You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King (A mini review)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2003, 05:13 AM   #1
Part time writer for hire

Send a message via AIM to redhotray Send a message via MSN to redhotray Send a message via Yahoo to redhotray
Default The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King (A mini review)

I was one of the fortunate few to get a ticket to see the movie today, as a lot of places have sold out for another week at least, and I must tell you, it is quite simply, the most breathtaking experience I've ever felt through watching moving pictures.

My blood was pumping in preparation for what was about to happen next, I don't think my heart stopped jumping all the way through the movie. It was an absolute epic, and truthfully, I think we've been witness to that epic movie you will only ever come across once in a lifetime.

I'm sure the die hard purists who've read the book, cover to cover a thousand times, will tell you that it's all out of proportion, it was approached from the wrong angle, and basically, they will pick it to pieces. However, what Peter Jackman, the cast, the crew, everyone associated acheived with these films, was bring to life one of the greatest stories ever told, and tell it in a way that can touch you on so many different levels.

I advise you to see this film in the cinema, the sound effects, and the atmosphere cannot be described so freely into words. I'm not even ashamed to admit, I had to dry my eyes several times. It's a very touching film...

I cannot wait for the extended DVD of this film, there will be so many added scenes, the film will easily surpass the four hour mark! I'm even going to make an effort to see this a second time in the cinema which I rarely do!

Do yourselves all a favor, watch this over the festive period, and if you've yet to see the others, watch them! . This is unlike any kind of journey you will ever see in modern day cinema, relish it!

Without doubt, one of my favorite films of all time...
Old 12-17-2003, 05:17 AM   #2
Part time writer for hire

Send a message via AIM to redhotray Send a message via MSN to redhotray Send a message via Yahoo to redhotray

And at the risk of sounding cliche,

If you thought Helms Deep was good...

...Minas Tirith will blow you away!

Case rested
Old 12-17-2003, 06:18 AM   #3
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

At the risk of sounding even more cliché..

Wrong place to post this at.

Anyways, yeah, I'm really looking forward to seeing this god-damned movie. And I hope the Extended version is packed with extra scenes. I plan to watch the first two extended before going to the cinema to see Return Of The King, so I won't bee seeing it until like the 28th or 29th, or so.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:05 AM   #4
Headbanger

I bet no one was as cool as I was. I had tickets for the first show but I was home sleeping. 8-) I did book some tickets as soon as I woke up and I saw it today instead.

This movie was of course as mindblowing, cool and HUGE as they come. But it also had all strong emotions coming right in your face in the end from the characters that had been through hell through all three movies. In the extended version I bet we will see the misery of the characters that took place in the huge battles as well. But the movie is already a masterpiece in the shape it is in now. The trilogy is together one of the best movies ever.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:12 AM   #5
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

There's a couple of characters I really missed that'll hopefully be really cool in Extended, namely Saruman and the Voice of Sauron.

I agree though, the movie was amazing, and I won't even bother complaining about the two big things they should have done different... It serves no purpose since this movie is so extremely good anyway.

And Gimli ruled!
Old 12-17-2003, 10:09 AM   #6
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Regarding Gimli: I totally agree in that this was the first movie in which he was actually treated with some of the respect he deserves. No idiotic "burping farting falling over Dwarf" here. Honestly, I was really happy about that.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 12-17-2003, 10:16 AM   #7
Liver of Life

Spoiler:
Frodo of the nine fingers!

Seeing this Saturday
Old 12-17-2003, 10:25 AM   #8
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
Regarding Gimli: I totally agree in that this was the first movie in which he was actually treated with some of the respect he deserves. No idiotic "burping farting falling over Dwarf" here. Honestly, I was really happy about that.
The thing I was happy about was regarding Legolas: NO MORE SKATEBOARDING!
Old 12-17-2003, 10:44 AM   #9
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Ahem. I believe you forgot
Spoiler:
oliphant trunk surfing

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 12-17-2003, 11:05 AM   #10
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
Ahem. I believe you forgot
Spoiler:
oliphant trunk surfing
It wasn't even half as bad as the "use shield as skateboard" thing in The Two Towers.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:19 AM   #11
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
Yeah! He was still funny, but in a much cooler way.

*Legolas kills an Oliphaunt*

Gimli: "Well, that still just counts as one!"
Old 12-17-2003, 11:53 AM   #12
soffistical

Just got home from watching it. Totally wrung out, it was really something extraordinary. Really. Overall feeling, this was definately Sam's movie. Hands down.

A couple of fun details, the orch that led the attach on Minas Tirith looked exactly like Lard from the Goonies, the one the guy that plays Sam starred in as a kid. And Peter Jackson managed to use a couple of kids for the third time in the trilogy, they've been in every one of them, hahahaha! Love details like that! They were scared kids in the first one when Bilbo was telling stories, scared kids in the cave of Helms Deep, and now scared kids at the side of the street as the Faramir rode out to face the enemy. LOL! Can't believe I noticed it amongst all the things that happened...

Think I'll pass out now...
Old 12-17-2003, 12:15 PM   #13
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Those are his kids, that's why he puts them in every movie Whatever, though. He's entitled to that...
Old 12-17-2003, 12:18 PM   #14
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma
A couple of fun details, the orch that led the attach on Minas Tirith looked exactly like Lard from the Goonies, the one the guy that plays Sam starred in as a kid. And Peter Jackson managed to use a couple of kids for the third time in the trilogy, they've been in every one of them, hahahaha! Love details like that! They were scared kids in the first one when Bilbo was telling stories, scared kids in the cave of Helms Deep, and now scared kids at the side of the street as the Faramir rode out to face the enemy. LOL! Can't believe I noticed it amongst all the things that happened...
I can't believe you were that bored when you watched that magnificent movie. :eek:
Old 12-17-2003, 12:27 PM   #15
Prove it all night

Send a message via MSN to James

A vial of pure perfection. Tolkien is for me the greatest journey. Vis a vis my previous thread of my own journey, it has always been based on the ideals and spirit of this great tale and fable. These films represent personally this generation's Star Wars, the defining mass cultural event of a generation. They have everything, due to modern applicability. When I dream, I can only hope my dreams are as vivid, as pure and true as those herein. I'll see it at least thrice, if not a dozen times before it closes.
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." - Thomas Edward Lawrence
Old 12-17-2003, 12:44 PM   #16
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
A vial of pure perfection. Tolkien is for me the greatest journey. Vis a vis my previous thread of my own journey, it has always been based on the ideals and spirit of this great tale and fable. These films represent personally this generation's Star Wars, the defining mass cultural event of a generation. They have everything, due to modern applicability. When I dream, I can only hope my dreams are as vivid, as pure and true as those herein. I'll see it at least thrice, if not a dozen times before it closes.
Have you figured out every part that Tolkien took from Celtic mythology yet?
Old 12-17-2003, 01:42 PM   #17
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
These films represent personally this generation's Star Wars, the defining mass cultural event of a generation.
Well, as a member of your generation, I'm not sure I'd go that far...

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 12-17-2003, 02:54 PM   #18
Liver of Life

StarWars is gravy. Especially the ending of VI.

LotR is gravy too.

Both are relatively simple good vs evil stories. But there's something about them that make them better than your average good vs evil, and no, it's not the visuals...

Maybe it's because we find reason to and learn to love the characters.
Old 12-17-2003, 03:08 PM   #19
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

I bought The Hobbit in English today. I don't have the English version, but The Hobbit in Serbian is one of the first books I ever read, causing Tolkien to become my favorite writer until I discovered Shakespeare some seven years later... I was actually looking to buy the three 'serious' books, but the used bookstore had a couple of Two Towers and a couple of Fellowships of the Ring, but they didn't have a single Return of the King, so lest I have a set lacking one book, I, like I said, bought The Hobbit.

I would really like to read the Lord of the Rings in English. The Serbian version had a bizarre habit of translating some of the names of places and people, but not others... for a long while, until I saw the first two movies in the series, I figured that Boromir's name was translated but Firamir's wasn't because it wouldn't roll off your tongue right in Serbian. 'Bor' means 'pine' (as in the prickly, evergreen plant that grows in cold climates), but 'fir' is 'jelka' which in addition to making the name ('Jelkamir') awkward to pronounce, would make it an odd blend of a feminine noun and a male name suffix (some Slavic names have a custom in ending in 'mir')... Tolkien was a linguist. The names of two brothers are probably an intentional cross-lingual pun.
Old 12-17-2003, 03:22 PM   #20
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kode
But there's something about them that make them better than your average good vs evil, and no, it's not the visuals...
Both are grand epics about the empowerment of the meek set in fabulous, exotic worlds. It is THE formula for a hit narrative aimed at geeks.