You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Quick question about IE

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2006, 11:28 PM   #1
merely human

Default Quick question about IE

For some reason IE isn't auto-completing whatever URL address I type to go to, so I end up not getting to where I want. For example I type:

but instead of automatically putting the 'http://' with it, it leaves it out and I can't go to the site.

What do I need to do to fix this? Thanks in advance!

(oh, and please let's not turn this into a 'you really should use Firefox, Opera, etc.' thread. I'm fine with IE for now)
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-16-2006, 11:33 PM   #2
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

I would use bookmarks instead of typing all the time, even if it did finish my thoughts. I used to do what you did, but somehow mistakes happened too many times. And if I misspell it once or twice, it seems like it starts to auto-fill the wrong address instead of the one I was really trying to do. So... bookmarks.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:37 PM   #3
merely human

Erm, I'm not sure if you understood my question. AG is already bookmarked by me. I was talking about simply typing in a brand new URL. Before, IE would automatically add the 'http://' in front of the www. that I typed and it would take me to whatever site that was. Now it doesn't do it. I need to know how to fix this. Thanks.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-16-2006, 11:40 PM   #4
Psychonaut

Check the settings haven't changed.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...ocomplete.mspx
Old 04-16-2006, 11:44 PM   #5
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

I never understand things this late at night. Have you tried deleting cookies, temporary internet files, and web page history?
Old 04-17-2006, 12:15 AM   #6
Fire Dragon/Pisces

In IE6, go to:
Tools > Internet Options > Content > Autocomplete and check all boxes.

also, check whether you have disabled Protected Storage which is the underpinning of this feature - along with Security Accounts Manager. =
go to control panel > administrative tools > services and set these back to automatic and either start them or restart computer.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:14 PM   #7
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
For some reason IE isn't auto-completing whatever URL address I type to go to, so I end up not getting to where I want. For example I type:

but instead of automatically putting the 'http://' with it, it leaves it out and I can't go to the site.

What do I need to do to fix this? Thanks in advance!

(oh, and please let's not turn this into a 'you really should use Firefox, Opera, etc.' thread. I'm fine with IE for now)
Here's a solution to your problem. It's very effective click here

Firefox rules