You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat White cheese soaked in brine...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2005, 12:40 AM   #1
delusions of adequacy

Default White cheese soaked in brine...

Otherwise known as [censored] cheese. That's right, unless its made in the particular region of Greece, it cannot be called [censored]. Damnit I can't even say the word. Not allowed.

The French barred people from making [censored] outside of the region it originated from and instead it must now be called descriptive names like "Sparkling Wine". Well now Greece is at it with their beloved [censored] cheese, I mean 'a form of white cheese soaked in brine that spreads easily'. I wonder what name will be chosen for packaging.

"I can't believe its not Feta cheese" ?

Trademarks, branding and copyright law are bloody weird.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/eu/story/0...600721,00.html
Old 11-02-2005, 06:18 AM   #2
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Eh, nothing wrong with distancing the genuine article from cheap or inferior imitations. It's still yummy.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 11-02-2005, 07:50 AM   #3
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
Eh, nothing wrong with distancing the genuine article from cheap or inferior imitations.
You make my point for me however. People will associate product allowed to use the original name as being of superior quality by default. The price for the named goods goes up, and it has no need to compete against other products made to the same specification or better.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:29 AM   #4
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk
You make my point for me however. People will associate product allowed to use the original name as being of superior quality by default. The price for the named goods goes up, and it has no need to compete against other products made to the same specification or better.
This is because, generally speaking, people are idiots.

The question is what are they basing the restriction on from a legal standpoint. Assuming you made such a product using the same process, called it Feta cheese but also clearly marked the package with it's actual place of production then would there be a legal case for suing you? For that matter, who would be in a position to do the suing? Is the name Feta copyrighted? If not, on what basis can somone claim commercial harm?

I understand the Greeks and the French saying they are banning the use of certain words. Just unclear what they can do if someone just ignores them.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 11-03-2005, 06:33 AM   #5
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan
This is because, generally speaking, people are idiots.

The question is what are they basing the restriction on from a legal standpoint. Assuming you made such a product using the same process, called it Feta cheese but also clearly marked the package with it's actual place of production then would there be a legal case for suing you?
Yes its a legally binding decision (see link in top post). I imagine any company who has the rights to produce their cheese and brand it 'feta' will be able to sue any company outside of the region, who makes a similar product and also calls it feta. It doesn't matter if you clearly label the location the cheese is produced. Feta is essentially a brand now, not just a recipe for a particular type of cheese. The funny thing is the region it came from is of course unable to produce in any quanity close enough to meet worldwide demand.

I'm picturing someone forming a company to sell off the rights for worldwide producers to continue using the word feta on their product for a generous fee as well as a cut of everything they make using it. Which would be bloody hilarious given the 'historical region grounds' that won the brand case in the first place.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:45 AM   #6
Freeware Co-ordinator

Sorry, missed the link first time round.

You're right. That is insane. Especially since the Yorkshire producers were so clearly distinguishing their product from cheese produced in the correct historical area. It does seem they are shooting themselves in the foot because of the production shortfall as well.

Taking your "international licensing" idea, I wonder if such an arrangement would result in a new court case. It seems that this would, as you say, breach the original grounds for victory in this case. Therefore were someone to start issuing international licences could the Yorkshire producers apply to have the original verdict overturned?

A case of you can't have your Feta and eat it?
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 11-03-2005, 01:28 PM   #7
Banned User

People are weird.