You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat A Brief History Of Time

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2006, 09:12 PM   #1

Default A Brief History Of Time

I'm currently finishing "Black Holes, Wormholes & Time Machines" by Jim Al-Khalili, and I'm wondering whether this would be a good follow up. Has anyone here read this? Is it even comprehensible to laymen such as myself? Al-Khalili's book is awesome and very easy to understand (most people here might just as well skip the first 100 pages), but I've heard only a small percentage of people understand A Brief History Of Time. Sounds like a challenge to me
Old 01-25-2006, 09:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
Is it even comprehensible to laymen such as myself?
I've heard that the book was intended for the layman.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider Crusoe
I've heard that the book was intended for the layman.
Great, that should work then I can still hardly get my head around four dimensional spacetime, bugs the hell out of me
Old 01-25-2006, 09:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Great, that should work then I can still hardly get my head around four dimensional spacetime, bugs the hell out of me
There's nothing to it. Think about how you move around in three dimensions right now. Now think about moving through time in the same way.

If that's still confusing, I'll send you a free pass to the 4th dimension field trips. Your guide should be able to fill you in.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:59 PM   #5
fov
Rattenmonster

A friend of mine was obsessed with this book in high school. She certainly wasn't a genius, so if she could understand it at age 15, I'm sure you'll be fine.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:02 PM   #6
Translate Me

I believe he also came out with a revised version not too long ago, which is supposed to be even more accessible to the layman, with all sorts of nifty illustrations. Ah, here it is:

The Illustrated Brief History of Time, Updated and Expanded Edition
Old 01-25-2006, 11:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by doroposo
I believe he also came out with a revised version not too long ago, which is supposed to be even more accessible to the layman, with all sorts of nifty illustrations.
I hope it has a page that says "Big Bang goes boom!" with a popup explosion.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:27 PM   #8
Translate Me

Quote:
I hope it has a page that says "Big Bang goes boom!" with a popup explosion.
I think they're saving the popups for the next edition. They should also add those nifty sound effect buttons like they put on kids' books these days. Imagine hearing the boom of the bang!
Old 01-26-2006, 02:02 AM   #9
A Servicable Villain

I've got a little pocket called 'Hawking for Beginners' and ever since that I've been wanting to read this book. The illustrated version sounds even better!
Old 01-26-2006, 02:39 AM   #10

I'm so going to buy this book (the expanded edition no less) Thanks! I do understand spacetime, but I still can't quite comprehed it (to coin a phrase of the Dutch clown Bassie ) , if you catch my drift. The weirdest thing I've come across so far is part of the M-theory, which theorizes that the universe was unstable up until the Big Bang, after which six or seven dimensions curled up into an infinitely tiny 'ball', leaving our three dimensions plus one of time

I think Hawking is going to blow my mind into even tinier pieces, yeah, I'm a geek, I know
Old 01-26-2006, 03:40 AM   #11
Life and times of...

I have it, though I haven't finished it... I also have its follow-up The Universe in a Nutshell, but I haven't read it yet. I think it should be even more understandable.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:17 AM   #12
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

I have both the Illustrated Brief History of Time and the Universe in a Nutshell - they're both definitely accessible and very, very understandable, but they also try to be, so if you're looking for the real depth of theory and mindbogglingness, as much as I love those books, they're kind of thin But by all means, go get them. Lovely things.

For fairness' sakes, I should note that I stay far away from anything more eloquent myself. Well, bar for wikipedia, where I like getting my mind imploded on, though that always depends on the quality of an article, which isn't guaranteed, but, I digress...
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 01-26-2006, 07:47 AM   #13

Quote:
I do understand spacetime, but I still can't quite comprehed it (to coin a phrase of the Dutch clown Bassie ) , if you catch my drift.
There's one way to fix that. Here, take a toke.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:30 PM   #14
Thats the ticket

I have read (and loved) all of Mr Hawkings books.

The Universe in a nutshell is a permanent fixture in my toilet magazine rack next to my cherished Viz and Preacher comics
Old 01-26-2006, 07:19 PM   #15

Quote:
There's one way to fix that. Here, take a toke.
I really shouldn't, I've got a short film to shoot next week.. I.. I..

*submits to peer pressure
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivasawadee
I have read (and loved) all of Mr Hawkings books.

The Universe in a nutshell is a permanent fixture in my toilet magazine rack next to my cherished Viz and Preacher comics
Now I'll have to buy and read all his books Just finished Black Holes, Wormholes & Time Machines, excellent stuff, now I'm off to collapse a neutron star, travel back in time, educate my younger self and win the Nobel prize for physics at age 13