You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat 'Some Kind Of Thanksgiving'

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2003, 07:37 AM   #1
merely human

Default 'Some Kind Of Thanksgiving'

Some Kind Of Thanksgiving, short fiction by Beiddie RafĂłl

I finished it last night. Difficult to write, as it's semi-autobiographical. A very short piece, about a young a man living in the city who again must deal with the hypocritical familial obligations of the holidays, and his ambivalent relationship to his suburban dwelling parents. Except this year it's different, something crucial had happened and his decision to keep it a secret intertwines with the resentment he has towards his family and his bittersweet love for them in the end. Please read, it's quite short. Thanks.

Happy Thanksgiving.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-26-2003, 07:56 AM   #2
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Great stuff, Trep. Your emotional connection to the story really came through. I can see where that would have been difficult to write, but it really turned out beautifully.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 11-26-2003, 09:36 AM   #3
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

Captivating. You're the man, trep.

Spoiler:
This is stupid, but I'd really like to know excatly what the pills are for... I realise it's not vital to know, but....
Old 11-26-2003, 09:46 AM   #4
merely human

Spoiler:
The pills are part of exactly what he doesn't want his family to know. Except for his sister Jen, whom he plans on telling and whom he can trust and who's the only one who would forgive him and love him always.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-26-2003, 10:39 AM   #5
AKA Morte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Spoiler:
The pills are part of exactly what he doesn't want his family to know. Except for his sister Jen, whom he plans on telling and whom he can trust and who's the only one who would forgive him and love him always.
Yeah yeah, I got their importance for the STORY. I just wondered exactly what he needed them for.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:47 AM   #6
merely human

If you truly want to know what happened to Jakob:

Spoiler:
He was diagnosed H.I.V.+ over the summer, just after the 4th of July party at his family.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:10 AM   #7
AKA Morte

I thought that was it. Thanks for enlightening me! (I've never really known the specifics of what happens when you get that.)
Old 11-26-2003, 06:56 PM   #8
Liver of Life

Gobble gobble.
Old 11-27-2003, 06:06 AM   #9
Doctor Watson

This short story I will remember because it's about subjects that concern me personally. It's also interestingly written.

I really like your writing style, Trep, and I'm always checking out your site to see if there's more new stuff.
Old 11-27-2003, 06:59 AM   #10
comfortably numb

A very nice, touching story... Lots of thoughts in my head but can't form any words to describe them at the moment.