You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Stephen King's "Cell" to be a movie

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2006, 12:47 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Stephen King's "Cell" to be a movie

As reported in Variety:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...7?cs=1&s=h&p=0

Eli Roth will direct.

I love Stephen King books but they don't always get adapted well to the big screen (Shawshank Redemption being an exception).

I haven't read the book yet either but it sounds creeeepy.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:56 PM   #2
Chris Barraclough

I think a lot of King's books have been well adapted, but there are a few crap ones too. Shining was excellent, Misery was fantastic (damn Kathy Bates is freaky in that film), Carrie was scary as shit, IT was the first film to ever give me nightmares, Shawshank and Green Mile were both done well. Salems Lot is one of my favourite vampire flicks. Even Dolores Claireborne was alright. Unfortunately you've then got arse like Christine, Thinner, Dead Zone, Langoliers, The Stand, Pet Semetary etc etc.

I heard off a mate that it's a decent book, but very open to sequels and leaves a lot unexplained.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 03-08-2006, 12:58 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Good point Seebaruk. Those are good ones but I heard somewhere that King didn't like how The Shining turned out as a film.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:08 PM   #4
Chris Barraclough

Yeah, I heard that too I think, I suppose some bits did get changed around. Ah well, even if he thinks it sucks, everyone else pretty much likes it!

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 03-08-2006, 01:39 PM   #5
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

Just suspicious about Eli Roth directing, Cabin Fever wasn´t that good..
Old 03-08-2006, 02:05 PM   #6
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
I heard somewhere that King didn't like how The Shining turned out as a film.
The Stanley Kubrick version of "The Shining" was quite different from the book, and although it has given popular culture many vivid images, it was not what Mr. King had envisioned. A second version of "The Shining" was filmed later and had Mr. King's full involvement. The second version is the movie of the book, and is probably much more satisfying to fans of the novel.
Steven King has said numerous times that "The Stand" isn't his favorite of his own works, but it does seem to be the favorite of his fans.
From the time it was released in the late 1970s, there was a great cry for it to be made into a movie, but because of it's epic length and Mr. King's sparse writing style certain omissions are inevitable. Even in mini-series format, a great deal of material had to be cut or condensed.

Share the love.

<3
Old 03-08-2006, 02:06 PM   #7
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_manelius
Just suspicious about Eli Roth directing, Cabin Fever wasn´t that good..
It was his first film though, wasn't it? Guess everyones first is a little rough around the edges. I heard Hostel was pretty tight. Haven't seen it yet though.

Old 03-08-2006, 02:13 PM   #8
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebaruk
It was his first film though, wasn't it? Guess everyones first is a little rough around the edges. I heard Hostel was pretty tight. Haven't seen it yet though.
Yes, I think it was his first movie, so I do understand it, let´s hope he´ll get better, and let´s puth some faith in him..
Old 03-08-2006, 02:42 PM   #9
Psychonaut

I finished reading it on Sunday (started it on Saturday).

I wouldn't put it as one of his better novels, but probably one of the easiest to adapt. Not a standard Zombie flick but enough action and gory bits to keep people occupied.

As for Stephen King adaptions. The best movies tend to be on his non-horror stuff.

Best
Misery
Shawshank Redemption
Green Mile
Stand By Me

Not Bad

Shining (great film- not a great adaption)
IT mini series was ok
The Stand - My fav book and a reasonable mini series of an almost impossibe adaption
Dead Zone - I like it.
Apt Pupil
Carrie

Most of the rest are junk from Lawnmower man to Children of the Corn.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:16 PM   #10
Banned User

Quote:
I think a lot of King's books have been well adapted, but there are a few crap ones too. Shining was excellent, Misery was fantastic (damn Kathy Bates is freaky in that film), Carrie was scary as shit, IT was the first film to ever give me nightmares, Shawshank and Green Mile were both done well. Salems Lot is one of my favourite vampire flicks. Even Dolores Claireborne was alright. Unfortunately you've then got arse like Christine, Thinner, Dead Zone, Langoliers, The Stand, Pet Semetary etc etc.

I heard off a mate that it's a decent book, but very open to sequels and leaves a lot unexplained.
Pet Semetary!? That was an awesome movie! Are you insane? Haven't seen dead zone, but they made a great show out of it. And what about Stand By Me? That movie rocks!
Old 03-08-2006, 04:00 PM   #11
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

The "IT" TV series was good up until the lame-ass ending. MAN was that bad.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:07 PM   #12
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:

It wasnt really a film, it was a kind of 2 part mini series

And the Dead Zone movie was awesome, not as good as the series but its definetly not arse, neither was langoliers!
Old 03-08-2006, 07:36 PM   #13
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
The Stanley Kubrick version of "The Shining" was quite different from the book, and although it has given popular culture many vivid images, it was not what Mr. King had envisioned. A second version of "The Shining" was filmed later and had Mr. King's full involvement. The second version is the movie of the book, and is probably much more satisfying to fans of the novel.
And it's boring and lacks any character of its own. Meaning that one could read the novel instead and should do so... Oh well, it's a TV movie, after all (not that all TV movies suck ). Mh, what's wrong with Dead Zone? A Cronenberg movie with Christopher Walken in it can't be bad, can it?

Never heard of "Cell".
Old 03-08-2006, 07:55 PM   #14
Super Moderator

Here you go.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:12 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

I read about this in the paper. Why are they making a movie already? The book just came out a few weeks ago!
Old 03-08-2006, 10:54 PM   #16
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

I can understand Cabin Fever not being to everyone's tastes, but I really like it. It's so rare to get what looks like a generic teen horror movie but, for instance,
Spoiler:
has no actual "killer" or "bad guy" to speak of... there's just the fever, which is nothing but a tainted water supply... the only reason things get out of control is because the main characters are all flawed self centered late-teens/early 20somethings
...it was refreshingly not cliche. That said, it had a lot of really nasty stuff in it and I guess could be slow in bits if you weren't into it.

Hostle, on the other hand, was trash.

I'm bummed to see him working on someone elses story instead of doing another original non-franchise film though. I guess this Steven King thing will be a step up from his current project , Hostle 2. Sigh.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:39 PM   #17
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Oh man I loved Cabin Fever personally. I love bloody horror films. I thought Cabin Fever was pretty darn good.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:55 AM   #18
Chris Barraclough

Man, don't know how I forgot about Stand By Me, def one of the best ones! And good ol Kiefer again.

Old 03-09-2006, 06:33 AM   #19
capsized.

I'm confused. Didn't he say he wanted to stop writing? Or at least stop publishing the stuff he's writing? (I think the moment he stops writing is when he drops dead.)
Old 03-09-2006, 06:48 AM   #20

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

Yeah, he said after "From a Buick 8" and The Dark Tower series he was going to stop writing / publishing books. So much for that.