You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Your Favourite Eighties Flicks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2006, 02:31 AM   #41
gin soaked boy

I actually prefer the theatrical version, but I'm waiting anxiously for the true director's cut.

There's a great bit of information about everything Blade Runner, including the games, on brmovie.com.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:10 AM   #42
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Hmm. I know that the director wanted to have edited things differently, but I got the impression from the stuff I've read on the matter that he wanted to have *less* explanation for the plot, not more. I ordinarily like subtlety and room for personal interpretation in plots, but I think Blade Runner could use a bit of "hand-holding", as it were.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 01-22-2006, 08:55 AM   #43
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Ive seen the Directors cut ending and it kinda sucked, It didnt really make any sense and was a little bit pointless aswell.
Also allot of the scenes were redubbed so you would hear harrison fords voice while someone else was moving their mouth.
And you never really found out anything about deckard, he was supposed to be this great blade runner that was so good they had to bring him out of retirement but you dont see any evidence of that, and you dont find out why he was retired in the first place(I assume it was early retirement since he doesnt look old enough to be retired)
Old 01-22-2006, 09:34 AM   #44
Fire Dragon/Pisces

Read the novels in the first place,
starting by "Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep?" by Dick.

There is still place for arguments after reading all concerning books,
especially Blade Runner 2. They don't clarify (rather mistify) on this point.
The majority of hardcore BR fans say Deckard is an android. ->

"IT'S TOO BAD SHE WON'T LIVE...
BUT THEN AGAIN, WHO DOES...?"
(Ford nods)

+Deckard's dream of a unicorn
Old 01-22-2006, 10:02 AM   #45
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Blade Runner 2?

Interesting fact is that Philip K. Dick died before the movie had it's premiere in 1982.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:34 PM   #46
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Can anyone name me a Ridley Scott DC that's actually better than the theatrical version?

As far as Blade Runner is concerned, I remember understanding next to nothing of the DC version, and I've never seen the original theatrical release ...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-22-2006, 04:07 PM   #47
woof

I thought the only difference was the ending...
Old 01-22-2006, 04:12 PM   #48
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

And the removed voiceovers. And a couple of scene cuts or something, if I remember rightly.

Either way, without the voiceovers the film made close to zero sense. I kept wondering why characters had suddenly gone to a different location and were no entering mysterious buildings (or something like that; it's been a long time so I may well be misremembering).

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-22-2006, 04:15 PM   #49
Elegantly copy+pasted

Let's not turn this into a Blade Runner discussion, please?

Differences between the theatrical and (so-called) DC of the movie are mainly that the DC removes the voice overs by Deckard, adds in a dream sequence with a unicorn, and cuts the ending short. More changes were planned, but it was rushed out for business reasons. If you've seen the movie only in the last fourteen or so years, it's almost certainly the DC.

(And yes, the film is brilliant and the DC is much better than the theatrical version, but as I said, let's not turn this into a Blade Runner discussion.)

Great films from the eighties? David Cronenberg had some of his greatest films in that era. Videodrome, The Fly, Dead Ringers.
And David Lynch with The Elephant Man and Blue Velvet.
And Airplane!
And The Shining
And Heathers
And This Is Spinal Tap
And Evil Dead II
And Angel Heart
And The Thing

So, I think, lots of enjoyable Hollywood gems, but few real masterpieces.

Last edited by After a brisk nap; 01-22-2006 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:06 PM   #50
delusions of adequacy

Who wouldn't retire from the job of Bladerunner, the replicants are more human than human and its your job to murder ("retire") them... how long could you do that job and still retain a conscience?

I thought the novel Bladerunner 2 was utter shit, not at all in tune with the characters and utterly anathema to the film. Throughout the original flick we're hit with constant messages about the value of a life well lived and asked to question what differentiates skinjobs from humans. But in BR2 its all chucked out the window. Deckard cryofreezes his lover-bot and thaws her out for love now and then (ugh), and later dumps her upon the miraculous return of Rachel 1.0. It reads like a bad fan novel with nothing of the poetry or moral questioning in the movie.

-----

The same topic was under discussion at another messageboard I occasionally visit and I submitted heathers and flatliners (but its 1990) as my picks... but I have to pinch from that thread a new favourite, its gotta be Weird Science. Just pipping the Bill & Ted's, all of which prove that good acting, writing or even a coherant story aren't required for a film to be "EXCELLENT"
Old 01-23-2006, 06:58 AM   #51
Epinionated.

Heathers - Mira MUST see that film. I forgot to buy/rent it for her!
Old 01-23-2006, 07:15 AM   #52
capsized.

Oh, and no XANADU??

I've got to watch Tron one day again (and finally play the supposed-to-be-awesome game, while we're at it). It's so seldom shown on TV.

re Aliens: I never got that all-action flick thing. Like it would have been one of these big-explosions-by-the-numbers-flicks it's not. It's an almost perfectly paced and super intense 120/150 minutes movie, and, while I somewhat hate that Cameron turned the once humanoid biomechanical nightmare of Scott's movie into some sort of rather weak beast, I adore how he took the source material and turned it into his very own thing. Something that the directors and script writers of the other two sequels tried, but never fully achieved (in both cases for different reasons, probably). Just the way the marines are scouting the colony complex or the aliens are attacking under the atmoshere processor are filmed... that is (our was) absolutely super intense and awesome. Mainly thanks to some clever ideas like the introduction of such devices as the motion trackers or helmet cameras. Ah, and James Horner's superb score. Yup, "The Abyss" is great, too.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:21 PM   #53
woof

What about the John Candy Films?
Uncle Buck
Trains Planes and Automobiles
and Spaceballs
Old 01-23-2006, 12:29 PM   #54
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Oh yeah, I like Spaceballs a lot.

Maybe it should've been a Star Wars prequel instead of that terrible crap that G.Lucas did.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:26 PM   #55
Lost in Adventure

Born in the 80's, I've probably seen more 80's flicks than most decades. However, most of them I don't remember because they were pure CHEESE, but nostalgic. Kind of like some adventure games...
Old 01-24-2006, 06:28 AM   #56
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
The Last Starfighter!!!!! The Wizard!!!!!! The Secret of NIMH!!!! Critters!!!! Young Warriors!!!! American Ninja!!!!! Delta Force!!!!! Flight of the Navigator!!!! Akademia pana Kleksa!!! Tennis Court!!! Ghostbusters!!!! Bloodsport!!!! etc!!!
Last Starfighter, Flight of the Navigator and Ghostbusters were my favourite 3 when I was a kid Why can't I find Last Starfighter on DVD in this country dammit???

I also liked the Burbs, Clue, Big, nice stupid movies that are perfect for Sunday afternoons.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk