You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The Greatest Album Covers of All Time.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2003, 02:12 AM   #1

Default The Greatest Album Covers of All Time.

Yes.
This is the thread.

Okay..so.I created this thread for you to showcase what you feel are the greatest album covers of all time.Please note that I mention Album covers(that is pertaining to the artwork,photography,surrealism or whatever) rather than Albums(the actual music on the album).

I'm sure this thread will transcend all genre boundaries.So a rap album is more than welcome here.

You might also want to add a few lines about what you think makes the cover so special to you.

There is no limit to how many album covers you post.Either insert the image or post a link.If neither is suitable then just the name of the album will do.

I will begin with one single album cover.Just to get this thread rolling.

Led Zeppelin IV.

It is remarkable that one of my favourite albums also has one of my favourite album covers.Please note that I was not biased for one instant.I did not choose this cover because of the music that was present within.

This is a scan from the original 1971 LP.The cover that I have does not include the buildings in the background.Ironically,it is the background which provides a somewhat eerie feel to the entire album cover.
Does anyone know what the cover is supposed to symbolise ?The painting ? The buildings ?Can anyone interpret it ?What has the hermit got to do with all of this ?The four sticks ?

Last edited by mycroft; 12-04-2003 at 02:19 AM.
Old 12-04-2003, 02:34 AM   #2
Head up in the clouds

Great idea for a thread, methinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycroft
Does anyone know what the cover is supposed to symbolise ?The painting ? The buildings ?Can anyone interpret it ?What has the hermit got to do with all of this ?The four sticks ?
I don't actually know what the cover symbolises. [interpretation mode]To me it could title "We have come a long way" or maybe "Back to the roots"[/interpretation mode]. I see it as a contrast old-new.

One of my favourite covers is this one:

They did quite a few attractive covers, I have most of their earlier albums. What I like about this one particularly? The colours, the title, the topic, have a close look at the cave paintings - it's provoking, it's "round".
Old 12-04-2003, 03:00 AM   #3
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

http://www.superseventies.com/greatestalbumcovers.html - a pretty good list.

One of my favourites though is: http://www.superseventies.com/ac54whosnext.gif (take a close look at what they're doing)
Old 12-04-2003, 03:19 AM   #4
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

The only album covers I even remember are Beatles covers, and you all know what THEY look like.....

Ooops, where did THAT come from??????

Old 12-04-2003, 03:46 AM   #5
Antibacterial

Send a message via MSN to RemiO

Dark Side of the Moon. Now move along.
Old 12-04-2003, 03:56 AM   #6
Banned User

Any of the album covers designed by Hypgnosis, which include almost all of the Zeppelin and Floyd albums.
Old 12-04-2003, 05:37 AM   #7
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemiO
Dark Side of the Moon. Now move along.
Word. Minus that annoying little circle in the upper right.

And BacardiJim is spot on with Hipgnosis.

I'm also a big fan of Floyd's covers for Animals and Wish You Were Here, as well as Zeppelin's Presence cover.

I really like the cover to Black Heart Procession's excellent Amore Del Tropico; it folds out into a poster and takes on a whole new meaning. The section displayed on the front cover when folded looks complete on its own though, it's very well done. And they are not an emo band, despite the somewhat suspect name.

Godspeed You Black Emperor!'s cover to Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven is another one of my favorites.

I'll post pics of all these later if I have time.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 12-04-2003, 05:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
I'm also a big fan of Floyd's covers for Animals and Wish You Were Here, as well as Zeppelin's Presence cover.
Indeed.
Animals was next on my list.

There is something about the cover that is rather weird.I can't put my finger on it though.

I have seen you mention that Godspeed.. band earlier.I haven't heard of them unfortunately.I'm intrigued by the name.What kind of music do they play.

Last edited by mycroft; 12-04-2003 at 06:24 AM.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:17 AM   #9
comfortably numb

Both albums from Lemon Jelly... or actually any recording from Lemon Jelly. Those guys are bloody geniuses.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:36 AM   #10

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Indeed.
Animals was next on my list.
There is something about the cover that is rather weird.I can't put my finger on it though.
Perhaps part of it is the floating pig?

Quote:
I have seen you mention that Godspeed.. band earlier.I haven't heard of them unfortunately.I'm intrigued by the name.What kind of music do they play.
They play crazy weird symphonic epic rock. I honestly don't know how to describe it accurately. Their instrumentation generally consists of three guitars, two basses, two drumsets, two violins, cello for a total of nine members, but several of those members play other instruments as well, so their music often includes french horn, glockenspiel, piano (and related keyboard instruments), viola, and other things. Their songs are quite long; Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven is a double album clocking in at over an hour and half...but it's only four songs. Two songs per discs, each about 25 minutes in length. Their music never really has singing, but they sometimes set a monologue to music. It's interesting.

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 12-04-2003, 07:41 AM   #11
Banned User

Closest thing to compare Godspeed to would be old Yes or Emerson, Lake and Palmer or even Pink Floyd.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:23 AM   #12
rock star

Send a message via ICQ to myhrik Send a message via MSN to myhrik

Motorpsycho - Trust Us (1998).

"You've just gottta live with ushing the deadlies." -deadworm222
Old 12-04-2003, 06:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Perhaps part of it is the floating pig?

I think it something other than that.Any well-designed and well thought out album cover will augment the music on the album.It helps put through the artist's message.What he wanted to express through the album.I could be wrong though.

So it is partly the music combined with the cover that gives it the eerie feel.

It is certainly not the floating pig.But the factory in the background.How it seems rather out of place considering the theme of this album.Or is it ?

Here is my little theory of what the cover symbolises.

This album is not about animals. It is about man.His evolution.His de-evolution.All of the animals mentioned(Dog,Pig,Sheep) are the ones that man has domesticated ever since he began practicing agriculture.Before that,the dogs ran wild like wolves in packs.("Who was breaking away from the pack").

The factory(or whatever it is) is seen spitting out smoke.("Only dimly aware of a certain unease in the air").And the entire scene is a bit melancholic to say the least.I think the cover symbolises how man has become rather distant from his roots.And how the farms(where dogs,pigs,and sheep are normally found together) have been replaced by the modern city-like landscape as shown in the cover.And observe that everything in the background is rather dark.Symbolising the uncertain future.And how the clouds seem to be gathering above the factory.Eerie.

The most weird thing however(now I've realised) is the time of day that the cover is supposed to symbolise by way of its lighting.It is partly dusk.No signs of life to be found anywhere.

I think I'll shut up now.

Quote:
They play crazy weird symphonic epic rock. I honestly don't know how to describe it accurately. Their instrumentation generally consists of three guitars, two basses, two drumsets, two violins, cello for a total of nine members, but several of those members play other instruments as well, so their music often includes french horn, glockenspiel, piano (and related keyboard instruments), viola, and other things. Their songs are quite long; Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven is a double album clocking in at over an hour and half...but it's only four songs. Two songs per discs, each about 25 minutes in length. Their music never really has singing, but they sometimes set a monologue to music. It's interesting.
Wow...I've never quite heard something like this before.I'll buy the double album you mentioned and check them out.*

*What mycroft really means is that he is a cheap,good-for-nothing leecher.You will probably find him searching for the album on Kazaa after finishing this post.

Old 12-04-2003, 06:54 PM   #14

Mycroft: Hmm... I disagree with you about the cover. Your analysis of the album is pretty fine, I don't think anybody disputes that that's what it's about (what else would it be? of course it's not actually about animals ), but to me what's most disturbing about the cover is that it IS realistic. The factory dominates the town and obviously is the town's economic center, but there ARE towns such as that, more common during the industrial revolution. The album is itself is very real, very cynical, and very frightening. I do agree with the dusk comment, however. It really adds a lot to the picture, it's very atmospheric.

Old 12-04-2003, 07:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Mycroft: Hmm... I disagree with you about the cover. Your analysis of the album is pretty fine, I don't think anybody disputes that that's what it's about (what else would it be? of course it's not actually about animals ), but to me what's most disturbing about the cover is that it IS realistic. The factory dominates the town and obviously is the town's economic center, but there ARE towns such as that, more common during the industrial revolution. The album is itself is very real, very cynical, and very frightening. I do agree with the dusk comment, however. It really adds a lot to the picture, it's very atmospheric.
Er..ok.
But I never mentioned the cover not being realistic.When I said 'Out of place'..I meant a lack of animals on the cover ..and the factory instead.As a majestic monolith in the centre. Except the pig,that is.

Yes,the factory does seem to be the town's economic centre.The town itself seems rather dilapidated and abandoned ,as does the factory.

The lighting is indeed very atmospheric.

btw Is analysis of lyrics/music/albums a part of your course...?

Old 12-04-2003, 07:19 PM   #16

And here's what I could find of the album covers I mentioned:

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Godspeed You Black Emperor! - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven
Unfortunately, that's the biggest pic I could find.

The Black Heart Procession - Amore Del Tropico (quickly becoming one of my favorite albums)
This is much cooler if you can see the whole thing unfolded, I'll look for a better pic. Incidentally, it was illustrated by one of the two permanent members of the band.

Old 12-04-2003, 07:19 PM   #17

Led Zeppelin - Presence

I forgot about Radiohead - OK Computer earlier. Definitely a great cover.

EDIT: sorry for the double-post, but I got hit with the forum image limit

Old 12-04-2003, 07:29 PM   #18

This is a slightly better cover for Wish you were here IMHO.At least it shows the entire thing.I'll post my thought about this album/cover a little later.

Old 12-04-2003, 08:25 PM   #19
Head up in the clouds

Pink Floyd covers are on my list of favourite covers too! Wish you were here is a great one!
About the aminals cover: all what mycroft said plus in a transferred sense we are animals too. Look at the expressions: We work like animals (or dogs in English I think), we eat like animals, we behave like animals (linked to human characteristics, i.e., aggressive, stupid, stereotype (is that the English word?)) behaviour. The cover is absolutely appropriate and great! The title could also have been "Welcome to the machine" I guess but that way it's more subtle. Dogs is my all time favourite piece of music btw.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:45 PM   #20

Quote:
btw Is analysis of lyrics/music/albums a part of your course...?
Not really in this sense, since I don't study rock in school. I definitely do a lot of musical analysis (I have a 10 page paper due in about 16 hours comparing Beethoven's 7th Symphony, Mendelssohn's 4th Symphony, and Bruckner's 6th Symphony), but it's a lot different because it involves really studying the written score alongside a recording of the music. We do lyrical analysis too as it relates to music (I wrote a term paper on Bach's word painting in his St. Matthew Passion), but lyrics are much less common in classical etc. music than in rock, where most songs have lyrics. I am planning on teaching a course next year on Pink Floyd, however, with in-depth analysis of their Waters-era albums, so that should be a lot of fun. Hopefully people sign up. We don't really have any courses that study rock other than courses which cover contemporary popular music and so forth, but those are very general courses and don't go too in-depth into specific artists.