You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Starbucks Cinnamon Dolce Latte

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2006, 08:46 PM   #21
Banned User

You're nuts. Ever have one of those vanilla bean frapperwhatevers? It's like a vanilla milkshake on steroids. Lovely.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:52 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
You're nuts. Ever have one of those vanilla bean frapperwhatevers? It's like a vanilla milkshake on steroids. Lovely.
Makes me wonder if actual plain coffee will still exist in a couple of hundred years, probably not
Old 01-25-2006, 08:56 PM   #23
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Ever have one of those vanilla bean frapperwhatevers? It's like a vanilla milkshake on steroids.
Those vanilla bean things don't even have caffeine in them, do they?

Definitely yummy, but seems a waste of calories if you're not also getting a kick.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:57 PM   #24
Banned User

Who needs a kick when you can just have saxe?
Old 01-25-2006, 10:03 PM   #25
Live Slow Die Old

Starbucks is the devil.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:08 AM   #26
Friendly Server Admin

Man... if I weren't out of coffee I'd go make some right now. It's starting to sound good.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:43 AM   #27
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

The moral of fov's story: never take your parents into a video games store.

Mind you, the kid sounds like a spoiled brat.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-26-2006, 08:06 AM   #28
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Mind you, the kid sounds like a spoiled brat.
That's what I thought. The epitome of spoiled brat.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:33 AM   #29
Schoolgirl From Hell

Oh boy, if that was my kid...

"Or is it I who has penetrated you?"
Old 01-27-2006, 01:25 PM   #30
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

Starbucks is the devil.

As a former barista and the bearer of the sacred arcane knowledge of pulling espresso shots from a real espresso machine, I really hate Starbucks -- with their espresso robots that dispense identical shots of black goodness with but a press of a button. There is no craft inherent in Starbucks coffee-smithing...

And hell, they always made more in tips than I did -- and I made more than practically anyone working at that particular coffeehouse.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:57 PM   #31
Roar?

We don't have too many Starbuckseses here, but we do have lots of a coffee place called Second Cup. Anyway, they have the most amazing GINGERBREAD lattes. Swoon. I buy one for myself on Fridays as a treat.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:59 AM   #32
Fire Dragon/Pisces

"I like my coffee hot and strong."
"...just like my mother did it."
(Jason Robards, Once Upon A Time In The West)

I never even heard about these fancy stuff...
my best bet is to get a sack of original brazilian, grind it down by hand and make a strong coffee. Then comes the "latte" stuff from the dairy of my cousin, plus the smuggled moonshined booze (whiskey or rum) from the English mates and the kicks are assured. I usually make it 1to1 (booze-coffee) and leave out the caramel, cinnamon and the rest
Sad thing is that I can't get REAL fresh top qual brazilian - only every once in a while, when an old friend who married a Brazilian gal pays me a visit.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:47 PM   #33
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingzjester
Starbucks is the devil.
Who isn't these days? If it's not Starbucks it's Bill Gates...or Ubisoft, or Enron, or FEMA (understandably), or the Danes...

Quote:
As a former barista and the bearer of the sacred arcane knowledge of pulling espresso shots from a real espresso machine, I really hate Starbucks -- with their espresso robots that dispense identical shots of black goodness with but a press of a button. There is no craft inherent in Starbucks coffee-smithing...
As a former/current retail and customer service professional bearing the sacred arcane knowledge of being as truly courteous to every single customer [who helped pay my rent] as possible, I'll ask you this. As a former/current retail and customer service professional, would you be able to surmount this romanticized 'hipper-thereby-holier-than-thou' bohemian barista attitude and see Starbucks for what they realistically are? They are the McDonald's of the coffee world. They are a fast food chain, and we've always known fast food to be anything but 'gourmet' quality. Thus do you honestly expect any kind of 'hand made' crafted 'coffee-smithing' from behind their counter when they have 25 people in line at 7.30am on a Monday morning waiting for their identical shots of black goodness when they need to make their 7.38am train?

I dunno about you, but I go to Starbucks not when I want to, but when I have to. Which happens to be rarely these days.

Quote:
And hell, they always made more in tips than I did -- and I made more than practically anyone working at that particular coffeehouse.
Don't you ever honestly smile at your customers? Kind words will get more quarters thrown in that clear plastic box. I've never actually worked behind a food and beverage counter, but I have had customers offer me tips of a couple dollars or more in the past, and that was when I worked in gift shops, where tipping is customarily never expected.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-06-2006, 06:22 PM   #34
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

I don't think their coffee is inferior, just that there is no craft inherent in brewing it. And while they are the fast food of the coffee world, they at least take care of their employees, which isn't the case with many an other fast food corporation. As for dealing with customers, I always liked the coffee people more than your average evil, pissed retail customer. Over at where I used to work there was a lot of medical students that would come and study for hours on end. Very few in & out coffee-on-the-run people.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:58 PM   #35
merely human

I seriously wouldn't mind working at Starbucks. In fact I'd like to apply to the local branch once I'm moved to South Pasadena (it's about 4-5 blocks away) if they're looking to hire. So far I hadn't received any rude or indifferent treatment from the staff of any of the branches I've gone to.

But as far as craft, of course there's not much craft inherent in brewing it. It's often a very, very busy place, I don't expect it to be set up to be incredibly precise. Also I theorize that most of the staff there are not looking to make a lifetime career out of it; they're mostly students or those looking for a little extra income. I'd think that, unless you're passionately intent on being a true barista and making what, $50,000 a year off it, craft isn't exactly on the top of your list. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to sell your customer as good a cup of coffee as possible for what Starbucks is charging them.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-06-2006, 07:11 PM   #36
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I seriously wouldn't mind working at Starbucks. In fact I'd like to apply to the local branch once I'm moved to South Pasadena (it's about 4-5 blocks away) if they're looking to hire. So far I hadn't received any rude or indifferent treatment from the staff of any of the branches I've gone to.
Starbucks was rated as one of the top 100 companies to work for in the US.

Firefox rules
Old 02-06-2006, 07:40 PM   #37
merely human

My best friend/niece could've told you that. She managed a Starbucks in her hometown of San Rafael.