You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2006, 05:46 AM   #1
Mrs. Bear

Send a message via AIM to natalia
Default Pity party

Yes, right now I'm giving myself a pity party. I haven't been posting too much since last week when I was given notice that "due to cost cutting measures my position at work had been eliminated." So many words just to say that I was laid off.

I'm actually feeling much better now, and am looking at this as an opportunity to get a job closer to where I live and to actually have coworkers again. Working remotely was a pain and it was so isolating working in an office where I was the only person working on my magazine. Since they gave me the traditional 2-weeks notice and a generous severance package, I have to look at this as an opportunity to find a job that I will really enjoy doing, without too much time pressure.

Oh, but it's so hard sometimes. I've never not had a job since I started working in college, and I'd been with this company for a long time.

natalia

It's time to start thinking positive. I've already applied for one new job and will look for and apply for a couple more this weekend.

Thanks all for listening to me ramble. Maybe I'll throw myself into some adventuregaming to take the sting off things.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:51 AM   #2
merely human

(((((natsie)))))

When one door closes another one opens.

Hang in there, sweets. You in good company. Some of us here had also been laid off at one time or another. I was laid off twice myself, from my old design job several years ago and another position at a museum about three years later.

The trick is immediately (and I mean immediately) apply for unemployment so you'll at least have something coming in to take care of those nasty heating bills we've been hearing about, food, gas, etc. You and your husband still renting?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-14-2006, 10:37 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Urg.. I'm sorry about the job. I can imagine the shock of being told that smacks you hard. But, like you said, an even better job is waiting for you. Good luck with the job hunt and enjoy the little bit of leisure time you'll have to unwind.

(((Natalia)))

Old 01-14-2006, 02:44 PM   #4
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
(((((natsie)))))
Wow, that sounds inappropriate...

Sorry about that, but, well, I can't really say anything helpful here but hang on, and as someone once said it (beats me who):
Quote:
When one door closes another one opens.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:29 AM   #5
Mrs. Bear

Thank you Trepsie, Melanie and Uptimist for the kind words. I've been on the board intermittently so sorry I haven't responded sooner.

Trep, I'm feeling better by looking at this as a window opening onto better things definitely. I think it was harder because it all had to be done over the phone since I work remotely.

Mike and I own our place, but his job is doing fairly well, so this isn't a frightening life change or anything. It's more that I don't want to let myself get into a funk and get depressed over it. I've got my resume all updated and Mike's family has several people working in the HR field, so I'm hoping I can get some good contacts there.

Thank you all so much for your kind words. This board does so much to keep me out of that depressed funk!
Old 02-07-2006, 07:02 AM   #6
Mrs. Bear

Update. I'm am right now doing a very happy Snoopy dance. Okay, maybe I'm really just calmly typing up this post, but inside I'm doing a very happy Snoopy dance .

I just got a job. It's an editorial position at a research firm, and the job is so close to my house that I could walk to work. And, I don't have to start for a couple of weeks, so I get a nice little break where I don't have to worry about looking for jobs.

Thanks again for the words of support, friends!
Old 02-07-2006, 07:16 AM   #7
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

(((Natalia)))
Bravo! That was certainly quick. I was looking forward to a game of "I'm more pitiful than you" one-upsmanship, but I guess we'll have to save that for another time.
Congratulations on your new job!

Share the love.

<3
Old 02-07-2006, 07:29 AM   #8
Mrs. Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
(((Natalia)))
Bravo! That was certainly quick. I was looking forward to a game of "I'm more pitiful than you" one-upsmanship, but I guess we'll have to save that for another time.
Congratulations on your new job!
Hee hee. Thanks Scott. It was a short pity party, eh?

I was just going stir crazy in this house. I think after working remotely for 3 years, I was dying to get a job where I could interact with coworkers again.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalia
Hee hee. Thanks Scott. It was a short pity party, eh?

I was just going stir crazy in this house. I think after working remotely for 3 years, I was dying to get a job where I could interact with coworkers again.
Nothing beats teamwork.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:48 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Congratulations!!
Old 02-07-2006, 07:50 AM   #11
Mrs. Bear

Thanks guys!
Old 02-07-2006, 10:54 AM   #12
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Well done!

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 02-07-2006, 11:21 AM   #13

Congrats on the new job!
Old 02-07-2006, 11:24 AM   #14
Mrs. Bear

Thanks Robert and jjacob!
Old 02-07-2006, 12:59 PM   #15
Banned User

Living in a small town, layoffs are a part of normal life. It has happened to my dad a few times so I know where you're coming from. Just know that no matter how bad it seems at the time, things do get better.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:22 PM   #16
Mrs. Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
Living in a small town, layoffs are a part of normal life. It has happened to my dad a few times so I know where you're coming from. Just know that no matter how bad it seems at the time, things do get better.
Thanks for the kind words, temps. I've been working on high tech magazines, so this is actually the second time I've been layed off. The first time, the entire mag new that something was going down for months, but none of us knew who would be let go (turns out the entire SF office was let go).

This time the layoff came out of the blue, which was shocking like ripping off a bandaid, but I quickly started looking at it as an opportunity.

After all that, I think I prefer not knowing it was coming. Living under the constant threat of layoff was worse for me than finding out at the last minute.

I went through a job outplacement thing, and they said that nowadays most people spend an average of about 3 years at any one job, which seemed shocking to me when he said it. Hopefully, I'll be at this new job for longer, but I'll be prepared for anything that comes down the line.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:31 PM   #17
merely human

congratulations, natsie.

but then, it was only a matter of time, anyhow. you were
to be discovered.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-07-2006, 01:37 PM   #18
Mrs. Bear

Aww..thanks, trepsie -- you're such a sweetie!