You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat My new house!!! (56k warning)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2006, 12:39 AM   #81
Lazy Bee

Very nice house bymsitty!
I'm impressed how neat and tidy everything is. The kitchen looks as if you've never cooked in there. Wait.....perhaps you don't cook?

EDIT: I loved B.S1!

Last edited by Jelena; 09-21-2006 at 02:56 AM.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:44 AM   #82

Its a lovely house, you've made it very much a man house though. I think you've actually spoiled the beautiful living room putting the computer stuff in it.

If a woman was sharing that with you, I dont think she would have allowed it.But there's time for that yet lol.

I've noticed in most American homes the kitchen cabinet doors are always dark wood, ours have gone very light now, seems more bright and airy. Did you have a choice on the colour of the wood?

I hope you'll have many happy years living there, it must be a dream come true for you...well done you!
Old 09-21-2006, 03:35 AM   #83
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

Nice looking house Bysmitty! As mentioned, a plant or two would increase comfyness-effect in the house, and a couple of paintings or posters on the walls.

[OFF TOPIC] This reminded me I have to post the pictures from Crete I have promised, haven´t had the time though, I´m going to school, and work part itme so, but maybe I have time next week.]
Old 09-21-2006, 09:30 AM   #84
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by bysmitty
Thx for comments everyone. I can I could use some advice on how to fill the empty walls. My usual take on interior decorating is to just add more computers but I think there might be better alternatives that I'm not perusing. Would framed gaming posters be too gaudy? Oh, and I like idea on getting some plants, now I just need to figure out what kinds and where to put them.
To be quite honest with you, it needs a lot more work than merely slapping pictures on the wall. The first thing you must never do is put out all your hardware as an excuse for decorations. It's a home, not a BestBuy. That said, you can still keep all your equipment within reach via one room set aside for them.

Most of your furniture look like they've been given to you by relatives who didn't want them anymore, and overall the feeling is that of a glorified college dorm, and I know you've been out of school for quite a while now. Best way to nick this (and thus convey that you're actually proud of your new home) is to come up with a unifying colour scheme, then pattern and texture scheme. Think about it, which colour/s do you associate with comfort and relaxation? Which do you feel stimulate you to do work on your computer? Which colour would you like to wake up in the morning to? Shouldn't be hard to figure out, just reach back to your childhood and find them in the sweetest memories. Once you have, look for things within that colour scheme and ONLY within it.

As for the walls, hang whatever you want, but there must be harmony and quality. Never settle for cheap ass frames (anything laminated or plasticky), unless you want the room to look cheap. Never thumb tack the posters on the wall, remember your college days are over and if you can afford your own house you can afford to have handsomely framed art on your walls.

I'll give some more advice a bit later.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-21-2006, 01:57 PM   #85
merely human

Or vintage cruise ships or cars. Personally I love the old advertisements for spirits back in the 20s and 30s (like the ones for Pernod).

He was thinking of games posters. Imagine a beautiful System Shock 2 poster framed in darkest ebony tinted wood. Same with a Half-Life 2 poster but in pumpkin or deep vermilion painted wood frame.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-21-2006, 02:08 PM   #86
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Here's a classic: