You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2006, 08:01 AM   #1
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig
Default Mac is back!

Indeed, Mr. MacGyver returned yesterday on the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl game.

http://priceless.com/film/worldpremiere.html

It really seems like SG-1 was the thing that kept RDA young. He looks really different in this video.
But the most important thing is that Mac is back! Even if it only was for 30 seconds!

Here's some other Super Bowl ads from yesterday:
http://video.google.com/superbowl.html
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:28 AM   #2
Citizen of Bizarro World

I like RDA from SG1, so it was cool seeing him again. On another note, Seattle was robbed!
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 02-06-2006, 09:52 AM   #3
Aj_
Beyond Belief

He has changed a lot. In the last season he was on SG-1, they were using a bucket of makeup on the guy. He has lost his voice like all of us do. RDA is a legend, it's great to see MacGyver again. Pitty he didn't grow a mullet.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:08 AM   #4
Translate Me

Oh man, I knew I should've watched the SuperBowl.

Glad to see the Mac's still got it, even after all these years.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:12 AM   #5
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

I thought this thread was about a new Mac system coming soon or something. lol.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives

Last edited by Dasilva; 02-06-2006 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:25 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Old 02-06-2006, 12:50 PM   #7
Mostly absent

I saw this ad a few days ago when GateWorld had a news article about it. Quite funny and it was interesting to hear the interview with Rick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
It really seems like SG-1 was the thing that kept RDA young. He looks really different in this video.
I think the reason why Rick actually looks older in this commercial than otherwise is because they dyed his hair. It just doesn't look natural without the grey parts and makes him seem older than he really is. He just turned 56 btw (the RDAnderson.com site is great if you want to keep up with what Rick is doing these Stargate-less days). I'm quite sure that his daughter, Wylie, is taking care of keeping him young (maybe not in body, but at least in heart). He's in great shape for his age anyway.

SG-1 is really suffering from the lack of Rick's both subtle and not so subtle humour and the remarkable acting skills that he provided during all those years. Ben Browder is an okay actor, but honestly he doesn't even come close to be able to fill the spot that Rick left empty. As it is now all the actors on SG-1 seem less interesting and the chemistry that used to be there in many ways disappeared with Rick. That's just the testament to how great an actor and person Rick is. With his presence he made all the other shine. Atlantis is actually the better show of the two atm in my honest opinion.

Don't get me wrong, SG-1 is still a good show, but just not as good as it used to be. I have quite high hopes for the tenth season though, because it seems…
Spoiler:
…the Ori will have a bigger role and of course the return of Claudia Black (playing Vala Mal Doran) I think will spice up the series. The tightening relationship between SG-1 and Atlantis when the threat of the Ori becomes more evident will likely bring some interesting episodes. The producers have also hinted that "Daniel will finally make his long-desired trip to the lost city of Atlantis, though it is not yet confirmed whether this will occur in an SG-1 episode or an Atlantis episode". An interesting thing to note is that Daniel will only appear in 16 out of 20 episodes in season 10 making possible what the producers are calling "a potentially very controversial Daniel arc".

Lots of interesting things ahead in other words...
Old 02-06-2006, 01:54 PM   #8
The Reggienator

Last Friday, me and my friends just started watching SG-1 season 8 and SG-1: Atlantis season 1 simultaneously.

First an episode from SG-1, then one from Atlantis.

Atlantis feels a bit meh, it's not even close to the real series, kind of what I expected.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:45 PM   #9
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
Last Friday, me and my friends just started watching SG-1 season 8 and SG-1: Atlantis season 1 simultaneously.

First an episode from SG-1, then one from Atlantis.

Atlantis feels a bit meh, it's not even close to the real series, kind of what I expected.
Atlantis gets better, just give it time. Stargate wasn't so awesome in the beginning either you know, it took a few episodes to get to... I'm not gonna say "where it is now" because IMHO the show was at its peak around season six and seven. I fact a part of me feels like maybe the show should have ended with the awesome two-part Lost City episode at the end of season seven.
But of course then we would never have got to experience the Ori (which I'm guessing you don't know anything about yet, Kolzig? They will enter the picture in the beginning of season nine and are quite honestly the best villains the Stargate universe has ever produced!) and SG-1 wouldn't have become the longest running sci-fi series ever: a title it without a doubt deserves.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:59 PM   #10
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I've never understood the appeal of Stargate SG-1, but maybe I should watch a few more episodes of it. It struck me as a kind of half-baked Star Trek clone with some cardboard cut-out characters, but you could probably say the same about Firefly if you only saw half an episode or something. I'll watch it again sometime when I get home, if only to see what I'm missing .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 02-06-2006, 04:00 PM   #11
Banned User

Damn he looks old.

Speaking of Firefly, I bought the set, just as promised.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:03 PM   #12
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
Speaking of Firefly, I bought the set, just as promised.
Yay! I lent my brother my discs, but he's unlikely to buy his own copy given that we're both at the same uni and spend the other half of the year in the same house .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 02-06-2006, 04:05 PM   #13
Banned User

It's a pretty sweet package. I like the box art and everything. Anyway, the real reason I bought it was because I hope that the more people buy it, the more they may be tempted to bring it back. Ya never know.

Now my friend is trying to get me to watch Battlestar Galawatever. Don't think i'll like that one as much.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:10 PM   #14
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
I've never understood the appeal of Stargate SG-1, but maybe I should watch a few more episodes of it. It struck me as a kind of half-baked Star Trek clone with some cardboard cut-out characters, but you could probably say the same about Firefly if you only saw half an episode or something. I'll watch it again sometime when I get home, if only to see what I'm missing .
It's not very good if you only see a few episodes. As with I guess all sci-fi shows you don't get it without watching a season or two. Start from season one and onwards and if it isn't your cup of tea then that's fine, but people who mock it after only seeing a couple of episodes don't really score any points in my book (not that I'm saying that you are one of those people though ). To me what really makes the show as great as it is is mainly the great actors, especially the chemistry between them and the humour. SG-1 pokes fun with pretty much every sci-fi show ever made and actually today's society as a whole as well. It's been a very long time since I saw season one of SG-1, but I remember it becoming better for every season.
They at least must be doing something right when they are already at the tenth season.

Although I can't say I have watched Star Trek very much I never liked what I saw. Seemed to take itself to seriously for me to like it, but maybe I'm just being like those persons that I criticized above. Firefly I have never watched so can't comment on that.
Quote:
Now my friend is trying to get me to watch Battlestar Galawatever. Don't think i'll like that one as much.
I have only seen three out of four episodes of the Battlestar Galactica mini-series so far and it seems decent. Will watch more of it before I'll decide if it is worth watching or not, but so far it doesn't stand a chance to SG-1 and Atlantis in my book. BG seems to serious for my taste as well.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:20 AM   #15
The Reggienator

@Mattsius: Yeah, I don't know anything about the Ori yet.

Quote:
I think you might like it, Olmos is awesome.

BSG is a very good sci-fi show, a lot better than the original.