You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Your mom's more hardcore than YOU!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2006, 06:52 PM   #1
merely human

Default Your mom's more hardcore than YOU!

Left: Diner Dash. Right: Super Mahjong Solitaire.

Your Mom Plays More Than You | Kikizo Games, 6/28/06

New study says some casual gamers are much more hardcore than we give them credit for.

Quote:
When you think of casual games, you invariably think of the office worker getting in a few games of Bejewelled or the commuter whiling away the journey with a game of Sudoku. A new study says that not only is this image wrong, it also underestimates the amount of time casual gamers are spending playing games.

"Our survey has determined that mainstream audiences dedicate a substantial amount of time to gameplay - not just in 15-minute increments as previously thought," said Macrovision's Loren Hillberg.

According to the study, carried out by Macrovision, some "casual" gamers play for two hours or more up to nine times a week and spend about 20 hours per week playing games.

What kind of person spends this amount of time playing games? According to Macromedia, which operates the Trymedia game download service, around three-quarters of its audience are women, and more than half the audience is aged between 35 and 60.

These middle-aged empty-nesters are racking up impressive numbers, and they're voting with their money. Macrovision says around a third of its audience has bought more than 20 games over the past year.

Not surprisingly, puzzle games dominate their tastes, but card and strategy games aren't far behind.

So next time you see you mom running upstairs to the computer, share a knowing wink with her. Or why not ask her to join you in a game of Grand Theft Auto? You may both be surprised.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-28-2006, 09:33 PM   #2
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

I play games more then 20 hours a week...my dad plays games and has been longer then me, but I still play more of them.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:09 PM   #3
Homer of Kittens

My mom doesn't play any games and can't even turn a PC on. Does that make me more hardcore than her?

Firefox rules
Old 06-28-2006, 11:22 PM   #4
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

My parents don't play any games on their computers at work or home.
Not even solitaire.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:54 AM   #5
Lazy Bee

Hehehe!
An article about me!
I definitely play games more than my children do. I've tried to get my son (15) to play adventure games with me, but he doesn't like the concept. He's more into FPS. And he's also more into football in real life.
My daughter only uses the computer to chat with friends.
I'm the only woman in my circle of friends that is into (adventure) gaming. One of my co-workers love the Sims games so she understands my love for gaming.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:11 PM   #6
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

My mom definitely plays more of those casual games than I play of any other game. She plays while she "watches" tv with the family. I don't know how she does it. I'd have to really try to catch up on my own gaming, and probably lose a lot of sleep in the process, too.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:39 PM   #7
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

How messed up would that be? Competing with your mother for Xbox Live Points. lol.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 06-29-2006, 06:00 PM   #8
merely human

He's chicken scared she just might p\/\/n his ass.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-29-2006, 06:23 PM   #9
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
He's chicken scared she just might p\/\/n his ass.
Who, me? There's no Xbox in my house, unfortunately, and I doubt I could convince my parents that there are games they would like to play on it (my mom, at least - my dad doesn't play any games at all, unless you count video poker).

My mom just plays casual games on her laptop, although the motherboard is fried/cracked now, so she's been playing on her work laptop (a Mac) with the only casual Mac game she has. She's also been borrowing my PocketPC, and for some reason that I can't understand, she actually started playing one of the RPG games, Legacy (a turn-based Might & Magic clone), that was installed on it. And she actually LIKED it!
Old 06-29-2006, 06:36 PM   #10
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwking4
She's also been borrowing my PocketPC, and for some reason that I can't understand, she actually started playing one of the RPG games, Legacy (a turn-based Might & Magic clone), that was installed on it. And she actually LIKED it!
You see you see?!!! She's on her way. Next thing you know she'll be asking you about the Xbox. Then one day you come home and there's a 360 right there in the living room, and HER staring at it and saying out loud to herself, "I can't wait for Halo 3, I seriously feel like kicking ass".
Old 06-29-2006, 07:10 PM   #11
DAVE

What a ruined opportunity for an insult thread.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:17 PM   #12
merely human

"Yo' mama's so hardcore....."
Old 06-30-2006, 04:57 AM   #13
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

I've been playing a lot of Minesweeper in the SLO office in my school, when I needed a break from what I was working on, or just had to pass time. I could have gone to the Library, and went on the Internet (I could have even used to fast computers, to do so), but I preferred to play Minesweeper.

It's incredibly satisfying to win a game of Minesweeper.

It's a pity Mahjong is no longer a standard part of windows. I remember that we had it in the windows folder - That's Windows 3.1, of course. Good times, good times...

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 06-30-2006, 05:54 AM   #14
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
It's a pity Mahjong is no longer a standard part of windows. I remember that we had it in the windows folder - That's Windows 3.1, of course. Good times, good times...
I think you mean Taipei...
Old 06-30-2006, 06:46 AM   #15
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

I saved that and brought it forward from each successive PC I've had. Taipei - the old version is still my favorite Mah Jongg puzzle. I love the colored tiles, and theirs are the prettiest ones.

M
Old 06-30-2006, 08:32 AM   #16
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Finally a reason to upgrade to Windows Vista - some kind of Mahjong is making a comeback as a Windows game, apparently.

I just hope they upgrade Windows Pinball too.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:42 AM   #17
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Do you know that that pinball game was made by Maxis?

Oh, and for the record- Taipei was nice, but it's not worth the price of Windows Vista.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:08 AM   #18
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

My mom plays a lot of those casual games, bejewelled, chuzzle etc.. I have to admit that she's better than me in those games.. :S

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 07-03-2006, 10:58 AM   #19
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Bejewelled owns.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives