You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2005, 08:34 PM   #1
merely human

Default Passion

what is passion? what is it to you? do feel you should live with as much passion as humanly possible? can you exist without it?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 12-21-2005, 08:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
do feel you should live with as much passion as humanly possible?
No, I like to take rests and just be lazy sometimes.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:50 PM   #3
Citizen of Bizarro World

By passion, do you mean suffering?
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 12-21-2005, 08:59 PM   #4
merely human

Do you feel it means suffering? If so, why? Is only about suffering, then?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 12-21-2005, 09:02 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:

what is passion? what is it to you? do feel you should live with as much passion as humanly possible? can you exist without it?
Passion to me is to live your life with as much joy as possible i.e. to see joy and splendor in as many things around you as possible. Obviously this wouldn't apply to everything you see.

I think you should live your life with as much passion as possible but sometimes there will be times when life is not going well and you may not have the same level but hopefully some can be found to get you through those times.

No, I couldn't exist without it. It helps me to get through the monotony that is life sometimes.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:17 PM   #6
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Do you feel it means suffering? If so, why? Is only about suffering, then?
As in, the movie?
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 12-21-2005, 09:20 PM   #7

I don't have much of an answer as to what passion is for me. Right now I'm leaning towards exploring new places and trying new things. I don't like the same ol', same ol'; I need change. I want to experience fun things. I suppose my influences for this right now are Kate Walker, Indiana Jones, and Ewan McGregor. The first two I'm sure you're all familiar with, but I should mention that Ewan had a show called Long Way Round, which had him ride a motorcycle across the whole Northern Hemisphere.

My dreams are always changing, so I don't know what I'll end up doing. Right now it would be travelling on my own, and meeting new people. I'd also like to go on some long trek in a place like Antarctica.

As the question of existing without it, I think some have it more than others. I see lots of people that seem to have boring lifes, but maybe that's because their passion is different from mine.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:11 PM   #8
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
Passion to me is to live your life with as much joy as possible i.e. to see joy and splendor in as many things around you as possible. Obviously this wouldn't apply to everything you see.

I think you should live your life with as much passion as possible but sometimes there will be times when life is not going well and you may not have the same level but hopefully some can be found to get you through those times.

No, I couldn't exist without it. It helps me to get through the monotony that is life sometimes.
^ What she said.

Share the love.

<3
Old 12-21-2005, 10:13 PM   #9
merely human

"i want to be drunk. and i want to make you drunk...because i'm intimidated by you." - Henry & June
Old 12-21-2005, 10:55 PM   #10
capsized.

^ getting it on in a nutshell?

"I never wanna say my best days are behind me" (Jonah Matranga)
Old 12-22-2005, 12:20 AM   #11
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
What do you think?
Old 12-22-2005, 12:45 AM   #12

I'm a passionate guy; I get angry, or sad, or joyful, or enthused really quickly, even though I usually keep it all inside, letting it out by outbursts.
It can be great, or painful, but that's what's keeping me going.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:17 AM   #13
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Always wondered where it got its name from though
Old 12-22-2005, 01:19 AM   #14
A Servicable Villain

I regard myself as a passionate guy as well; as in that I give in to emotions heavily, by choice. For me, passion is doing everything you do with enthusiasm and spirit. When we're talking about love, that's a different thing altogether. Of course I can get into the moment, but love has become something so precarious for me (due to endless media portrayal of what it's supposed to be) that I don't have a clue what I feel and what love is. I think it'll take a decade before I figure that one out.

But you know what; I like it that way. I'll have new things to discover all my life; what could be nicer?
Old 12-22-2005, 02:53 AM   #15
Doctor Watson

Passion for me is trying to resist everyday apathy, the I-can't-do-anything-right-in-my-life-where's-the-beer? -sort of apathy. Or resisting cynism.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:31 AM   #16
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

For me, passion is happiness and living your life to the fullest. Do those things you always wanted to do and do all the things you love to do more often. Life is way too short, you must saver every moment, you never know if tomorow will ever come. Always repair friendships and relations before it makes you feel worse in the future, I guess thats what passion is all about, happyness and caring.

After talking about all this mushy stuff I think Im going to listen to a sad song and cry.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 12-22-2005, 03:36 AM   #17
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Maybe I'm going to seem old and jaded, but passion to me is overdone emotionalism. Do you find passion in deciding what to have for breakfast? or getting stuck in traffic going to work? or in shovelling the snow that the plows keep blocking your driveway with?

Yes, I can appreciate the flowers, and the scent of new-mown grass. I love the fog and the ocean in all its moods. Does this make me passionate? No, it makes me alive and aware. I can be passionate in love-making, but only just enthusiastic about other things. Beyond enthusiasm lies melodrama, and I am not that, ever, if I can help it.

Lynsie
Old 12-22-2005, 04:26 AM   #18
Easily amused

Passion for me is like the flare up of a flame, or better yet, an exclamation point. If one were passionate all the time, it would be too intense. I think it reflects a peak of heightened emotion, enabling getting the most from any experience.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
or getting stuck in traffic going to work?
If I'm listening to some great music, then yes.
Passion can be found anywhere, really.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:46 AM   #20
Mrs. Bear

Send a message via AIM to natalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpet
Passion for me is like the flare up of a flame, or better yet, an exclamation point. If one were passionate all the time, it would be too intense. I think it reflects a peak of heightened emotion, enabling getting the most from any experience.
I love this. Passion adds bright spots of color into my life. I may have been constantly seeking that one grand passion when I was younger, but now, I feel like I'm mostly seeking peace. I long for that calm, quiet place in the middle of the storm of this often chaotic life.

bleah -- even I sapped myself out with that But seriously, I'm more on the peaceful bench than the passion-seeking bench at this point in my life.