You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Return of the Kick-ass

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2003, 11:36 PM   #1
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos
Default Return of the Kick-ass

I saw all thre movies in succession last night - it was amazing. Return of the King is the best of all three. An almost perfect experience, which pulls all the stops, from the first minute until the end. I'd write a lot more, but it got kinda late last night............
Old 12-17-2003, 12:59 AM   #2
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

ROTK was great stuff, but Fellowship still takes the cake for me, hands down.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 12-17-2003, 02:02 AM   #3
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Yeah, not as good as Fellowship, but still good. I am so glad that the movie didn't let me down.

The editor of Return of the King should be paid a hefty sum to go back and completely re-cut Two Towers.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 12-17-2003, 02:21 AM   #4
rare groove

Send a message via ICQ to Pappapisshu

I'm really excited about ROTK actually, which I haven't been 'bout the other two. Still, Fellowship of the Ring has grown on me, and it's definitely my favourite of the first two movies.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:07 AM   #5
Headbanger

Am I the only one who sees the trilogy as one movie?
Old 12-17-2003, 09:08 AM   #6
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

After seeing them in succession I definetly agree with you, Henke. And ROTK is the third act, which means its the most intense, exciting, and satisfying part of the whole movie.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:07 AM   #7
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke
Am I the only one who sees the trilogy as one movie?

No, of course not, but that doesn't mean I don't think there were differences in quality between the different parts. After all, it's perfectly reasonable to say "I thought the beginning of the film was excellent, but didn't hold up as much towards the middle. The ending redeemed it, though." I still on the whole the adaptation was great, but that doesn't mean I thought each individual movie (or PART of the movie, or whatever) was constructed as well.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 12-17-2003, 10:08 AM   #8
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
No, of course not, but that doesn't mean I don't think there were differences in quality between the different parts. After all, it's perfectly reasonable to say "I thought the beginning of the film was excellent, but didn't hold up as much towards the middle. The ending redeemed it, though." I still on the whole the adaptation was great, but that doesn't mean I thought each individual movie (or PART of the movie, or whatever) was constructed as well.
Just cheking.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:39 AM   #9
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

They're of course all the same story, but they were edited by different editors, all porobably under different surrounding circumstances, and you can definitely tell. The pacing of the story, the way they handle the transitions from one character's story to another, and the amount of thought put into things like the mini-montages and inset shots (for an excellent example of this see the scene in Fellowship in the prancing pony bedroom where Aragorn is telling the hobbits about the ringwraiths, where it cuts to two or three shots of the wraiths out on watch that have nothing to do with the immediate scene but are excellent editorial details) are all just handled better in Fellowship and Return of the King than in TTT. Two Towers, even the extended edition, just seems to be badly put together in comparison to that first one and the other one. But it's still a good movie, all things considered.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens