You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat What's your favourite scary movie?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2005, 01:36 PM   #1
Epinionated.

Default What's your favourite scary movie?

I was going to add this to the recent films thread, but what the hell. It's time for a new scary film thread as we wind up toward Hallowe'en.

I just finished watching A Tale of Two Sisters, and am feeling both a little scared and incredibly inspired. It's possibly the best ghost film I've ever seen. I really don't want to give too much away, but I feel the need to type something about it whilst it's still fresh in the memory. Suffice to say, like when you may have first seen Ring or Ju-on for the first time (although some may count The Shining as their scariest, it did little for me), this movie sticks in your brain like an shard of glass.

The cinematography and production design, for one thing, is utterly beautiful. This film is the "anti-Amelie" - the style evokes a Jean Pierre Jeunet-esque atmosphere that's both surreal and realistic, suiting the twisting narrative down to the ground. The performances are great, reminding me just how tepid I found The Others starring Nicole Kidman, stepping over the border of realistic to studied by just the right amount and assisting the sometimes bizarre darkness of the movie perfectly.

Even by the time the film has revealed itself to you, it still keeps going to help you unravel what's been happening. Even though you may have figured a lot of it out by that time, there's still questions and it answers them almost without words. It's wondrously directed and aptly haunting to the last.

If you see one scary movie this year, make sure it's this one. Much like Oldboy last week, its rich in content that'd win over even the most hardcore of sceptics. Oldboy, if described to someone, could sound like a sick film without merit, despite the fact it's got a ton of nuance, comedy and depth to it. Whilst this movie is without a doubt occasionally disturbing, tense and frightening, it's one of the most artistic movies I've witnessed to date, each frame adding to the drama and wonderfully composed to boot.

I can't recommend it high enough. Between this and Ju-on, I'm not sure which one affected me more!
Old 09-28-2005, 01:40 PM   #2
Banned User

I may catch some ire from people for this, but the 1990 version of Night of the Living Dead really scares the shit out of me.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:42 PM   #3
SamNMax

IT, Suspiria, Jaws.

Old 09-28-2005, 01:44 PM   #4
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
IT, Suspiria, Jaws.
**** Sam, how did you get to be so damn old.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:46 PM   #5
SamNMax

I'm askin' very nicely
Won't ya tell me very kindly
How'd ya get to be so sweet

Old 09-28-2005, 02:00 PM   #6
merely human

Rosemary's Baby did it for me. Also, The Blair Witch Project because I have a fertile imagination and love not knowing what could be out there to do me in. But for the most part no movies affect me that much.

Sammie's Ghost, from Sammie - This photo that was taken Jan. 1999 of myself. All the other pictures were normal. Myself and the person who took the picture were the only two in the room at the time. I didn't know the picture was being taken, and told her to rip it up when she had them developed. More weird pics and some EMVs at paranormal.about.com.

What really gives me a rush - and I love that - are real life accounts of the supernatural, like haunted places, unsolved mysteries, demonic possessions, poltergeists, EMVs....you know, the good stuff. Like the photo above. When my little nephew Evan was born, my brother Willy took pics of him and his mom and sent them to everyone by email. When we saw the pics, blurred movements such as those above were in plain sight. My sister was wondering what it was, and I said that it was most likely the spirit of a dead relative who wanted to see the new baby. Whether it was from our side of the family or from my brother's wife's side, we'll never know.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-28-2005, 02:05 PM   #7
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Rosemary's Baby did it for me. Also, The Blair Witch Project because I have a fertile imagination and love not knowing what could be out there to do me in. But for the most part no movies affect me that much.

Sammie's Ghost, from Sammie - This photo that was taken Jan. 1999 of myself. All the other pictures were normal. Myself and the person who took the picture were the only two in the room at the time. I didn't know the picture was being taken, and told her to rip it up when she had them developed. More weird pics and some EMVs at paranormal.about.com.

What really gives me a rush - and I love that - are real life accounts of the supernatural, like haunted places, unsolved mysteries, demonic possessions, poltergeists, EMVs....you know, the good stuff. Like the photo above. When my little nephew Evan was born, my brother Willy took pics of him and his mom and sent them to everyone by email. When we saw the pics, blurred movements such as those above were in plain sight. My sister was wondering what it was, and I said that it was most likely the spirit of a dead relative who wanted to see the new baby. Whether it was from our side of the family or from my brother's wife's side, we'll never know.
As much as it pains me to say so, I agree with the Blair Witch statement.
Here, thank me later. Free shipping.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:54 PM   #8
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

The original. The Scary Movie films never got any better.

Mind you, they were always rubbish.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 09-28-2005, 03:14 PM   #9
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

All four Alien movies? Er... or Ginger Snaps, though that's not really that scary, technically. Actually, I already had to think damn hard to come up with "scary movies", the category seems sparse in my head. I'm better off with "most lovable yet completely frightening movie villains". Scarecrow by a mile. He looks so harmless. Plus, I've a thing for psychology. (Editted because I like disclaimers: For those easily spoiler'ed, do not click.)

BoyToy made me post. Blame him.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢

Last edited by pinkgothic; 09-28-2005 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:29 PM   #10
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
All four Alien movies? Er... or Ginger Snaps, though that's not really that scary, technically. Actually, I already had to think damn hard to come up with "scary movies", the category seems sparse in my head. I'm better off with "most lovable yet completely frightening movie villains". Scarecrow by a mile. He looks so harmless. Plus, I've a thing for psychology.

BoyToy made me post. Blame him.
Omg, Ginger Snaps?! HAHAH You've got to be kidding!
Old 09-28-2005, 03:41 PM   #11
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
Omg, Ginger Snaps?! HAHAH You've got to be kidding!
In what regard? It being scary? Because no, I'm not kidding: It's not scary.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 09-28-2005, 04:00 PM   #12
Professional Life Lover

Send a message via AIM to C_Knight Send a message via MSN to C_Knight

The St. Francisville Experiment...pretty much a ripoff of Blair Witch but scarier
Old 09-28-2005, 04:15 PM   #13
Banned User

Quote:
In what regard? It being scary? Because no, I'm not kidding: It's not scary.
Actually, I thought I was the only person on the planet who has seen it.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:52 PM   #14
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
Actually, I thought I was the only person on the planet who has seen it.
Well, if I'm perfectly honest - me too. Well, that's not entirely true, because I made BoyToy watch it... but apart from that, anyway!

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 09-28-2005, 05:21 PM   #15
Banned User

Quote:
Well, if I'm perfectly honest - me too. Well, that's not entirely true, because I made BoyToy watch it... but apart from that, anyway!
I didn't see the third one though, just the first two. How about you?
Old 09-28-2005, 05:41 PM   #16
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Just the first one made. Which I find to be a really nice movie, I just love the humour. Gotta love mum.

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 09-28-2005, 07:18 PM   #17

Undoubtably Halloween 1,2 simply because their may be crazys out their like that.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:26 PM   #18
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blondebeard
Undoubtably Halloween 1,2 simply because their may be crazys out their like that.
There may be knife-wielding asylum escapees wearing spray-painted William Shatner masks out there who can appear and disappear at will?

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 09-28-2005, 09:22 PM   #19
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
spray-painted William Shatner masks
LOOOOL! BTW:

(Are you shatnophobic enough to handle this?)

Last edited by samIamsad; 09-28-2005 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:54 PM   #20
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
LOOOOL! BTW:

(Are you shatnophobic enough to handle this?)
LOL!
But he's...such...a great actor. Nobody...delivers...a line...quite like him.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3