You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2003, 08:28 AM   #1
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Default DJ mix

For those interested in techno or progressive house (yes, all none of you), I uploaded my most recent mix here. That's 80 minutes of deep, chunky, tech/prog-house tracks.
http://www2.hku.nl/~sandmen/personal/marek/mix/

I fully expect this post to be ignored by the vast majority of people, but perhaps I'll reach somewhere out there who likes this music. Well, anything can happen.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:43 AM   #2
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

After watching the brilliant Belgian movie Any way the wind blows, I've opened my eyes to electronic music... That doesn't mean that I actually listen to it, but I'm open to suggestions... That really was a good movie, with the most excellent soundtrack I'd heard in a long while... (It's directed by some belgian musician called Tom Barman, and the soundtrack is (almost) purely electronic music.)
Old 12-04-2003, 08:47 AM   #3
rare groove

Send a message via ICQ to Pappapisshu

Interesting. I'm downloading it at the moment, it'll be fun to listen to, although I probably won't last the whole 80 minutes. Electronica might not be my favourite genre, but there's lot of great stuff in it. Mostly listen to downbeat stuff and house and the sort though.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:51 AM   #4
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Well, this is not one of those more soulful or downbeat type of things like Groove Armada that are easier to appreciate when you're not into electronica much (I like that style very much, though). My mix has a lot of that actual repetitive, boring, four-to-the-floor techno stuff going on. Obviously I do not think it's repetitive or boring, but I'm not offended if people think of it that way.

I just looked at the tracklisting of the soundtrack to Any Way the Wind Blows, and it's got some quality tracks in there. Good stuff.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:04 AM   #5
AKA Morte

It's definetly a movie that gets better because of the soundtrack... The party scene is phenomenal!

Your track was nice, btw, it didn't irritate me... (Well, except for some repetitive bits)... Why does it have to be so long, though?
Old 12-04-2003, 11:53 AM   #6
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
For those interested in techno or progressive house (yes, all none of you), I uploaded my most recent mix here. That's 80 minutes of deep, chunky, tech/prog-house tracks.
http://www2.hku.nl/~sandmen/personal/marek/mix/

I fully expect this post to be ignored by the vast majority of people, but perhaps I'll reach somewhere out there who likes this music. Well, anything can happen.
An "all your base" joke, Marek? I'm so ashamed
Old 12-04-2003, 06:41 PM   #7
merely human

Marek, please tell me that you'll keep that mix available for a while. I so badly want to hear it, as I love techno and ambient myself (sometimes I listen to Groove Salad SomaFM via Winamp just to keep an atmosphere while I work on writing, surfing, hanging in the forums, etc.). But as it stands right now I'm doing 'therapy' to convalesce and re-sharpen my mind (after a brief slip into depression): playing adventures (for the brain excercises), writing, research, analysis.......and listening only to classical music, mostly baroque and renaissance. Very soothing.

So, once I'm beefed up and ready for it, I want your music, sir! 8-)
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 12-04-2003, 11:25 PM   #8
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyos
Why does it have to be so long, though?
That's an interesting question. I guess it boils down to house and techno being based on loops, which is intended to make people dance. An average song is like 2 or 3 minutes, wheras an average electronic track is like 5 minutes (actually it's twice that length to facilitate the mixing, but you usually only get to hear half of what's actually on the vinyl). Since a DJ isn't like doing a concert with a band for 1 hour, but rather spinning a set of like 4 hours, it's become pretty much accepted that mixes on CD sort of mimic what goes on at a party. 80 minutes is actually quite conversative. Most radio mixes are two hours long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
An "all your base" joke, Marek? I'm so ashamed
Long story...

Trep: it'll stay there for a while.
Old 12-05-2003, 01:43 AM   #9
recovering AG addict

Marek,
have you ever heard the soundtrack of Burn:Cycle?
If so, did you like it? As far as I can judge, the music style is similar to your DJ-file.

jaap
Old 12-05-2003, 04:32 AM   #10
AKA Morte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
That's an interesting question. I guess it boils down to house and techno being based on loops, which is intended to make people dance. An average song is like 2 or 3 minutes, wheras an average electronic track is like 5 minutes (actually it's twice that length to facilitate the mixing, but you usually only get to hear half of what's actually on the vinyl). Since a DJ isn't like doing a concert with a band for 1 hour, but rather spinning a set of like 4 hours, it's become pretty much accepted that mixes on CD sort of mimic what goes on at a party. 80 minutes is actually quite conversative. Most radio mixes are two hours long.
Interesting.

So, do you have any reccomended lsitening for newbs like me? That are shorter than a man-hour?
Old 12-05-2003, 09:12 AM   #11
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Quote:
So, do you have any reccomended lsitening for newbs like me?
Yes.
Quote:
That are shorter than a man-hour?
No

However, here's three tips. These are very eclectic mixes, covering many different subgenres.

Soulwax - 2 Many DJ's!
A blend of dance, rock, disco, everything. Mixed by using the original studio tracks! Every song lasts about a minute or two, so there's a lot of variation going on here.

Danny Howells - Radio 1's Essential Mix (28-07-2002)
Two hour mix for BBC1's Essential Mix. This should be easy to find on any p2p program, as the Essential mixes are quite popular. Although Danny Howells normally has a very specific style (no doubt boring and repetitive to the unitiated ), for this mix he decided to showcase his HUGE record collection. All styles, from ambient to d'n'b to techno are represented in this mix.

Global Underground
This is a widely known mix album series. Some of the better ones as of late are:
GU024 NICK WARREN / REYKJAVIK
GU023 JAMES LAVELLE / BARCELONA
GU021 DEEP DISH / MOSCOW (I personally don't like this too much, but it's a really good starting point. Also check out the two Yoshiesque CDs that Deep Dish released independently.)

Also, any complation CD labeled Fabric or Fabriclive is worth investigating. This is a renowned club in London which puts out great CDs. Almost all of them are interesting, but avoid the one by John Peel or whathisname.