking the whole rig completely apart and rebuilding it from scratch. I think the whole process took me less than an hour and a half.
After that, it is all software. Install windows, update the drivers from the CDs that came with your hardware, run all windows updates, then load up all your personal programs and games. Doing an XP install from scratch usually takes me about 3-4 hours but most of that is click and wait time.

he he, the website is www.bysmitty.com. Don't expect much though; I haven't done an update to that site in over a year. The forums are still going strong without me.

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!
Old 07-23-2006, 05:50 PM   #10
Bad command or file name

Also, if you and your wife consider the example I configured 'reasonable' and can afford to throw a few more dollars at it... Here are a few upgrade choices.

CPU - AMD AM2 3800 x2 - $160

Motherboard - Asus M2N-SLI delux - $145

Video Card - EVGA 7900gt KO 256mb - $270

Sound Card - Sound Blaster Audigy 2zs - $65

Power Supply - Antec TruePower II 550w - $90

Case - Cooler Master Cases, Silverstone Cases, Antec Cases, and Lan-Li Cases

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!

Last edited by bysmitty; 07-24-2006 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:27 AM   #11
hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by bysmitty
Also, if you and your wife consider the example I configured 'reasonable' and can afford to throw a few more dollars at it... Here are a few upgrade choices.

CPU - AMD AM2 3800 x2 - $300 (Price drop comming soon on these)

Motherboard - Asus M2N-SLI delux - $145

Video Card - EVGA 7900gt KO 256mb - $270

Sound Card - Sound Blaster Audigy 2zs - $65

Power Supply - Antec TruePower II 550w - $90

Case - Cooler Master Cases, Silverstone Cases, Antec Cases, and Lan-Li Cases

...bysmitty
Price drops have hit. amd64 CPUs are very good value for money now.
I can recommend the amd64 x2 3800. I have one that i have clocked to faster than the 4800 (2.49 Ghz) and it is completely stable.

All bysmitty's advice is on to it
Old 07-24-2006, 08:33 AM   #12
Bad command or file name

Thanks Litrick, I updated the upgrade post with new x2 pricing and link.

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!