You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2006, 01:11 PM   #9421
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Case and point.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:18 PM   #9422
Second Degree Black Belt

Sybil comes to mind here.

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 08-01-2006, 01:19 PM   #9423
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

That sit-com about the out of work actress?
Old 08-01-2006, 01:23 PM   #9424
Lazy Bee

Or Basil's wife in Fawlty Towers?
Name:  towers.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  53.5 KB
Old 08-01-2006, 01:24 PM   #9425
Second Degree Black Belt

no , It's about a woman that had 13 different personalities. It was a book that was made into a move I believe in the late 50's early 60's.

Old 08-01-2006, 01:28 PM   #9426
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Why hasn't this thread died yet? Was my blog really not boring enough?

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-01-2006, 01:28 PM   #9427
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Try "late 70s", kiddo. It starred Sally Field and re-ignited her stalled career.

Share the love.

<3
Old 08-01-2006, 01:33 PM   #9428
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Why hasn't this thread died yet? Was my blog really not boring enough?
because i said all that stuff about dreamfall earlier. lets stir this thread up shall we:
DOOM 3 IS TEH ADVENTY0RR

Old 08-01-2006, 01:57 PM   #9429
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

No, no. Let's wait until tomorrow, and the next riveting entry to my new blog!

Old 08-01-2006, 02:02 PM   #9430
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage
Try "late 70s", kiddo. It starred Sally Field and re-ignited her stalled career.

thanks couldn't remember the year.

Old 08-01-2006, 02:10 PM   #9431
Sensei

God damn you people are tough.

OK fine, I shall bore you all with:

DIAPERS

*ahem*

Cloth diapers are washable and reusable and place less stress on landfills. To clean them, people use laundry detergent and water or send the soiled diapers to a cleaner. Users of top-loading washers may use 20,000 US gallons (76 m³) of water in a 2.5 year period, whereas users of front-loading machines may use 10,000 US gallons (38 m³).Cloth diaper-wearing children tend to toilet train earlier, because the cloth retains moisture, which allows the child to feel when he or she is wet and/or dirty and associate the feeling with elimination. Cloth diaper-wearing children go through about 6,000 diaper changes.If thrown into a landfill, cotton diapers decompose within six months. Cloth diapers are most commonly made of industrial cotton, which is grown in conjunction with the heavy use of pesticides. The fabric is also usually bleached white. Alternative materials which are grown without pesticides, such as unbleached hemp and organic cotton exist.

Cloth diapers have become more user friendly in recent years. Pre-formed cloth diapers with snaps or Velcro and all-in-one diapers with wet-proofed exteriors are now available, in addition to the older pre-fold and pin variety. Increasingly popular are "pocket" or "stuffable" diapers, which consist of a water-resistant outer shell sewn on three sides to a stay-dry liner. Pocket diapers are stuffed with a folded absorbent towel. Some find pocket diapers to combine the ease of use of an all-in-one with the rinsability and quick drying of a flat. Some cities offer a cloth diapering service which delivers clean diapers and picks up soiled ones for a fee. Cloth diapers may be used in conjunction with elimination communication as a back-up in case of an accident.

Incontinent persons and their caregivers often find that cloth diapers are more cost effective and comfortable when in the home.

Modern disposable diapers are generally made of a cloth-like waterproof exterior, a moisture-wicking inside layer, and an absorbent inner core (in modern diapers usually a dried hydrogel). The first mention of the disposable diaper was made by Pauli Ström in Sweden, in 1942. The early disposable diapers had an inner of many layers of tissue paper, and were able to hold 100cc of urine, which is approximately one wetting. In the 1960's, a pulp mill was used for the absorbent core, and the disposable diaper became much more popular for the families who could afford them.

Disposable diapers have overtaken the cloth diaper market and put many diaper services out of business due to their convenience and relatively small bulk on the baby. Approximately 18 billion units of disposable diapers were sold in the US in 2004.

Disposable diapers take a great deal of processing and their materials remain intact in landfills for many years -- some reports estimate 500 years. Some countries have banned the deposit of untreated waste in landfills by now, so this is becoming less of a problem; when incinerated, disposable diapers leave very little residue. Because disposable diapers wick moisture away from the child's body, children tend not to realize they are wet, which may be the reason that disposable diaper-wearing children may toilet train later than children who wear cloth diapers. As a result, these children may require 8,000 disposable diapers before they are toilet trained. The result is that, while a cloth diaper costs more per unit, a disposable diaper will cost considerably more over time, as a cloth diaper can be laundered and re-used, whereas a disposable cannot.

Disposable diapers are laced with chemicals obtained unintentionally in production, as well as intentionally in order to improve absorbancy and pull wetness away from the skin. While this system works well in keeping skin dry, it also provides a potential skin irritant.

The inherent convenience factor of being able to simply throw away a soiled diaper, rather than undertake the necessary chore of washing it, has led to disposable diapers dominating the US diaper marketplace for both children and adults.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:28 PM   #9432
The Thread™ will die.

Nice try, but they're "nappies", not "diapers" .

Old 08-01-2006, 03:23 PM   #9433
Sensei

Quote:
You asked for it.

Only human beings and the great apes experience a true menstrual cycle. Most placental mammals experience estrus instead. The menstrual cycle is under the control of the reproductive hormone system and is necessary for reproduction. In women, menstrual cycles occur typically on a monthly basis between puberty and menopause.

During the menstrual cycle, the sexually mature female body builds up the lining of the uterus with gradually increasing amounts of estrogen, and when this hormone reaches a critical level, estradiol is produced, and shortly thereafterward there is the stimulation of the ovaries with Follicle Stimulating Hormone, and luteinizing hormone. Follicles begin developing, and within a few days one "matures" into an ovum or egg. The ovary then releases this egg, (or occasionally two, which might result in dizygotic, or non-identical, twins) at the time of ovulation. The lining of the uterus, the endometrium, peaks shortly there afterward in a synchronised fashion. After ovulation, this lining changes to prepare for potential conception and implantation of the fertilized egg to establish a pregnancy. The hormone progesterone rises after ovulation, and peaks shortly thereafter.

If fertilization and pregnancy do not ensue, the uterus sheds the lining, culminating with menstruation, which marks the low point for estrogen activity. This manifests itself to the outer world in the form of the menses (also menstruum): essentially part of the endometrium and blood products that pass out of the body through the vagina. Although this is commonly referred to as blood, it differs in composition from venous blood. Menstrual cycles are counted from the beginning of menstruation, because this is an outside sign that corresponds closely with the hormonal cycle. Menses, or bleeding and other menstrual signs may end at different points in the new cycle.

Common usage refers to menstruation and menses as a period. This bleeding serves as a sign that a woman has not become pregnant. (However, this cannot be taken as certainty, as sometimes there is some bleeding in early pregnancy.) During the reproductive years, failure to menstruate may provide the first indication to a woman that she may have become pregnant. A woman might say that her "period is late" when an expected menstruation has not started and she might have become pregnant.

Menstruation forms a normal part of a natural cyclic process occurring in healthy women between puberty and the end of the reproductive years. The onset of menstruation, known as menarche, occurs at an average age of 12, but is normal anywhere between 8 and 16. Factors such as heredity, diet and overall health can accelerate or delay the onset of menarche.

The condition precocious puberty has caused menstruation to occur in girls as young as 8 months old. Some women experience their first period in their late teens. The last period, menopause, usually occurs between the ages of 45 and 55. Deviations from this pattern deserve medical attention. Amenorrhea refers to a prolonged absence of menses during the reproductive years of a woman for reasons other than pregnancy. For example, women with very low body fat, such as athletes, may cease to menstruate. The presence of menstruation does not prove that ovulation took place; women who do not ovulate may have menstrual cycles. Those anovulatory cycles tend to take place less regularly and show greater variation in cycle length. In addition, the absence of menstruation also does not prove that ovulation did not take place, because hormone disruptions in non-pregnant women can suppress bleeding on occasion.

Forum people, surrender or be prepared to lose what's left of your sanity!
Old 08-01-2006, 03:27 PM   #9434
Lovable rogue

I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 08-01-2006, 03:32 PM   #9435
The Thread™ will die.

A lecture on the menstrual cycle? I got that in Biology lessons a few years ago .

Old 08-01-2006, 05:31 PM   #9436
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob
That reminds me of a saying we had when I worked in the operating room - All bleeding eventually stops.

M
Old 08-01-2006, 07:03 PM   #9437
Sensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob
Cliche, predictable
Old 08-01-2006, 11:59 PM   #9438
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Did you notice Relek's location is "Britain"? Looks like a cut-and-paste job from an American website to me. Pah, amateur. I do original all my own work boring.
It had too much punctuation and was split into too many paragraphs anyway.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree

Last edited by stepurhan; 08-02-2006 at 04:19 AM.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:07 AM   #9439
kamikaze hummingbirds

Of course, he could be the band Busted, and be British but in reality wish they were American so they could totally chill with the 'punks' down California.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:23 AM   #9440
Lazy Bee

Let me bore you with something from real life:
My dear 15 y/o has today taken a big step in his life. He and a friend have taken the bus to Stockholm, the biggest city in Sweden which happens to be about an hour drive from here (= small town).
They are going to see the sights and do some serious shopping in all the stores that we don't have. I'm sure he's now feeling mature and urban. But I'll be spending the day being worried that he'll get lost in the city or mugged.
I've promised not to call him more than once an hour.