You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2006, 12:34 AM   #1
all loved up

Default Snow!!

Woo hoo! For only the second time in the 3 years I've been here, Bangor's had a snow day. It's still really coming down. Just had to share my excitement. (I felt very sorry for a guy I saw lugging his suitcase across the snow though - not the best weather to be travelling in)
Old 03-01-2006, 12:50 AM   #2

I have this sort of love/hate relationship with snow. I like watching the snow fall through a window while sipping hot cocoa. It's fun to play in. I used to make caves in large snowdrifts, which was wonderful fun.

Also, there is the supreme joy of saving a few snowballs wrapped in plastic in the freezer, then throwing them at someone right in the middle of the summer.

However, I detest driving in the stuff. I was out last night when it suddenly began to snow, and had to drive home in the stuff, which was a thoroughly awful experience.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:23 AM   #3
Lazy Bee

Snow.... I´m honestly happy for you adventurefan!
If I could, I´ll give you all the snow we´ve had this winter. A constant cover since december. We had to buy a snow thrower to be able to deal with it. It actually came more this night, a couple of centimeters so far.
But it´s true my surroundings look a lot better covered in snow compared to a grey, faded backyard. And I do love the snow in the winter, but when it´s turning March it is supposed to melt.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:25 AM   #4
Easily amused

We've had our fair share this past month. I love the snowy days; usually the temperature is just below freezing. What I'm not so keen on is the cold snaps (- 10 or below celcius) with high pressure and bright sunny days. The sun glaring off of all the whiteness wreaks havoc with my migraines.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:15 AM   #5
Roar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpet
The sun glaring off of all the whiteness wreaks havoc with my migraines.
I'm also not a fan of sunny days because of this. People think I'm nuts when I say I prefer rainy, snowy, foggy, or cloudy days to the sun.

We are having a weird winter here in NS. Right now there's no snow on the ground and it's frigid cold. It's never cold in March! Before this we had rainstorms instead of snowstorms since November. We've only had one snow day since winter started.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:15 AM   #6
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

It's snowing here in Swansea too. It's been snowing in various places in the UK over the last couple of days too, I think.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:33 AM   #7
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

We've had a bit of that strange can't-decide-whether-it's-snow-or-rain weather, but nothing has settled. I should have gone to university up north ...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 03-01-2006, 09:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
We've had a bit of that strange can't-decide-whether-it's-snow-or-rain weather, but nothing has settled. I should have gone to university up north ...
We've had thesame here today, first it snowed and the whole city was awesomely white, then an hour later the rain washed it all away Since it doesn't snow here a lot, I love it when it does, it's just so damn atmospheric!
Old 03-01-2006, 09:38 AM   #9
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

We had some snow! Very little settled, and it only lasted about three quarters of an hour, but there's now a tiny layer of white on some of the trees and grass. If I'm lucky it will snow again later, but I doubt it ...

Old 03-01-2006, 10:07 AM   #10
all loved up

Most of the snow from today has gone, but there's still hope for snow later. They always seem very slow with the upkeep in Bangor, since it had been reported before the snow that snowfalls were likely, but no one at the uni touched the roads until this morning, by which time anyone trying to get places was struggling alot. My legs ache, I walked pretty much all the way across Bangor to the pier and back, with plenty of snowball fights etc along the way. We saw someone who had the ingenious idea of making a pirate snowman - it was very cool!
Old 03-01-2006, 01:03 PM   #11
Lovable rogue

I got caught in a frickin' blizzard in the middle of Oxford, it wasn't pleasant. At one point it was like standing in a snowglobe, I couldn't even see where I was going.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 03-01-2006, 01:22 PM   #12
How am I not myself?

I envy all of you Northern hemisphere dwellers. But I will be heading your way soon mwahaha, very soon mwahahaha.

Muffled laughter fades...
Old 03-01-2006, 01:40 PM   #13
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Epic
I envy all of you Northern hemisphere dwellers.
Let me tell you, I envy you who lives downunder. So much sun and -from what I´ve heard- a somewhat relaxed lifestyle.
Todays snowing ended with 10 cm of snow. It took 20 min to wipe off the car in order to get into it.....
Old 03-01-2006, 01:43 PM   #14

The sign that made me realize that I am getting old is when I realized that I started hating snow. Snowy pictures are romantic but having to drive on it isn't. I have had two nasty spun outs so far while driving on snowy roads. I haven't gotten hurt yet but the first time, I hit the guard rail and ended up putting a big dent on my father's van.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:16 PM   #15
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob
I got caught in a frickin' blizzard in the middle of Oxford, it wasn't pleasant. At one point it was like standing in a snowglobe, I couldn't even see where I was going.
Please tell me you didn't say Oxford. I can't cope with the thought that you're in the same city as me .

Old 03-01-2006, 02:58 PM   #16
Lovable rogue

I'm hurt

But anyway it's past-tense, I was only there for the day.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 03-01-2006, 11:38 PM   #17
all loved up

Oh my goodness... It's snowed again, though not as heavily as last night... I can't believe it... (probably not enough to cancel my seminar, but it'll make walking to it alot easier!)
Old 03-02-2006, 02:46 AM   #18
Lazy Bee

It never ends. This picture was taken just 10 minutes ago. It´s from our backyard.
Name:  3 mars.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  50.0 KB
Old 03-02-2006, 04:44 AM   #19
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Most of the snow here has melted now; there was only a little to begin with, but it's still cold enough for some not to have melted. We're apparently due for more, but I'm not holding my breath.

Old 03-03-2006, 09:10 AM   #20
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Wooo, it's snowing here! Really heavily! I can't actually see out of my window to figure out how much is on the ground since it's covered with snow, and it's bloody freezing so I'm not going out there, but - woo!

I love snow, but I'm not sure why! I think it's a national thing. It snowed a tiny bit on Wednesday and people were trying to make miniature snowmen out of the 1mm dusting of snow on teh ground. That's how much we love snow.

There's always something hilarious about dogs looking sorry for themselves in the snow, although yours looks happy enough, Lena. I have some great pics of my nan's dog looking comedy-miserable while trying to shake the snow off its back, though!